What Style Hunting situation do you choose?

I like sneaking around the woods. It works decently. I don't like to sit and wait for too long.
I hunt only where it's free. Usually on AEP owned land. My dad has a lease on a place though too.

A Tangent inquiry....costs

As the original poster, I don't feel too bad about adding a related question to this discussion. What does it cost you for whatever licenses and permits you must have to hunt, and specifically to Deer Hunt where you coose to Hunt. I am not asking about private land fees or ammo/lodging etc. All I want to know is what does the State where you choose to hunt charge for the papers that make it legal, and what do you get for those fees?

Here in Indiana they "Bundle" the License and deer tags for a resident license fee of $64.00. That gives you one Buck and two Does. You can then purchase additional doe tags for $24.00 for the first extra Doe, and $15.00 for number 2-8 additional does. The number of extra tags is set by the deer census of the various counties in the state. The two that I will hunt has a surplus of does, so I can buy 8 additional doe tags for me and the same for the wife. That would give us the possible total of two Bucks and 20 does taken legally between the two of us. Total costs for the licenses would be $416, IF we BUY all the extra Doe Tags !! There is a two week gun period in late November and another gun week between Christmas and New Years. BUT with the bundle you can use the tags in Bow and muzzleloader periods too if you use the correct weapon for the season.

We have printed the agreement for hunting on other folks properties. I have verbal permission, but the State has a form that both parties sign that protects both of us in the event of a problem.

Lots of other costs to consider, but this is what it takes to hunt in southern Indiana. What about your State?

Asked to be more specific by this OP

MN. RESIDENT LICENSES:

Deer -Firearms (age 18 and over) - $26
Deer -Muzzleloader (age 18 or over) - $26
Deer -Bonus Permit - $14
Senior Citizen Small Game (age 65 or over) - $12.50**{(Includes a $6.50 surcharge. This $6.50 surcharge is being paid by hunters for the acquisition and development of wildlife lands.)

At $78.50 a year for 3 deer (could take up to 5 total I think >but don't) a reasonable number of partridge, grouse, and snow shoe rabbits. I don't duck, goose, turkey, or pheasant hunt anymore. Legs don't handle those big bird hunts well these days.
Those fee's I pay {above} to fill my freezer are pretty reasonable I think for some mighty good taste'en fair._;) All I have to do is find time to get up to our cabin. Being retired and as we retiree's are known to be so busy all the time. I think I can find that time when I need too._:)

Lets see Co resident

Draw elk $49.00 each tag A/B/C
OTC $46.00 each tag A/B/C

Antelope/Deer $34.00 each tag A/B/C

Elk/Deer/Antelope you can only have one A tag and one B tag and we have what's call a C tag some of those are what's call Plains tag which is east of I-25 mostly private land.

My elk tags are $95. deer $34 same for antelope so those 4 tag cost $173. Senior get free fishing license so small game plus extra rod stamp $27.00

The C tag also covers Game Damage, Special Population or Disease Management license,Replacement licenses for CWD,TIP's Reward program,Youth Outreach program,Auction/Raffle license,Ranching for Wildlife License reserved for youth or Hunters with Mobility Impairment., list goes on

ADD to my Indiana List... Anyone born before October 1943 (that includes me) does not need a fishing license or Trout or Salmon Stamps. You need a Drivers license to prove age and resident status. You can buy a "Voluntairy Fishing License" for $3.00 if you want one,,,or in case you're fishing in Lake Michigan and run across one of those Pirates from IL or Mich.

Michigan U.P. in national forest. Here's our 15' x 24' portable plywood cabin with attached outhouse/shower, carpeted floor, propane heat with hot water heater, appartment sized stove, and the kithen sink. It sleeps 8.

DC001.jpg

1114111353c.jpg

IM001300.jpg

1114111354b.jpg

massachusetts hunting fees

Resident Hunting- $27.50
That gets you two antlered deer tags.
Archery stamp add $5.10
Primitive Arms add $5.10
I think that the bear and turkey permits are $5.00 each.
You have to apply for a lottery to get a doe permit.
After the lottery, left over doe permits may purchased for $5.00, same cost as original lottery.
The reason for the lottery is that different zones in the state have different allotments of doe permits.

