What to use for bunny bait?

jonathon

What can I use to bait rabbits? We got a LOT of them around here.. but they usually hide in the brush(Only once and while do I see one in the field..)

Yah corn works well. When I have my feeders set up I pretty much feed the rabbits, crows, coons and squirrels. Not to many deer :rolleyes: Butch

hmmmm

I must have dumb rabbits around here, then. They just sort of hang around in the sheep pasture and watch me feed the sheep....

In another month or so, my 12 yo son is about to use the 20 gauge solution to that issue..

Seriously, apples work very well. It really depends what time of the year you want to feed them. Corn and similar grains work great during the winter months when food supplies are reduced. In box traps. the apples used to be the bait of choice.

If you have never hunted rabbits with dogs, it is a real blast. You can get hooked really easy. In my youth, some of my most memorable hunts were for rabbits using two dogs after school. Started with a shotgun and that got too easy as I loved the chase more than the actual kill. Gravitated to using a 22 auto rifle and then moved to a double action 22 revolver (actually both). Great Fun!

Block off the rabbit holes with logs or big rocks - except one that opens into the largest open space or sparsest cover. Stand beside the open hole facing away with a suitably loaded 12 gauge while your buddy introduces a well-fed ferret into one of the other blocked holes. Then shout "supper's up"!

Believe me, they'll take the bait. And yes, if you want real sport use a .22 rifle or handgun.

A solar powered carrot feeder that dispenses carrot chips at pre-determined times. Could be a patent in that for someone... :)

theyre too stupid around here i couldnt find it in my heart to bait em. i just pick em off with the scoped remmy 597 anywhere between 10 and 80 yards.

Another vote for apple slices. Its what we use when trapping to restock our beagle training pens. Really only works in the fall/winter. To much natural food supply during the spring/fall.
If you want some fun, find you a couple of good beagles to run them with.
Will

Back