What training do I need?

I'm kind of thinking you will need lots of training because based on what I've been reading here over the last month or so, you may be called upon at any moment to hit a target wearing body armor a hundred yards away in darkness when you've just been woken up. You never know!

Have looked into some local training to learn; might have to do some traveling to do better schools however.

You say you're in "SE Tennessee." You'd have to drive over the westerly side of the state, but Tennessee has two excellent training facilities:

1. Rangemaster in Memphis, TN. (www.rangemaster.com)

2. Tactical Response in Camden, TN. (www.tacticalresponse.com)

Reading those books is good. But as you are no doubt aware, that's not anywhere close to a substitute for solid, hands-on training that will include top-tier mindset lectures.

If you are able to travel farther, your could look at the previously mentioned Gunsite, Ayoob's MAG-40 class and/or Clint Smith's world-renowned Thunder Ranch (Oregon).

I have attended all of the classes mentioned thus far (except Gunsite 250), plus quite a few more. I will suggest that, for a "first class," you can't do any better than Tom Givens ("Combative Pistol" class at Rangemaster) or James Yeager ("Fighting Pistol" class at Tactical Response). These are two-day classes where you'll shoot 600-900 rounds of ammo. Cost is ~ $400 for these courses (quite a bit less than Ayoob's MAG-40 or Clint's defensive pistol class.

Quote from Camar: "You have to have an agressive mind set while you undergo training. You can attend upteen gun classes, but if you do not have an agressive mind set you have wasted your money and time".

I see nothing wrong with this statement. If I'm taking a defensive firearms training class, aren't I learning how to fight with my weapon? It's not a square dance class at the community center...:)

Last edited:
Get on the internet and find the CD Series "Bullitproof Mind" By Dave Grossman. Listen to that a few hundred times. It is very good at getting your mindset in a shooting situation. Hands on training is very important but you need to be mentally strong as well. Like others have said muscle memory is very important, you need to be able to draw that gun the same way every time and put it on target, ready to put rounds down range. You can do this in your house with your unloaded firearm.

training

Check out Rangemaster (Tom Givins) in Memphis, or Cumberland Tactics (Randy Cain) in Goodlettsville (just north of Nashville)

Quote from Camar: "You have to have an agressive mind set while you undergo training. You can attend upteen gun classes, but if you do not have an agressive mind set you have wasted your money and time".

Quote from sliponby: "I see nothing wrong with this statement. If I'm taking a defensive firearms training class, aren't I learning how to fight with my weapon? It's not a square dance class at the community center..."

Agree, you have to put yourself in a mindset that even in training you are truly in danger. Aggression toward the target/threat is paramount because timidity, uncertainty, or hesitation could mean your life. If your mind is in familiar territory and you are analyzing the situation accurately, then greater chance you will act appropriately.

As for some good training--and a positive way to help--have you checked out programs for Reserve Officers in your area?

A Reserve Officer is definitely NOT a hobby cop. They undergo the same training as regular officers, are held to the same standards, and perform the same functions--at least in most Departments.

See if your local Departments, both County and City, have Reserve programs.

Back