What substitute powders do you like and not like?

I use a LOT of Black MZ shooting Cowboy Action. Only $9.99/pound at Sportsman's Warehouse, and with one of their $10 off a $50 purchase, or $30 off a $150 purchase (20% off), it's only $7.99... if you can make it an even $50 or $150 purchase.

For years I 've used T7 in the percussion Browning Mountain muzzleloader while opting for Goex FFF in the flintlock. FFF in my flintlock runs fine under the ball as well as in the pan.

.02. David. :)

I've used everything starting with Pyrodex, Black Canyon then going to Black Mag 3, then Clean Shot, then Clear Shot, then APP, Pinnacle, T7, and Black MZ. I'll use anything cheap in the shotgun like garage sale Pyrodex or APP but usually Black MZ due to it's low price. In cartridges: FFg Goex in 45-70, T7 in .357 mag (SASS shoots), Black MZ in 38SPL (SASS shoots). In the C&Bs (SASS shoots) Goex FFFg or Goex 5FA. in the 58cal rifled muskets/Hawkens FFg Goex. I always clean the day of shooting if at all possible. If not everything gets an oil coat.

Last edited:
This is true but who doesn't store their guns under AC?
LoL.. Yeah right?

Believe it or not, there was a large part of my life that I lived with just fans... Didnt shoot BP then but a good friend of mine did (The one person I have ever seen actually crack a brass frame).

Then one day I woke up and realized... WAIT damn minute! ACs are actually a THING! They actually EXIST in the world.... Why the HELL dont I have a frigging AC for crying out loud!?!????

LoL.. Been fighting global.. or at least living room... warming ever since!!! LoL

Back