What to do with my Kimber

Checker the front strap 20 lpi or 30 lpi
Definitely change the sights .. Novak or Heinie your choice
Install a match bushing
A magwell of some sort
Install Ed Brown Ambi Tactical thumb safety
Trigger job
New wood grips

get the fronstrap checkered, and a good set of wood grips, if you cant aford the checkering get the wood grips. I ordered mine from wilson and the grain is first rate.

Buy a reloader and develop your own loads, make lots of ammo low power target ammo, and hot rod hollow points.

I have a custom classic target 2000+ rounds I love it.

Some of you are really psycho!
Thanks for the responses. I think that I see a pattern to go with, and will follow the excellent advice given. How could I go wrong. The compassion that you have show for this firearm is overwhelming... sniff...

BTW, master blaster, I just ordered the Hornady LNL! So I will be cranking out a bunkers worth...

Thanks again guy.

Bergie, if it ever needs a good home, you will be the first...

Ron, you still miss the point. Doesn't mean one wit to me what you post...but you're being very rude to the original poster. Sorry you can't see that.

If it works fine, some custom grips might be nice. Likewise, if you want to spend bucks, get a new finish or some checkering done.

I'm left handed, so I had an ambi safety installed on my Springfield. The damn thing was too wide for comfortable carry, and so I had the left side (for right handed users) milled off. If you are right handed, my suggestion--don't add an ambi safety.

Now see what you did M16. Shame on you.

RikWriter:

I suppose I owe the original poster an apology. I gotta confess that I only posted the boat anchor remark to piss you off. I guess it all goes back to the thousand dollar screw job that I got from Kimber. I really get a kick out of you. You keep telling me that you don't care what I post, but you have been countering my remarks and defending Kimber at every turn for 14 months (yeah, I kept track). I think everyone knows by now not to pay much attention to either one of us. I mean, it's well known that I hate Kimber with an unrivaled passion, and it's equally well known that you are the ultimate Kimber pimp.

So Ron, since I don't mind telling people about the good experiences I have had with the many Kimbers I have encountered, that makes me a "pimp?" Frankly, I am disappointed in your attitude. So you disagree with me about Kimbers...so what? Is that a reason to attack me personally? Is that a reason to disrupt someone else's thread with cheap shots you now admit were posted just to get a rise out of me?
I also staunchly defend the 1911 in general and the AR15 when they are badmouthed, but I don't notice you calling me a "pimp" for that. Maybe you should try a little thing we call "perspective."

Back to original question

I would have it NP3ed by Robar. I have several 1911s that have had it done, 2 of them Kimbers, and I like it a lot. It will eventually wear some, but it is really easy to clean and I think makes it function a bit more smoothly. Robar seems to be fairly prompt now, as I just got 3 pistols back from NP3ing after only 3 1/2 weeks. Regards.

I too own a kimber(custom classic) and was at a loss to "spice" it up a little. In that vein, I have installed night sights within the stock mcormick sights, added a piece of skatebord tape to the front strap, a wilson slip on mag well and some ebony black ahrens grips with wilson allen head screws. It is simply one quietly elegant and functional fighting pistol w less than 175.00 worth of adds.

If it is functional I say don't mess with the guts of it at all. I wasn't really tempted to add anything to my Kimber Stainless Target except some rosewood grips from Kimber (which were nice, but not perfect). Since my Delta Elite was fairly bare-bones, I'm having a gunsmith add:

o Wilson Combat match trigger (replaces original plastic unit :barf: )
o Wilson Combat extended tactical thumb safety (because I find it hard to manipulate the stock item, and their "tactical" version isn't too wide)
o Novak night sights (the night sights the gun came with are ugly, the sight picture is mediocre & the tritium is starting to crap out)
o Eagle Grips ebony double-diamond checkered grips with Wilson Combat hex-head grip screws (stock grips were butt-ugly, damaged on top of that, and the original grip screws were ugly and scratched up, too)... and I'm having the Delta Elite medallions fitted to the stock grips because, well, it will look cool. :D

It is also getting a complete reliability job so it will feed Winchester 175gr STHPs, but again if your gun feeds your carry ammo 100% don't mess with it internally. Checkering, stippling or scalloping the frontstrap is good if yours is slick; my Kimber's was but my Delta Elite's isn't so I'm leaving it alone. I like the feel of the stock semi-beavertail grip so I'm keeping it, too.

Add what you want, change what you don't like, and keep what's already good for you and you'll be on a happy road. :)

C.B.

[Edited by CastleBravo on 04-09-2001 at 06:26 PM]

Back