what the best milsurp rifle

my personal favorite is my no1 mkIII Lee Enfield quick bolt holds 10 rounds accuracy is great .303 round not punishing at all reasonable power. The mkvII round is a killer did you know the brits put wood pulp in the nose of the bullet so it would tumble on impact messy lol.

I like the m1 as well had one for awhile but the problem is finding one now adays that has a good barrel on it every on I see and look at the barrel is shoot out. Not to mention the rest of it usually looks truly awfull yet they still want 800 dollars for the dang thing

I've had many Russian mosin nagant's 91/30 m38 m44 but would love to shoot a finn m28 m27 or m39 m28/30 I've heard they are excellent Simo Heyha the deadliest sniper ever known used an m28 with iron sights and killed many a Russian from 400 yards or more.the finns were so obssesed with accuracy that if there rifles didn't shoot under 2inches at 100 yards they were sent back to the armory because they were broken.

Last edited:
If we're talkin' bolt guns.....

.....it' a toss-up between the 1903 Springfield and the 1903A3 version. But, I've heard that there's something called a 1909 Argentine Mauser that shouldn't be overlooked either.

Whichever one you can still get surplus ammunition for.

There are a lot of Swedish Mausers in the back of the rack because the ammo has mostly been shot up. Looks like the Swiss and Mausers are headed that way fast.

I like the m1 as well had one for awhile but the problem is finding one now adays that has a good barrel on it every on I see and look at the barrel is shoot out. Not to mention the rest of it usually looks truly awfull yet they still want 800 dollars for the dang thing

You can get a Field Grade from CMP for $500, or a Service grade for $600
http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

Jim Watson. Very good point.

The lower-cost surplus .303 ammo for LEs is getting scarce and this might help explain why so many rifles are available at gun shows.
This is why I'm learning to reload-just for the single caliber.

At two modest (?) gun shows, Batesville, MS in July and Memphis in September, there were a total of three original #3s and an original #4 "Jungle Carbine". A guy also had a WW1 vintage.
This was only on each Saturday, by about 1:00 PM. After buying a #4 in MS and the #5 in TN, I left and did not see what might have later appeared.

With unemployment hitting new records, a lot of surplus rifles have been put on sale. Time to grab the ones u like but make sure u have ammo for it.

There are a lot of Swedish Mausers in the back of the rack because the ammo has mostly been shot up. Looks like the Swiss and Mausers are headed that way fast.

That's just another reason to get off your butt and start reloading!:rolleyes:

Excluding the M1, It's a toss up between the German K98 and the Swiss K31. If ammo is a factor then I would include the Mosin 91/30.

You got ALOT of criteria to go with.
For quality of build: anything german or swiss
For accuracy: just about any of them as long as the barrel and crown is good and ammo is quality
For durability: just about any of them, they've survived decades of storage and trading hands after wars.
For historical significance: it depends on what you dig historically. If you like American History: M1, 1903, Carbine. If you like Russian history: M44, M38, M1891. The list goes on.
For ease of maintenance: Mosins. Such simple designs.
For sheer awesomeness: K31
For awkwardness: Arisakas.

It's not a simple "best"

Back