What to get Next???

DennisCA

This what I have so far, so the thousand dollar question is what to get next?
(it use to be a million but the us dollar's value isn't what it use to be)

Here's my criteria;
* About $400 to spend (I've all ready bought a couple of guns over the past few months)
* Don't want a similar type gun or from the same country

Here's what I have so far:
s9ob.jpg

From let to right:
Laminate 91-30 MN
Finnish M39
Enfield Mk 4 No 1
Remington 1903a3/Sporterized ** (not by me-bought it that way)
Yugo 24/47
Swiss K-11
Polish M44
Steyr M95 Austrian

** = Future restoration project

K-98 Mauser
Arisaka
SKS
Unsporterized 19033 ;)

I'd also suggest either an M1 or M1A carbine but, having $400 to spend, you're only halfway there.

well you've got the big ones down. mosin nagant, enfield, mauser, springfield. now thankfully most of your options fall under that $400 window. I could recommend 3 things.
1. in my opinion, the best of the three, a japanese Arisaka.
2. very close second, a chinese SKS, little less tempermental about cleaning than the yugo ones in the same price range.
3. a very distant 3rd place, an italian carcano.

I find it hilarious that the OP says he has a $400 limit and people are recommending K98s($1000+), M1 carbines($1000+) and M1 garands($650+). especially when he said he doesn't want anything similar to what he already has and he already has a K98 based mauser.

I must have became a big fan of the SKS sometime ago. Already having 9, I would still pick up another one if I liked it and price was right. So you can guess what my vote would be.

I find it hilarious that the OP says he has a $400 limit and people are recommending K98s($1000+), M1 carbines($1000+) and M1 garands($650+). especially when he said he doesn't want anything similar to what he already has and he already has a K98 based mauser.

Do you, now?

Are K98ks really $1000?

He has a 91/30 AND and M44, so he's not strictly opposed to having similar weapons from different countries, hence the K98 suggestion.

Except for an Arisaka, which I know nothing about and may be disqualified due to price, there's nothing out there that strictly meets his requirements. No one wants to post that.

directly taken from the OP

Here's my criteria;
* About $400 to spend (I've all ready bought a couple of guns over the past few months)
* Don't want a similar type gun or from the same country

and I've listed 3 which strictly meet's the OPs criteria, italian carcano, japanese Arisaka, Chinese SKS, there has also been the recommended French MAS36. right at the upper end of his budget is the swedish mauser which is a cock on close design which gives a very different feel from a M98 mauser as well. all fall in his pricerange, all are uniquely different from anything he already owns, and all are from different countries from what he already owns. strictly speaking, it is not that difficult to come up with something besides K98 and M1 carbine. and yes, a K98 in good condition in original configuration goes for well over $1000 these days.

Question: IS $400 to low of a limit?
no it isn't. as I've stated there are a lot of guns that still fall into that $400 bubble. there is still a lot out there for 400.
swedish M96 mauser
french MAS36
Japanese Arisaka type 38 or 99
Chinese or yugoslavian SKS
all well within $400. now if you're looking for a semi auto(other than the SKS) then you're going to have to go up considerably.
M1 garand(from CMP is $650, from private collectors $1000+)
M1 carbine($1000+)
SVT40($1500+ unless you really shop around)
if you're not dead set on rifles(which CA may not like much), there is also the Tokarev pistol and all of it's copycats for about $200 and there are still a couple P38s available for right around $400.

here's a japanese type 38(non parts matching) for $225

here's a chinese type 56 SKS for $300

here's a swedish mauser starting at $350

I personally have a beater MAS36 that I would gladly let go for $300 and it even comes with dies, factory ammo and brass.

Back