What state to move to for Sheep hunting?

Glamdring, what do you need to know about Idaho?? What kind of work do you do? Do you have a family ? (Schools, etc.) Hunting regs? Need some questions and maybe I can get you some answers.

J.B.

Jay B: At this point I don't have a family, I hope to by the time I move. I plan to be semi retired and job won't be dependant on location (that is the plan anyway). Looking to buy a hobby farm/small ranch and spend 20 to 30 hours per week hunting/trapping/beekeeping and subsistance agriculture.

I prefer a rural life. Basically I am sick of "cities" and don't want to start a family in one.

I plan to homeschool kids if & when so local schools are not a real concern. It would be nice if there was a junior college in the general area...I might teach a little. I have a BA in Anthropology and am considering getting a MA in Statistics or Military History.

I can usually find something I would like to do that community ed wants to offer (at least here in MN) for classes.

Hunting: I want to hunt various Mt Sheep/goats for the fun/challenge. Other than that I would be hunting for meat and not trophys.

I live here in Utah, we've got 2 types of sheep and RM goat.It is a once in a lifetime hunt and draw only.If you are planning on a hunt in 5-8 years you can put in now but not really draw,you can buy a preference point on your draw.If you do this when you are ready to draw you will already have several points aquired.You can do this for every species you want to hunt , at least thats how I understand it.So if you start now you could have enough points to get a good possibility to draw on the hunt you want. From what I understand every time you dont draw you also get a point. It takes about 3-5 years to draw on the type of permit you'll want.The places to hunt are not real remote either.My good buddy and his dad have both gotten goat permits in the last couple of years and 1 sheep and they filled all their tags. Hope this info helps.

Thanks REDMISTMD I was not aware of that aspect of the draw.

I haven't picked a state yet. But I am suspecting that I can't go to wrong with any of the ones I am considering.

I would like to hear more. Once I have a better idea of which 1 or 2 states to consider I may email some of you.

Thanks.

Alaska - you can hunt brown bear/grizzly and sheep with an over the counter tag in many places.
If you go down to Southeast Alaska, black bear are as common as racoons in Ohio.
Brown Bear - Kodiak/AK peninsula
Grizzly - Brooks Range
Dall Sheep - Brooks range
Deer hunting - Kodiak.
Caribou - Mulchatna
Moose - Western Brooks Range
Elk - Kodiak again
Goats - Southeast or Kodiak
Coyotes - Kenai
Wolves - anywhere

Did I forget anything?

The best hunting in Alaska is expensive though. There are no roads to speak of and you'll find that if you can drive there, you will find competition. Spend the money for a fly-in and you can get hunting that rivals anything on earth.
The best combination fly-in hunt is probably Southwest Alaska. Without a drawing, you can hunt Moose, Caribou, Grizzly, Black Bears, Wolves in the same area. Pretty hard to go wrong!
Alaska probably also has some of the best duck hunting in North America as well as ptarmigan, grouse, rabbits, etc.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Glamdring, given your post, you might look into the small towns around Moscow, Idaho. The Univ. of Idaho is there. And, there is still land around there that might suit your purpose. I know a professional writer who moved from So. Kalif., to Deary, Id.,about 20 miles from Moscow, who loves it. There is very good hunting and fishing in that area, as there is in most of Idaho. Weather isn't very harsh there, but a little snow probably wouldn't bother you too much, anyway.

There;s a college in Couer d'lene, but land around there is getting pretty expensive.

Best of luck. J.B.

What's a little snow? :)

Honestly what is the weather like there? I know MN weather. Snow, summer, snow, snow.

We had frost here in Southern MN friday morning.

If you live on the "road system" in Alaska its really no more expensive than living in the lower 48 any more.
Where I live in Kodiak, things are pretty expensive but then so are wages, etc. It all evens out somehow.
And the weather is NOT that bad. Anchorage/Kenai is probably something like southern Minnesota. Winter temps can be anywhere from -20 to +40.
Kodiak is real mild and usually at sea level its not even cold enough to snow. I've been here eleven years and the coldest I've ever seen it was -8 during a cold snap a couple years back.
You don't get the real arctic weather until you cross the mountains into the interior and get away from the ocean. Its not unusual for there to be an 80 degree temperature difference between my home in Kodiak and Fairbanks during the winter.

Its a beautiful place, really.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Glamdring, the snows in that area of west central Idaho generally don't exceed more than two to three feet per season, give or take. It'll snow some, melt off, snow some more, melt, etc. That area is known as "the banana belt" of Idaho.

Here's a site for the Idaho Game and Fish dept., and you can get a lot of hunting info from the site. www.state.id.us/fishgame

Best of luck. J.B.

[This message has been edited by Jay Baker (edited May 23, 2000).]

I live in Wyoming. For Sheep, Goats and moose we have gone to a preference point system. For each year you apply and don't draw a tag, you receive one "preference point" for the next year. I currently have the maximum number of points. What this means is if you are new to the system you will need to wait until those folks with more points either quit applying or draw. For kids in the state, they will probably have only one permit during their lifetimes. For newcomers, hell will freeze over before you draw a tag.

If you really want to kill sheep, go to Alaska or the NWT as a non-resident.

>Its a beautiful place, really.

Thats putting it mildly Keith!

> not unusual for there to be an 80 degree temperature difference

One winter on a Junk for Punks trip we went to a village in the interior... raw temp was -52 degrees (though it did warm up to -40 the next day). That weekend we had to go down to Texas for a Bn Conference. Stepped off the plane into 90+ degree weather. I felt like the... "I'm melting... I'm Mellllllttttinnnng" :D

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited May 24, 2000).]

Back