What to do when your gun gets too big for your pants?

My pants are 5.11 tactical, and the pockets are too large for pocket carry of my S&W M640Pro. I need to make the holster bigger, so the gun and holster doesn't lay horizontal in the bottom of the pocket. I have put a 4 inch M686 in the pocket fully concealed.

Best,
Rick

There are ankle and calf carry holsters but they are hard to get at under the best of circumstances. The belly band is an option as long as the shirt can hide it as is a shoulder rig under the shirt. I have never liked the IWB or pocket carry but if it is what works for you then modifying pockets or getting jeans that have larger pockets is also an option. I wear pants with "cargo" pockets when hiking and if you could find them in denim it might be a good substitution for you as long as the dress code allows.

On the gun side Cobray makes a cheap derringer that will fit most any pocket. I have one in 45/410 that I sometimes carry as a back-up with 410 slug rounds in it. The slug rounds have higher muzzle velocity and better accuracy than the 45 Colt rounds. I usually carry the derringer with shot shells for snakes.

"What to do when your gun gets too big for your pants?"

You have two options. You either get bigger pants or a smaller gun. You need a J-Frame or equivalent sized revolver. I understand that money is tight and that you're not willing to trade in your N-Frame, so here is a good option:

You can get a Taurus M85 with blued steel frame right now for $209.99 here: http://palmettostatearmory.com/taurus-pistol-model-85-2-blue-38spl-2-850021fs-85b2fs.html They are also currently offering a $40 rebate which knocks the price further down to $169.99. This is an unbeatable deal on a new revolver. You probably can't even get a Ruger LCP for that cheap. You said you can afford to spend up to $150 on a holster, so laying down an extra $20-$40 for a new gun instead should be doable.

This M85 having an all steel frame and an exposed hammer is not the ideal snubnose for pocket carry but if you managed to pocket carry an N-Frame before then you can manage this. Alternatively, you can get the "Ultra-Lite" version for $10 more.

Actually, you have a third option, but it's one that you don't want to hear... force yourself to get accustomed to carrying IWB, at least for the time being. If you sit a lot, pocket carry is not a good plan anyway as you won't be able to get to the gun quickly enough in a seated position. You could drop $50 or so on a decent IWB holster for your N-Frame instead and that would be your cheapest bet for now until you can get a J-Frame or something. Since you've lost so much weight carrying IWB now shouldn't be so much of an issue as it was before.

Last edited:
Money is alot more slim and so am I. I have lost 110+LBS and about 8 inches of waist line (I am still pretty tall at 6' 6").

First, let me say, "Good for YOU!" ..... it is, you know: you'll live longer and have more energy to enjoy life without carrying over 100 pounds of dead weight around with you.

Second, I can't tell you how to carry such a large gun in smaller pants: I tried to carry a Ruger SP101 IWB ..... wheelguns don't carry IWB well because, I have concluded, the are round ..... my answer was to go back to ol slabsides .... but a smaller version of it..... and keep the wheelguns for range toys and last ditch HD guns.

Back