What use is a .25ACP

RHarris

I don't have one and don't want one, but I was curious what one is good for and why anyone even makes it anymore. Performance is about the same as .22LR and maybe even worse, but can't be much better if at all. Ammo is much more expensive than .22, so it's not a practical plinker either. Is it supposed to function better in an autoloader or something?

More reliable feeding in an autoloader. Centerfire rounds less vulnerable to oil contamination of the propellant. Less chance of a dud primer.

I agree with Tamara.

Also, I believe (and I don't back this up with numbers) that the .25 is a little more powerful than the .22. I say this only because the .25's I've shot seem to kick more than the .22's I've shot. I also think the case is larger, so it should hold more powder. Finally, the ammo selection for .25's is better than that for .22's (not with regard to brands as much as with hollowpoints and frangible bullets like mag-safes).

Also, the .25 gun that I have (PSP-25, copy of the Browning Baby) was not available in .22. At the time, it was the lightest and smallest (now the P32 is lighter) autoloader made. Had they made it in a .22, I might have considered it.

RHarris

I just went and got my nice little stainless Beretta Jetfire so I could look at it as I reply. I just purchased some new walnut grips from the discontinued "EL" model. It is a handsome pistol. I've read the numbers and it does appear that the .25ACP has about the same "power" as a .22LR. But in shooting the little Jetfire, it just "feels" quite a bit more powerful than a .22. Maybe it's the larger bullet. There is another fellow here with a Jetfire who thinks highly of it's abilities when loaded with Hornady XTP hollow points. I have some of those. I also have some .25ACP Magsafes. (You can't get those in a .22!) Anyway, if you do the little test that Magsafe recommends on the package, you'll see for yourself what a destructive round the .25ACP Magsafe can be. It would be AWFUL to be shot with a Magsafe!

Kentucky Rifle

I'd say anymore, not much.

I've now put over 2200 rounds through my Taurus TP-22 and have yet to have a feeding malfunction from the rimmed rounds.

In fact, I can't think of a SINGLE feeding malfunction that I have had with any of the .22 semi-autos I've fired on a regular basis, including an Iver Johnson .22, and Ruger, Browning, and Smith & Wesson .22 semi-autos.

The only malfunctions I ever had with my TP-22 was with CCI ammo. On about 25 to 40 percent of the rounds, the first hammer strike didn't set the round off. The second one did. Probably harder brass.

With Winchester Wildcat, every time I pull the trigger it goes bang.

I agree with Tamara (why am I always doing that?) As to effectiveness, I knew an Army officer who served in Korea who always carried a Colt .25 ACP automatic concealed in his boot. He was slightly wounded and captured. While being sent to the rear guarded by three cCjnese soldiers he faked a problem with his ankle, took out his .25 and shot thee three Chinese soldiers, double tapping them with two shots through the foreheab. They oied immediately. The range was about one foot. The Chinese were armed with 7.62mm Russian submachine gunwith 71 round drum magazines, but they never got off a shot. I think of this incident every now and then when some experet who has never seen a shot fired in anger tells me that a ,25 or .22 is not a lethal weapon.

comic relief?

two shots through the foreheab. They oied immediately.

"Oie, dabt hurbt. Youb shobt me ibn dub foreheab"

Sorry, I had to. :D

That's one of the funniest followups I've ever seen on TFL. :)

On the .25 ACP: I have yet to meet the .25 detractor who will volunteer to catch an FMJ out of my .25 Jetfire center mass. If you get a .25 ACP bullet into the wrong spot, you will die, no question about it. Many people have been shot and killed with .22 and .25, and I like the .25 over the .22 for the centerfire reliability.

Here's a thought: The gun is as effective as your attitude in a gunfight. If you have to use a .25 to defend yourself, and you go about it thinking, "This mousegun can't really stop someone," you will act accordingly and lose the fight. If you break out your .25 with the knowledge that it can kill a person just as dead as a .50 Desert Eagle, you will carry yourself differently, and you will take the fight to your adversary with more determination. It may be necessary to fire that gun, but if you handle that .25 like it's a Combat Commander and act with the knowledge that you are indeed holding a deadly weapon, you may not even have to fire it. I don't doubt for a second that a proficient shooter with a good .25 can be a deadly threat to me, and I assume the corollary whenever I carry my .25: I am a deadly threat to anyone who would do me harm, regardless of the caliber of my main armament.

