What to look for in a Garand?

Best wishes finding any service grade Garand that'll shoot any ammo inside 4 inches at 400 yards; all shots fired, not the average, mean radius, smallest group or anything other than all shots fired in a CMP GSM shoot. You might find one combination that'll shoot inside 6 inches, but even one that shoots inside 5 inches won't cut the mustard keeping all hand held rifles shooting inside 7 inches at 200 yards; that's the size of the CMP GSM 10-ring on the NRA SR target. Folks shooting those events will add at least 1 MOA shooting prone (a lot more sitting and standing) to whatever the rifle and ammo shoots

The claim was based on gauges saying the barrel was shot out. One with such measurements will be less accurate. There's 1 MOA slop in their rear sight, even if brand new.

Last edited:
Hi, Madcratebuilder,

You are correct on the M1 rifles sent to England. I was thinking of the million plus M1917s that were sent in 1940; those definitely were pre-Lend Lease. (The Lend-Lease Act was not passed until March, 1941.) No M1 rifles were sent that early that I know of.

Jim

It's impossible to keep all facts and figures straight 100% of the time. I'm can't even figure out if a original 3.7 mil Rem 1903a3 should have a large bow or small bow TG, blue or park?:mad:

Back