What type of Chronograph do you use?

I use the basic caldwell optical. I have shot it twice and its still running.

I test for a load with good velocity consistency

then i use seating depth tuning to adjust for accuracy.
Thanks Shadow. I was looking at the one that attaches to the gun barrel. They won't let me put a standard chrono past the firing line at the base. Next on my list when I get a few min loads worked up.

Look forward to chatting with you about seating depth.

I have a Procrono and have been very happy with it. It is the most basic model with no connectivity features. It only failed me once but was cheap to repair.

I use the Pro Chrony for pistols and shotguns (I rarely shoot rifles any more). Set 5' from either muzzle and I get very good consistent readings. It will hold 100 firings before needing downloading or clearing the memory. Very inexpensive to buy and uses 1 9v battery

Added: I have used mine even for checking my RWS .177 rifle pellet velocity

Last edited:
If i was planning on doing a lot of future chrono graphing, the lab radar looks worth the investment. Wish they made them much earlier, as wired chrono's work but are a pain to set up and use if more than one person on the range. Looks like you can get velocity's, accuracy testing and tighter sight adjustment at the same time?

But like others pointed out, they be spendy.

275151655_2745505135752464_3986882729540369831_n.jpg
I have a MagnetoSpeed and a Caldwell. Finally got the Pact sold. I had 7 at one point.

I use the MS more than anything else. For me, and what I do, the Labradar did not measure up.

Wish they made them much earlier, as wired chrono's work but are a pain to set up and use if more than one person on the range.
I do not have one and have not used one, however it has been said that the LabRadar being a doppler unit can and will pick up OTHER gun shots if they are near you, so it seems to me that you don't (necessarily?) solve the problem of having others at the range by using the LabRadar. The other complaints I read is that it is an extreme battery sucker, so throw more money at rechargeable batteries and that it really needs a case to protect it. For the high price to play, I think those should be included but... "business is business."

MagnetoSpeed will never be an option for me as I'm basically a 97% handgun guy.

MagnetoSpeed will never be an option for me as I'm basically a 97% handgun guy

Just need a little bit of workmanship skills and thought. I built a pistol rest for my Magneto speed. I have a few rectangular pieces of plastic that go in a slot to raise, or lower the muzzle w.r.t. the sensor. Turn the sensitivity up to 9, and I can pick up shots a good 1/2" above the blade with handguns.

I use my Labrador for rifle, pistol and archery. It is really nice for archery. Being able to track the speed of my arrows downrange helps to predict performance on game.

I use a CED Millennium and it works very well.

HOWEVER -- it requires setting up the skyscreens on a tripod 15 feet in front of the firing line, and running the umbilical cord back to the control box at the firing line. I doubt that any public or military range will take the range "cold" for the ten or fifteen minutes it requires to set all that up when there are other shooters there who want to shoot.

For the OP's situation, I think a chrono device of a type that reads from the firing line or from the gun barrel is a better solution.

I do not have one and have not used one, however it has been said that the LabRadar being a doppler unit can and will pick up OTHER gun shots if they are near you, so it seems to me that you don't (necessarily?) solve the problem of having others at the range by using the LabRadar. The other complaints I read is that it is an extreme battery sucker, so throw more money at rechargeable batteries and that it really needs a case to protect it. For the high price to play, I think those should be included but... "business is business."

MagnetoSpeed will never be an option for me as I'm basically a 97% handgun guy.

The beam width of the Labradar is not wide enough to pick up projectiles from other firing lanes, provided no one is aiming across lanes. What can happen is that the Labradar microphone will trigger off of a shot from an adjacent lane and start it's detection sequence; then it may not detect your shot if you fire before it resets. The battery issue can be a problem if you need to collect a large number of data points, I've had acceptable results using lithium batteries and placing the unit on standby between strings.

Back