Every time I see or hear the .25ACP mentioned, it reminds me of the quip from some guy in one of those silly gun rags:

"If you shoot somebody with one of those, and they find out about it, they're going to be very mad at you."

Not terribly relevant, but amusing none the less. :D

Five COM hits with my 25 are better than a single COM hit and jam with any .22. I disagree with the poster who said all of his .22's have been completely reliable all the time. The only reliable .22 I've ever shot has been a Ruger Single-Six. Without fail, it's always gone bang. My MK-II, my FTL Auto-Nine, my Taurus PT-22, and my Beretta 21 have all jammed at one time or another. (all are gone now save my Ruger) I've never had any malfunctions with my .25's to include an Intratec Protec 25, CZ Duo, Astra, CZ 45, and some French gun I can't identify. When I go places, the CZ's are my constant companion. (Astra moved on as I needed the money) I buy .25 ammo by the brick. Never fired a shot in anger, but would like to make sure it goes bang first and worry about keyboard ballistics experts after I save my life.

About keyboard gun experts, I'd like to interject a dose of reality. Reality is that when a gun goes bang, the bad guys mostyl turn and run. Unless you're shot with a bone-crushing round like the 454, you're not going to be instantly incapacitated. Watched some reality cop show where a punk got shot four times with a 9mm and still charged the cop.

Victims are most often easy marks. If I harden myself in the least, I greatly improve my chances of not becoming a victim in the first place. 10% differences in paper power don't ammount to a hill of beans in the face of logic. Yes, I'd challenge anybody to stand in front of my .25 and take a COM hit. Just sign a legal release first.

It beats a clinched fist!

The lowly 25 does lack in overall power but it will stop an intimate attack.

The only .22 that I have ever fired that was as reliable as any .25 was the Ruger Mk II. Its much larger and I doubt any pocket auto can match the .25. The .32 deserves some consideration here. Its only slightly larger than the .25 but it packs a much better hit.

Well, judging by what others here are saying about .22 semi-autos, I've got a rare, rare gem...

A Taurus PT-22 that has been (except for the CCI ammo problem) 100 percent reliable through 2,200 rounds.

Since that seems to be such a rare creature, who would like to start the bidding at $1,000,000? :D

If you can't carry a gun having a .25ACP is a good idea. Just remember the best .25 made is the Keltec P32. I might change my mind on that if I ever see a Seecamp .380 :D

A .25 used to be all I had. Now I've recently started carrying mine again. No, it's not a .40, but it's tiny and I can take it where I can't take any other gun. Mine is practically wieghtless and dissapears in my purse. I don't shoot it much but I do shoot it. It has never once misfired although it has scraped my knuckles. I actually had an occasion to brandish it once a long time ago when it turned out that my husbands friend wasn't really his friend when he went on deployment. Being rather ignorant of proper defensive firearm tactics I fired a warning shot into a beanbag chair. The fella decided I wasn't worth the trouble and went away, I saw him every now and then but he left me alone. If I hadn't had that tiny mouse gun I would have been totally defenseless, and a statistic.
It's not the best choice but it's better than nothing. And I don't have to leave it in my car to get stolen.

.25 MagSafe is snarly. I really wouldn't want to get nailed with one.

What I think the ammunition makers need to do is cut back on the slugs' grainage, turn up the case pressure a little bit, and make the lead as soft as possible, with the jacket thinner and ending before the nose.

I'd love to see a pistol for it with a longer barrel as well. Like the HP-25 RANGEMASTER.

bedlamite,
As I type this I'm still trying kkto sltop laughing.
RE the .25 the LEO in the Las Vegas bar shootout would liked to have had a larger cal, but he did get the job done. Admittedly it was almost at the expense of his own life. Sometimes a larger gun just isn't practicable to carry. I have a Beretta 950 .25 and though I don't carry it much sometimes it is the only thing that seems reasonable. I have on order a KelTek P32. Hope it comes in before I stop shooting.
Jerry

Point of order

The .25 acp is more reliable of a cartridge than the .22 Short. The .22 Short's two characteristics of being rimmed and short in stature makes it a difficult round to feed reliably in a semiauto pistol (the .22 LR is a different matter altogether). So, in comparison, being that the .25 acp is a rimless cartridge of the approximate height of a .22 Short, it is simply a more reliable cartridge for a mouse gun. Unfortunately, it's also more expensive.

OK you reloaders. Come out of the closet and fess up to your favorite .25 ACP powder and bullet combination. ;)

Back