what type of older (Last century) S&W revolvers do you collect or enjoy most?

mellow c, The second revolver listing you posted is reasonable priced for the appearance condition. The stocks are not correct, but they appear to be nice S&W stocks. You could possibly remove the target stocks and sell them on eBay. You could most likely find a set of correct style S&W magna stocks on eBay for less than what you sold the targets stocks.

The seller does have good feedback even if he is not a big time seller on GunBroker. I am confused by the serial number the seller provides. Most Model 10-5's will start with a D prefix SN. There maybe some earlier with a C Prefix. I did not look in the book. Since it wearing the Target stocks, you can not see the butt SN in the pictures. Just a caution, you may want to ask the seller for the SN off the butt prior to bidding.

The best way to get a feel for pricing is not to look at GunBroker listing but rather look at recent sells and also get a feel for condition and what their sell price. There should be a ton of sold listing for Model 10's.

If you look at GunBroker often and long enough, you will see overpriced listing just continuing to be relisted over and over again.

Good luck with your search.

I wish I could find another 681. The last one got away and I've not seen another for sale. Well, a couple of shows are coming up next month fairly close by.

HB

I didn't realize that you could view auctions that have ended on gun broker so easily. It is easy to look up any type of firearm and see what all has been sold and at what price.

That is very good to know and a good way to gauge what things are worth and what others are or might be willing to pay.

Thanks for the heads up, lamarw.

And yes, there are a lot of model 10's on gun broker! I'll have to do a lot more browsing and spend some more time gauging prices before I decide to take a shot at winning something. If I'm patient, I could probably get a pretty decent deal.

heavybarrel,

The 681 looks like a nice model. There are a few of them floating around on gun broker.

I'm curious as to what ya'll think something like this model 17-3 might be worth.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/775763894

I guess you could say it's worth what someone is willing to pay... In that case what would you pay? Or what do you think it "should" sell for?

It looks to be in good shape, obviously has been fired, but overall looks pretty clean and fresh.

What about a similar gun in unfired condition?

There are plenty of these guns rotating in and out of gun broker all the time, so i might find a good deal on one someday, or I could get lucky and find one locally for a decent price.

Looks like $870?:D

My analysis of model 17-3 value is something like:

$500-$650 - a nice shooter with no functional issues a 95% + original finish

$750-850 - 99%+ finish but without box, papers, etc

$850-900 - 99%+ finish, all papers, box, possibly unfired

Above this, are rare case guns and rare case buyers. Take this with a grain of salt. When I bought my 17-3 earlier this year, this seemed right. GunBroker flexes up and down.

I ended up paying $625 for a mid level shooter grade 17-3 that needed shims to lock up right. It's true value that day was $550, IMO.

Of the (too:o) many I have, my favorite S&W revolver is probably a Model 1955 Target (25-2). Beautiful, mile deep blue job and scary accurate with a superb sa trigger pull. I still compete with it at Bullseye matches.

dgludwig,

Ya mean like this one?:)

attachment.php

Don

A model 25 is very enticing in my opinion.

I like the idea of shooting a larger bullet without having to deal with the cost of 45 colt and 44 special or magnum rounds.

The revolvers themselves are pretty pricy though compared to other models and chamberings. There seem to be far fewer of them available compared to other s&w models.

How do they work? Do they all require moon and half moon clips? Or is there a little nub inside the chamber that catches on the front of the cartridge case like I've seen in more modern revolvers?

I'm a sucker for fixed sight, stainless S&Ws in .357, 4 inches and under.
One of my first guns was a 3" Model 64 which I foolishly traded about 12 years ago. My current stable is:

Model 65 3"
Model 65 Lady Smith 3"
Model 681 4"

I slightly deviated a few weeks ago when I came across a really nice blued Ruger Speed Six (.357) 2 3/4 barrel for a good price. Feels great in the hand and has a nice trigger but it is slightly redundant to my 2 Model 65s and I have a tough time with the dark front sight. Debating on whether or not to keep it.

If I find a good deal on a 3" 64 locally, I might grab one again.

Saw a pre K22 at the local shop in pretty good condition the other day for $595.....I had to say no for budget reasons, but it hurt!

Sorry to hear that Nathan:)

Blade,

I've always been interested in the speed six and security six. How is the double action and single action trigger pulls on yours compared to any of your smiths?

I'm not interested in the older models. I don't object to pinned and recessed but it's not necessary to me, and I don't place a higher value on them. Most collectors do, but I'm not one. I leave the pre-model number guns to the collectors. I'm a shooter.

What makes you think that collectors cannot also be shooters?

I have experienced a wide array of S&W revolvers of modern vintage and the ones that stuck are my 19-4 P&R 4" and 36-1 Chief's Special 3", both nickel-plated, prelock, pinned barrel. I also have a 625 PC, which is the one that I score best with at 50 feet. There are a few others, but these are my favorites. I don't use any pocket guns except my go bag bug is a 637 Wyatt Deep Cover DAO that I will keep, although my best snub is the heavier DA Interarms Rossi 88 with a nice action job.

I'm not a collector but I shoot a 15, couple 19s, 17, 586, and a 28. I would like to have a 27 and a 29. I have a 686, couple 642s and a 625JM but they aren't in the same class as the older guns. Shame...........................................

Real Gun,

I'm curious,would you mind telling me why the 19-4 and 36-1 are your favorites? I've had some experience with a model 19-4 and I'm a big fan. Great double and single action trigger, I loved the target grips and great sights. I've been eyeing some model 36's and would like to know how they compair in trigger feel to the 19.

In my experience, J-frame and K-frame Smiths have very different da trigger pulls and, imo, the ones on the K-frame are much better (smoother, lighter and zero "stacking").

Back