What to look for on a Enfield

I have a couple of Enfields that are all ready modified...may be able to work out a trade if you are interested.
I have a nice unmolested Russian Mosin 91/30 I would be willing to trade. My Enfield was handed down from my Father so it has much more sentimental value than resale value.

"...Is the Enfield as good as..." Lotta fights have started with that. snicker. For hunting, the .303 will kill any game you care to hunt, just like a .30-06 or 8mm Mauser will. It's been used up here for eons, just like '03's have Stateside. And unbubba'd rifles have gotten just as pricey.
Biggest difference is the felt recoil being more due to the narrow butt stock. Isn't insurmountable though.
"...Lots of 1/2 truths there..." You've repeated exactly what I said. In any case, CF weapons techs don't use the Field at all. If a rifle closed on a No-Go it was taken out of service. There's no such thing as a 'GOOD' or 'NO GOOD' headspace gauge. Nowhere did I say slugging has anything to do with the muzzle or throat either.

There's no such thing as a 'GOOD' or 'NO GOOD' headspace gauge.
Those exact terms weren't used I was paraphrasing to indicate that you can't apply SAAMI standards to CIP specifications because they won't fit. That is the reason the terms were in quotes.

The exact correct terms are:
"5220-21-107-2625, Gauge, Headspace, NOT GO. 0.0740 in. gauging lg."
&
"5220-21-107-2635, Gauge, Headspace, NOT GO. 0.0700 in. gauging lg, 1 C1A1149 U1515 for rifles No 4 Mk 1 cal .303 W/oversized locking shoulders."

Nowhere did I say slugging has anything to do with the muzzle or throat either.
I don't think I ever said you did, there were others replying in the thread talking about those things, it wasnt all about you.

Hi,

I have a Lee-Enfield No.4 mk2 and it is a great gun to shoot. Many of my friends I shoot with collect Enfields. I think almost all of them say that the No.5 Jungle Carbine has a 'wondering zero' to a lesser or greater degree, but they still love shooting them!

If you're hunting, then the short length would be an advantage in limited distances, but at greater ranges, that 'wondering zero' may prove a pain in the obvious (and not just for you!). Also, if your son is young or of small stature, he may find the recoil a bit much.

The No.4 mk2 is said to be the best of all of them and I certainly love mine. It is quite long, but well balanced and reliable. It is easy to use and the bolt is easy to operate.

You can also use stripper clips and bandoliers should you feel the need to run to hills and grow a beard! Also, remember that when you put the second clip in and have pushed the rounds into the mag, you just push the bolt forward and it ejects the clip as it chambers a round.

Hope that helps.

I have to ask. How exactly do you define wandering zero?

I have a No4 Mk2 & a No5 Mk1 & there is a huge debate about the existence (or not) of the No5's wandering zero here. Unfortunately no-one can tell me exactly what the wandering zero consists of! Is it POA on Monday & Off on Tuesday? Is it drifting as it warms up? is it predictable or seemingly random? Is it a combination of moving between shoots & drifting during them even?

Can you describe exactly what the problem is perceived to be in the UK so we can get a fresh perspective?
Thanks.

What I have seen is that there seems to be a lack of consistency. You can have a perfect group, exactly where you want it, or a number of groups in different locations. Others have been lucky and have no issues. I will ask the actual owners for their opinions on their individual guns and come back to you. Everyone still likes shooting them though.

Back