What to carry...

Decisions decisions. :p

This article was written by a guy who work in a morgue and has some interesting stuff about calibers. He says the 9mm barely done it but took multiple shots. He preferred no less than a 40 but the 357mag is top notch.

This article is very long but it started with calibers then go on with knives etc.

http://www.gunthorp.com/Terminal Ballistics as viewed in a morgue.htm

That's an old article. Not valid anymore. Ammunition and the technology behind it has improved a lot in recent years.
Again, a HP in any of the major calibes will do. Just carry a reliable gun, from any of the major manufacturers, that feels good in the hand, carries good and shoots good.

sig p 226 or Glock 17?

help please? in texas starting jan 1 open carry goes in effect. any suggestions on what is a good balance ( o pun intended) between safety carrying and reliability?
I was thinking about either a glock 17 or sig 226??????

The one with the decocker so you'll have DA/SA trigger. It's safe to have it in DA with a round in the pipe.

I carry my HK USP 9mm in DA mode and leave the safety off.

If anyone can guarantee that I will not need more than 7 shots?

I will pocket carry my 9mm Mini Glock 43! The nose sits in the built-in change pocket, no need for a holster.

No guarantees? OK! My Glock 19 Gen4, gets the nod, same gun, same place (OWB) right side, around 4 o-clock, 16 rounds of 147g 9mm Win. ranger.
TruGlo fiber optic night sights, extended slide release, 4lb trigger.

G17 spare magazine on left side of belt, next to a Surefire flashlight.

Benchmade folder. Opens a lot of envelopes!

Happy Birthday. You check the Obits to be sure? snicker.

There are a few of us out here that probably can still out shoot you young'uns.;)

I'm 80, and check the obits everyday before heading out to the range.:)

Happy (belated) Birthday.

I buy custom made holsters from Rudy at Black Hills Leather. The cost is about $20 more than a premade holster, but it's quality lined leather that will FIT. I carry my PX4 Compact in a sliding belt holster, a model I prefer...:D

Last edited:
Original OP;

I have carried HK's & Sigs, lately I carry Hornady American Gunner 124 gr. +P in an HK P30 (V3). I used to have a USP40 and that was an excellent gun, kind of wish I still had it, but I kept the P226 in .40S&W that I liked better. I vote for the HK USP.

Compact, concealable and powerful...not the firearm, but the ammo. I carry the newer Ruger LC9s with a sweet trigger and loaded with Hornady Critical Duty ammo. With deep pocket and pocket holster, it's safe and handy.

Jamminjimmy. Get a real security holster. Safariland with ALS is a good start.
I have open carried every day for 32 years, In uniform. Off duty, I try and be invisible and have no desire to open carry. You need to be very conscious of an open carried firearm. And, it will bang into everything you come near. You get stuck in office chairs. (Look how beat up cop guns are)

All modern guns are (generally) mechanically safe to carry with a loaded chamber. But, Some are much more forgiving of careless attention than others. That's a decision you need to make.

Wherever you choose, either get a blue (non firing gun) or be incredibly safety conscious (unload..check again...go to a room that has no ammo..search you and your training partner for loose rounds or loaded mags..check it unloaded again (you get the idea) and let him try and snatch your gun. Learn how to defend against it. Take classes. Learn.

In some parts of Texas, it's just a gun on your hip. In other places, you may have to defend it.

Reference Old Guys shooting good? When my Son and I go for our mandatory G license training, there is always someone makes the comment to him...
"Your Dad outshot you" My Sons reply (He always does) very simple course.

Back