What to use on a black bear

Dont use Speer 50 caliber soft point pistol bullets, one of our guys popped a blackie with a .50 beowolf and the bullet did not perform at all

WildmessAlaska

I assume it's close range in WA ? If so you don't need a magnum. A heavy bullet ,premium even better .308 -165 or180, 30-06 -180, 358W,35 Whelan, and my favorite 45-70.

Any deer rifle would do....

Black bear are taken every year with nothing more glamerous than the hunter's standard deer rifle. I would use a somewhat more solidly constructed bullet (not a Ballistic Tip...), and heavy for caliber.
From your list, the muzzleloader, the .44 Mag and the shotgun would be great for shots out to about 75 yards, but I don't see anything on your list for longer shots.
I'd not set out to use the AK round on Black bear, unless I really had to.

lots to pick from....

270 in a 150g. SP, 30-06, 308, 45-70, 280, 7.62x54, 7mm, 35, 303, and I might call my minimum on Black Bear 30-30..... Lots of choices but I would use a soft point that seems to work well in my past hunts. ;)

How would a slug gun work? I'm not sure if it would destroy too much meat though. Another thing is I'm not sure of what the regulations are for using shotgun in WA.

We are talking maybe, MAYBE a 50 yard shot if I have scoped the area right. The neighbors of a friend are feeding this damn bear, and its destroying his bird feeders and his garden.

We know what route it takes, and are just fiddling with where is the best way to take him.. and with what. Think a 30.06 will do it for him? I was thinking my Super Blackhawk for myself maybe... with the right ammo.. which would be?

A shotgun with slugs is more than enough. Even a 20 gauge with Winchester Partition Supreme is a .45 sabot with only slightly less power than a 45-70, with a 3" elevation window out to 150 yards.
In that .44 you want a hard cast lead bullet for penetration and a tough bullet to smash bone. Federal makes the Premium Vital Shok (correct spelling) Handgun Hunting round with 300 grain cast core bullet. Federal

Midway sells them, along with several other cast loadings.

Don't know the game laws in Washington, but here in Pennsy it is illegal to shoot over or on a bait runway. Since the neighbors are feeding it, and you want to hunt the runway the bear is using. In Pennsy you would get a $500.00 fine, loss of your license and confiscation of your weapon. Please make sure of your applicable regs.

Bait

It is illegal to hunt over bait in Washington. However, this is not a baited bear, this is a bear that is eating bird feed.

Bear season (general) opens 1 Aug, runs through Nov 15....

If you need help, let me know. My Mosin-Nagant is, as of yet, unblooded...and my sweetie is after a bear skin...

i would.... take the .30-06 loaded with 180 grain partitions

How would a slug gun work? I'm not sure if it would destroy too much meat though.
i think a slug gun would work too.
i dont know about down there but here in saskatchewan bear meat can be left in the field. its the only game animal where useable meat can be left and all you have to take is the hide.

Any medium bore rifle launching Nosler Partitions, though probably any tough bullet from a 6.5mm on up ought to work.

were i ever to get a bear tag, i'd use 30-06 for black. a premium 180-grain bullet would be a sufficient pill from what i've had shared with me, but i'd probably break out something in the 200s for the occasion.

A fat one? A .30-06 or a .444 Marlin.

444-06.jpg

Back