N E Redneck

I guess Indiana is overrun with Does. Most of the counties are allowing 5-8 Doe Permits to be added to the normal One Buck and Two Does that come with the combined hunting license fees. No Lottery involved.

Regular Hunting and Deer Hunting License are purchased together in Indiana. That gets you one Buck and Two Does total during the gun-bow-muzzleloader seasons for $64.00. Then, depending on the county you can buy additional Doe Tags, $24 for the first one and $15 each for up to a total of EIGHT, depending on the county where you hunt. No Lottery, just go to a license agency and buy'em up.

I deer hunt several ways, depending...

on land available, weather, time of day, etc.

One friend of mine has a 5,000 acre ranch near Abilene, TX, with many elevated enclosed box blinds placed 50 to 100 yards away from corn filled feeders. He insists that all of his guests stay in the blind - no roaming around. We always see deer, so it's just a matter of deciding which one you want. Stick your rifle out the window, use the window bottom frame as a rest, put the crosshairs on the vitals, squeeze off the shot.

Bang/flop.

Wait for the pickup truck to come by (about 9 am), load the carcass, drive into town to the processing plant.

Fills the freezer (limit 5, no more than 2 bucks). I get only one 2 day invite each season.

Then, there's East Texas piney woods public land. I usually hunt during the week, because I'm retired, and Tue/Wed/Thur hunts avoid the weekend crowds.

No feeders, no baiting, no permanent stands/blinds. Thick woods/understory.

I usually pack in a portable stand. Self climber for pine trees, ladder stand for oak/hardwood trees.

In the tree an hour before legal shooting time. Sit overlooking trails, feeding areas, scrapes, rubs. Grunt. Rattle. Doe bleat. If nothing shows by 9 am, I climb down, hide my stand (hoping a thief won't find it), and "sneak and peek" hunt until noon. Eat at my truck. Relocate to an undisturbed area (10,000 acres to choose from) then sneak and peak til about 3 pm, with the idea of finding game or finding a place for "the evening sit". Try to go immediately after a rain, because dry leaves underfoot makes it impossible to move quietly in the woods.

Seldom get a deer (bucks only, spike or inside spread more than 13 inches). Even so, I enjoy poking around in creek bottoms, and usually get a glimpse of a doe or two.

This year, I will be hunting a new venue - Fort Hood, TX. About the same type terrain as Abilene. I will try shotgun with rifled slug hunts because they are available 7 days a week - in areas where troop training is not going on. Rifle hunts on the fort are weekends, only, so the huge troop population will result in long waiting lists for hunt on weekends. I intend to do the retirees Tue/Wed/Thur schedule, again. I have a topo map of the fort, and I am excited at what it reveals. Several big ridges,with numerous drainages,1,000 yards long, with 100 foot elevation changes from the top of the ridge to the bottom of the drainages.

Of course there is a lot of regulations - various hoops to jump through - but I think it will be worth it. I will probably do either "sneaking and peeking" or sitting in a portable ground blind, or a combination of both. Should be interesting.

Last edited:
Dogjaw.... that is a great camp setup! Got any "openings"? :D

Here is my blind...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 49
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 47
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Dogs!!! Walker hounds for deer is what we use at our hunt club and it is a total blast! I have still hunted a large part of my deer hunting years and now I 100% deer hunt with hounds. Nothing is more exhilerating as having a 6-10 dog pack sight chasing a deer in the woods towards your direction. My heart literally beats out of my chest everytime. My biggest buck was taking when I was around 14 years old, still hunting in a tree stand, and I wasn't nearly as excited killing that as I am with the beautiful music from a pack of hounds on a deers' ass. I absolutely love it. Doe or buck, it doesn't matter to me since I love to eat em' anyways. Its just that there is nothing comparable to hearing those dogs since their sweet music.

Back