What was your first handgun and when?Do you still remember the thrill?

1911Heaven

My first handgun was a Ruger Single-Six,found under the tree on Christmas morning in 1967-I was 12 years old and had wanted it for a long time;after all,as I've related here before,back then being able to shoot as well as Nick & Heath Barclay on the Big Valley was pretty important stuff-so it had to be a single action.I remember my father taking me to the local gun store just after Thanksgiving that year "just to look".The store was owned by Theodore M. Hutcheson,which some of you here may know was one of the premier collector/traders of Colt Single Actions and 1886 Winchesters;I think I knew even then that the store was "special".Anyway,I spotted the Ruger right away,known in intimate detail from so many study hall peeks at Shooters Bible.The salesman put it in my hand and I was transported to a magic place...my father,next to me,was handling a Colt 1911 .45 (it TOO appeared under the tree that year with his name on it,and later that year began my life long love affair with the 1911)I will never forget my fathers patient instruction that year and the fun we had-although he's no longer here to ask,I believe that when he put that 1911 in his hand that Christmas morning,that he began the journey of healing from his experiences as a 101stparatrooper on Omaha Beach in Normandy on D-Day for my mother told me after his death that it was that year he finally began to talk about it and put it behind.Fortunatly,in those years,I had had my own"Big Valley"to roam with that Ruger Single-Six that I will never forget.How about you? I would love to hear your stories.

yes i remember my first handgun.it was also 1967 and i was 17. my stepfather purchased a browning challenger .22 auto pistol for me.it has a 4 1/2 " barrel and it was my pride and joy. every chance i got i would shoot it.almost 28 years ago i gave it to my best man as a gift. i was young and stupid. i wish i had just bought the fellow a tie instead. take care.

------------------

cliff

Greetings, all. The first handgun that I purchased as an adult was a Star Model B in 9mm. I sorely regret having sold it years ago. Best.

The first handgun that I owned/bought was a Sig P225 back in 1991. Remember the thrill well, because right after I bought it, I applied for my carry permit. After having carried on an almost daily basis in the service, I kind of felt naked without a chunk of steel hanging off of me. Today, it is either my carry or bedside companion, depending on my mood. If it's not my choice of the day, I carry my Glock 21. Either way, I'm well covered.

------------------
Times have changed, but the nature of man hasn't. That's why I always go to AA, "Alert and Armed". :)

My first was a Colt Diamondback, 4 inch 38 special when I was 16. I remember the thrill and how much fun it was. I shot that gun for over 20 years now and I still get a thrill out of it. Actually I just shot it friday. Cold and windy, but at 15 yds I was able to print 1" groups with wadcutters.

I will never get rid of the diamondback, it will always be with me.

My 1st was a Rossi 971 .357 Mag with a 6 inch Barrel and I still have it :)
And still love it.

------------------
"what gives a government that arms the whole world the right to disarm it's own citizens?"

My first pistol was a Colt Challenger in 1962. It was a gift from my uncle and good friend. Over the years I've killed many tin cans with this gem, oh yes, I still have it.
I hope to pass it down to a nephew of mine some day.
After starting this post, I opened the safe and got the old boy out. Yes the blue is worn in many places, the brown plastic grips are still as scratched as they were 38 years ago, but it still brings a smile to my face when I clean and oil it.
Great topic, thanks for reminding me!!!!

Mine wasn't really a handgun, per se - it was a Benjamin CO2 semi-auto .22 pellet pistol also found under the Christmas tree. I was 10, and it was a total surprise! My Father had already taken me shooting with his Mossberg .22 target rifle - I guess he could tell I was hooked, and there was no going back.

He used the pellet pistol as a low cost way to teach me safe weapons handling, and I could practice to my hearts content in the back yard (even with neighbors close on both sides.)

I still have that pellet pistol.

Christmas morning, when I was 12, a Remington 572 Fieldmaster .22 rifle was waiting under the tree.

My first handgun was a Browning Nomad .22 that I purchased in the early 70's. A buddy of mine also had a Ruger Single-Six - he had the interchangable .22 magnum cylinder for it as well.

1911Heaven - I'm sorry to hear your Father is no longer with us. He sounded like a truly fine man.

