What weight do you give your candidate's gun rights opinions?

A candidate's position on gun rights is what percent of your voting decision?

• I'm pro gun control, up to 24% of importance in my vote.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other issues are more important; more gun control is 25%-49% of my vote.

• Advancing gun control is very important, 50%-74% of my vote.

• More gun control is very important, 75% or more of my vote.

• More gun control is vital. I only vote for Brady approved candidates.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Didn't vote as there is no applicable option.

2nd amendment rights are very high on my list of concerns, but are not any more or less important than the other issues I'm concerned with.

I agree with EJJR. There are some topics that a progun candidate could support that totally disqualifies them for me. On the other, a dedicated and active antigun candidate would be problematic unless the other was some neo-Hitlerian.

I consider the candidate’s

viewpoints (he needs to believe in the same things I do), his

integrity (needs to be someone who is serving the public, not himself or his cronies), his

competence (has to understand the issues well enough to implement good programs to accomplish them), and his

leadership (needs to be able to get congress and the public behind his ideas).

Looking at viewpoints, he must be solidly pro-RKBA. If he is not, I weed him out from consideration. The candidates who meet the pro-RKBA litmus test can then be considered on the other issues and on their integrity, competence, and leadership.

If none of the candidates meet the pro-RKBA test, then I will probably pick the one likely to do the least damage to RKBA.

That was a very good question and poll, I've been thinking about the same thing lately.

That is, just how much weight is carried by the 2A in people on this forum's candidate selection.

I think it is important and usually the guys who think my way about guns think my way about many other things.

For instance Bush seems to support the 2A but he infringes on the 4A with the Patriot Act...or some say. So, is privacy more important than guns? To what degree?

It's interesting to see that we have a good variety of opinions here...hopefully this'll stay active for a few days so we get a larger sampling of TFL membership.

I start with candidates based on how they view RKBA relating to the forefathers' 'intentions', and as stated in the 2A. An anti-gun candidate will never get my vote, no matter what. The 2A is the most important issue that keeps me interested in the political scene.
After that I go for the candidates that make me believe in what they stand for, not one that waffles or flipflops.
That leaves about 3 possibles.

I have my own order of preferential topics, but that's not the poll question.
I voted the 75%, but it sounds more like I should have voted 100%.

EJJR could it be possible to approach the poll from the viewpoint of assigning a weight to your non gun rights issues then subtract it from 100%? Supposing for the sake of illustration a person was 75% a single issue voter for one other issue then it is conceivable that their gun rights voting percentage could be up to 25% depending on its place among other competing issues.

Come on! How can the right to carry a handgun be of most importance in the election for President? Isn't efficient handling of your tax money more important? Isn't a competative industry on the world market more important, etc, etc? The way I see it, being that I try to recognize the most sane Republican candidate, I know that he will be pro-gun, or he wouldn't be sane to begin with.

Religious nuts turn me off, however.

The RKBA is one of my three main issues on the national level, the others
being Right to Life and National Defense. I see a candidate's stance on the
2nd Amendment as indicative of their whole attitude towards government-do they see it a servant-or a master?

sw_florida please try to focus. This is a thread about forum members' opinions on the relative weight of gun rights issues versus the rest of the universe of their opinions about other issues. If you can't abide by the administrator's new rules for L&P discussion and the stated wishes of the thread starter (me-see previous posts) would you please just go away and avoid posting here? Thanks.

RKBA is a serious issue and deserves serious commentary. Thanks again.

Pro-gun 80-90%

Most of the time, someone that is pro-gun will carry my other beliefs as well.

The right to bear arms / protect oneself is one of the most important human rights out there. As soon as we lose this right (which might happen if Obama, Clinton, or Rudi the RINO are in the office), all the other rights may begin to fall as well, IMO.

Back