What to use for Snakes on a Plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Within a few seconds the snake will start to follow the barrel with its head. Now shoot. A snake's vision is based on heat

A little scientific flaw in this. You are right that a snake sees thermal images, however a gun, being an inanimate object, does not give off heat to follow while your body does. Next, the speed of a fired bullet far exceeds the striking capability of any snake. Good Mythbusters idea though!:D

:rolleyes: I cannot believe that I'm actually going to respond to this thread, but here goes :D .

A snake's vision is based on heat
Half truth. Only pit vipers, and members of the boa and python families have this ability, and all have eyesight. A snake's vision isn't great at discerning detailed images, but it's perfect for detecting movement. Senses and a determination of whether or not to strike are further enhanced by the Jacobson's organ, which allows them to "taste" the air. That's what tongue flickering is doing. Put them all together and you have a super predator.

Some snakes, like mambas, rely almost entirely on detecting movement via vision, but it doesn't hamper them in the least. Everybody knows the black mamba is probably the most dangerous snake on the planet, and it doesn't have heat sensing ability.

What Really Happened

Many years ago an Air Force KC-135 took off from somewhere in the Middle East. As soon as it reached cruising altitude, the crew noticed a cobra in the cockpit.

The pilot ordered the flight crew to don their oxygen masks. Then he depressurized the aircraft. The snake didn't do too well.

I suppose an airline could do the same. Have the passengers put on oxygen masks and let the air out of the plane.

TexasSIGMan said:
It sounds like Hollyweird's tank is almost on "E" with ideas......

Yesssir...I agree.

Especially every time they hash up a comic book character, or re-hash old movies...

The latest one I saw an ad for was Steve Martin as "The Pink Panther"...

I'm sorry, but NO ONE can equal Peter Sellers as Chief Inspector Jaques Clousaeu...Any attempt is lame.

:barf:

Last edited:
everybody gets their seatbelts on

and the pilot turns the plane upside down

Presto, the snakes fall out of the plane because they lack opposable thumbs!

Okee-doke. This one's been good for a chuckle, but unless I see "CHP holder defends airline passengers from horde of snakes" on CNN, it just ain't real world.

Let's put this one to bed with the zombies and space aliens, and concentrate on real tactics and training ;) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back