What to get Next???

As others suggest, an SKS or M-1, if the prices are acceptable. My first Yugo SKS was almost not even spotted at a recent Memphis area gun show
(remote rear corner).
The M59 is fairly hard to find, as it is in a minority which was mfg. Without the gr. launcher, and sold in exc. condition for $375. But prices in CA?

Otherwise an M-1 Garand, only from the CMP, if you can increase your budget and are willing to wait a good while. You might be well aware that the CMP could have very few M-1s added to its inventory, and their M2 Ball price just went from .50/rd. to .60/round on December 20th.

Last edited:
I know you didn't want the same type or from the same country BUT, I would include a K31 while you can. MHO:rolleyes:
Also by limiting countries or types you back yourself into the "I should have bought that when I had the chance" position. Again MHO

Budget aside, if you have the funds to make a milsurp purchase every other month or so, you can't go wrong with any quality rifle even if it is a duplicate of what you already have.

The great golden days of milsurps are gone, and what is left is disappearing. Demand is greater than the number of collections coming on the market and prices are going to rise.

DennisCA: Unless you seldom shoot most of your guns, quite frankly I would First buy ammo for a definite new gun type. Glad I did so for my first Enfield in '09.

Panics seem to cause much higher price jumps and shortages for ammo than most milsurp bolt-action rifle types.

The next panic could begin the day after tomorrow.

I would really like to know who was seeing ammo shortages in old bolt action cartridges?

seems like 303, 30-06, 6.5 swede, 7 and 8mm mauser and 7.5 swiss were all still readily available anywhere you looked during the shortage. with the only two C&R elligable cartidges hoarders hit being 7.62x39 and x54R both of those were still not overly difficult to find, though the prices took a turn for the worse.

Makarov caliber pistol
  • E. German/Bulgarian/Russian Makarov Pistol
  • CZ 82

Can be easily found under $400, nothing like what you have shown, and would definitely be different...

Back