What to use on a black bear

Since this isn't hunting season I suggest the following.

Well since you know it is a fat one it is going to have a sweet tooth. I suggest Honey laced with Benedril antihistamines. As the bear has a good time consuming the honey he will ingest the sleeping tablets. Please see your local Vet for proper dosing. Keeping an eye on the bait pile will tell you when to call for your helpers and go find a very sleepy bear.

After that it’s up to you. You can hogtie him and call the game department to take away a nuisance bear,
Option: with the help of friends deliver him to a place of safety for him, or someplace to make the nightly news.

Oh yea – gun related – keep a big bore handgun / rifle handy in case of accidents while handling the bear

A black bear can be easily whacked with a .30-06 and 150 gr soft points.

A SG with slugs will also do nicely if you keep the ranges shorter. Brenneke slugs will penetrate better and upset less than a Foster slug.

Black bears aren't heavily boned or muscled so anything you use on deer will work on them.

.338 Win. Mag. with a 250 grain Nosler partition bullet.
Or a .30-'06 with a 200 grain Nosler partition.

Last edited:
165 grains +

Premium bullets which retain more than 95% of their original weight.

Barnes X, Nosler ballistic tip, or Nosler Partition, Failsafe etc. :)

Black bears are not hard to kill... but when they charge they are difficult to stop.

Therefore, bigger bullets will break shoulder bones, and spines, and pearce the skull better. :eek:

My one and only black bear - -

- - Was a largish cinnamon sow taken in the Umcomphagre [sp??] Natl. Forest in Western Colorado several years back. Ruger .30'06, Sierra GameKing 165 gr at about 2700. One shot at just beyond 100 yards - - She turned and ran into the brush but was down within 20 yards.

I really believe this was plenty of rifle.

Best,
Johnny

longspurr has a good point.

That would definitely take some talent, but your local animal control people should be able to help you out with dosages, or maybe a vet.

I'd definitely keep a boomstick handy when tieing him up, though. And he may chew his way free when he wakes up. I'm thinking: big dog crate for transportation in the back of a truck.

alll of these high power weapons. a .30-30 or a 16 or 12 gauge slug is just fine.

the important question is, what is available you? or are you going to buy/borrow a gun to shoot it?

Back