What to carry for dangerous game

Troponin

I head up north once a year to hunt dangerous game. Bear and cat mostly. I normally just carry a .357 magnum for that "just in case" situation, not to mention, I am just used to carrying a gun for defense anyway.

Would a .454 be appropriate for big/dangerous game? Is there really a benefit to have a .480?

Yes, I think the .454 is a good choice. You can load it down to .45 colts for puma, wolves, black bear, wild hogs, and feral dogs, or up to .454s for brown & polar bear. But really, that .357 with 180 gr hardcasts may be just as good as a .454, if you can get 2 shots off for just 1 of the .454 (while you're recovering from recoil).

i like the 460 s&w. it can shoot all three (460 454 45 colt) and it shoots a 200 grain bullet somthing a little over 2000 fps. the only problem is youll have to bleed for one, so maybe a 454 is your best bet.

I have a 10.5 inch barrel .460 and it's actually fine shooting the Hornady 460's...not too much kick at all. Not sure how a smaller one would handle, tho

I don't want something with a big barrel. It's not going to be my main gun to hunt with, just more of a back up/defense gun. I was actually thinking something like the Alaskan.

Oh, lawdie have mercy - $20 worth of survival gear, and an orange-handled 2.75" revolver in .500 or .460 mag, all in an orange case with a booklet of true bear attack stories. All yours for $1,200. For the man who has everything I guess. :rolleyes:

I would love to buy a Ruger Alaskan, but that is on the bit of the expensive side. I am getting quotes of almost $800. On the other hand, I can buy a 5" Raging Bull for about $650. I know the Raging Bull is not the greatest handgun, but it atleast has the barrel designed to relieve some of the recoil and it may be a pleasant gun to shoot.

As your just carrying it as a back up I say keep the 357, and stoke it with the Buffaloe Bore heavy loads,,,,, Now if your going to take up huinting bears with the hand cannons then opt for the 44mag and up,cats are thin skined and lite boned the 357 will work fine

No need to carry a horse pistol unlees the need or want is there

I see your point. I like the idea of the .454 simply because it's a little more versatile and capable than the .357 when it comes to big game/dangerous game. I can load it light or heavy, depending on what I am out hunting for.

They are a bit on the pricey side, so it may not be until Nov that I am able to buy one.

Between home buying, rifle/scope buying and other hunting supplies shopping, money def gets tight. :mad: lol Oh well, guess I can't have EVERYTHING i want all at once.

I know the Raging Bull is not the greatest handgun

Someone's been lyin' to you, friend. I have one and it's a damn finely-fitted solid chunk of steel. IMO, the equal of the Ruger.

VaFreak, ok then, a .218 Bee raging bull it is (while on the subject of raging bulls)!

What to take w/ you...

Troponin - I say a nice 3" S&W "Mountain Magnum .44", and a "Slow, short-legged,
Hunting guide..!" "Shove & run" seems a more appealing tactic to me than a handgun fight
w/ a "Grizzly Bear the size of a Mid-Sized Car..!" (LOL..!) :)

In all seriousness though, if it doesn't have to be a Handgun, a good 18" Remington 870
(w/ Mag. extension) w/ alternates of "0000-Buck & Slugs" is what's carried by many in
Kodiak, AK. :)

I backpack into remote areas of the Bighorn Mts. each August for superb fishing.
This is black bear and mt. lion country and a long, long way to the nearest medical help. In other words, I'm on my own.

I always carry a lightweight 16 gauge shotgun. It's just a plain break open single shot that weighs about 5 lbs. But a stock shell holder carries 5 rounds of ammo. An assortment of #1 buckshot, slug, and high base #6 is carried. This is my self defense gun and it is light and deadly. I carry a K-Bar bowie knife on my hip that was issued to me a few decades ago.

Someone will point out that my shotgun is only a break open single shot. But these mts were explored by trappers back when un-friendly Indians and fearless grizzlies were common. Yet these men carried muzzle-loaders with confidence. My single barrel shotgun loads much faster than those old muzzle-loaders!
Jack

In addition to my firearm I believe I would carry a fire extinguisher sized can of bear spray. When danger presents itself I can spray my short legged guide friend. While he's hollering and flayling around on the ground the bear wont notice me sneeking away.;)

Back