Cliff

My first handgun was a S&W Military and Police .38 Special revolver I purchased in 1944 with money earned by delivering newspapers. My mother went down to the store with me to pick it up.I used to put it in a paper bag along with a few cartridges and bicycle out of town to shoot. Doc

------------------
Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? .... Mae West

My first handgun was a S&W Model 19 4". Bought it in 1977. I had just gotten married and we lived in what wasn't a real nice neighborhood. I wasn't so much thrilled as I was relieved to have it.

S&W 629 Classic. Perhaps it was the thrill of turning 21 that made me go out and buy a .44 Magnum for my first handgun. Do I remember it? Heck, I still shoot it.

Mine was a Phoenix Arms HP-22. What a great little handgun. Bought it in 1995 while stationed at Ft Hood. I registered it on post, and could go to the post range any time I had the chance. All I had to buy was the bullets. I carried it for a while after returning to Indiana. Still have that gun and still shoot it.

------------------
This brother is free. I'll be what I want to be.
From Steely Dan's "Deacon Blues"

Recieving my first handgun was a moment I'll never forget.
Unfortunatally, my father didn't believe in handguns. He felt that guns should only be used for hunting, and there wasn't anything that he hunted that he couldn't take with either his model 12, M70 .243, or one of his .22's.
Knowing this two of my best friend piched in and bought me a S&w model 15, some reloading dies, and one of these two, being artistic and skilled at leathercraft, gave me a flower carved belt, holster, and speed loader pouch.
They gave all of this to me on my 21st birthday. To say I was shocked was an understatement.
Needless to say I still have everything they gave me.
Everyone needs friends like this. :)

My first handgun was a Ruger MkII....prolly 10 years ago. My first centerfire was a Beretta 92F. Carried that big 9mm for years, not knowing the beauty of smaller guns until I had enough money to buy whatever I wanted.

I have since traded that Beretta....about a year ago I purchased a Stainless 92FS which is just as reliable, but doesn't have all of the fond memories...**sniff, sniff**

First gun: a used RUBY(Llama) Extra Revolver in .32 S&W Long in 1995 at the exhorbitant rate of $1628(70,000 Rupees).In India we are'nt allowed to import, hence the prices. I got an offer a year later for $2906(1,25,000 Rupees).Did not sell it,I still have that baby...Sentimental fool that I am.:-)

Ahhh...memories!! It was a New Model Blackhawk, 357. Bought and paid for it when I was 17. Hadta go get my mom to register the thing. A box & a half of shells later, me & my bro were permanently hearing impaired. (I think it happened on the first shot, so why stop now?)

When I turned 21, I heard that Ruger had discontinued the Security Six. Local shop was blowing them out for $179.00 It's been at my bedside ever since, still flawless in every detail :p

Besides the Blackhawk (which I gave to my bro when I got the SS), I still possess every firearm that I've ever owned. Sorry guys :p :p

------------------
The Bible is my lawbook. I turn the other cheek when applicable, and spend the rest of my days resisting evil at every front, until I have breathed my last breath.

Howdy Friends, I'd rather not even talk about
my first handgun; cause it wasn't anything to
write home about. :o You see, it was an el'cheapo .22LR made by Arminus and called
the Burgo model. K-Mart sold this crap way
back yonder in about 1973, I think? Price
was something like $42.50 + sales tax. What
a piece of junk!!! :rolleyes: But back then
I didn't have much money. :) Wasn't till I
purchased my first Smith & Wesson wheelgun
that I even knew there was a difference. :)
But a lot has changed over the years; as I
now own only quality firearm's. No more
"junk gun's" for me. :D Plus, my wife say's
"If I buy one more gun, she will divorce
me!!!" Boy, I can't wait to make that next
purchase. :eek:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Message edited by Dan H. Ford on 01-16-00

S&W Model 19 4", practiced and practiced with it for many years. It helped me hone what few skills I still have today. Great memories!
Let my dad 'borrow' it about 15 years ago because he'd never owned a 'three-five-seven', as he calls it. Yes, 'little blue' will stay in our family for a long time.... :)

------------------
...save the 2nd. No fate but what we make...

Back