Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Center Axis Relock

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • whatever stance I find comfortable at the moment

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • one handed

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Total voters
I too wear a tux often and use that stance while picking up chicks...

I usually am firing from the floor after I tripped and fell using one of them stances..... Now I concentrate on drawing, getting on target and shooting as fast as possible, ends up knees slightly bent weight forward gun up and shooting before off hand can get to it first shot.

I find getting it out fgetting on target and the first shot off to be important so it is what Ifocus on.

Dalton vs Moore...

Based on various Bond movies, plus "Flash Gordon," it's pretty obvious that Dalton received a fair amount of training in theatrical martial arts, at least. Not sure if he has any more serious training background, but the man knows how to move convincingly.

So I guess it's not a surprise his poses look more poised than Moore's.

Although I don't have direct experience, I strongly suspect that the same is the case for pistol shooters.

You'd be wrong :).

There's a Weaver variant that only a cross-dominant can pull off - and while shooting strong-side hand.

We can straighten our strongside arm, rest our strongside cheek against strongside bicep and line our strong "cross" eye up with the sights.

This is the most stable handgun position possible while standing on your feet!

It's no good for close combat as your peripheral vision is compromised. So for that, we can lean the gun about 15deg left and do a "double bent arm" Weaver with the sights aligned with the offside strong eye.

We can shift back and forth between the "cheek weld Weaver" and a more normal Weaver/Chapman variant at will, and very quickly.

What youre describing there Jim is the old Paris Theodore "Quell" system.

With a little practice, it works well, even if youre not cross dominant. Once you get it down, it is fast and accurate. It was meant to deliver a fast, precise shot to a specific point in the facial area.

I'll see your James Bond and raise you ... :D

rule4.jpg

We can straighten our strongside arm, rest our strongside cheek against strongside bicep and line our strong "cross" eye up with the sights.
Pretty much my favorite, though I practice others as well.

Found it naturally, by default, many years ago.

Want to talk about STANCE on that big bore handgun

If hitting the target is really important to you:
Im shooting a large frame S&W target model in .44 mag.
This may be the first place you will see this because Ive never seen it before.
I also shoot a .45 SAA 4.5 Sheriff's model and the difference in the weight is substantial.
Figured there must be a way to support the .44 mag so it could do what it was designed to do.
Bear with me now.
As a right hand shooter, take your pistol hand and place it on a horizontally held left upper arm. Bring your left hand up and grab your right upper arm. Your gun hand (NOT YOUR PISTOL)should be resting on your left upper arm.
It took me about three months of working through all types of non conventional holding stances to finally determine this was just totally the best by far of any commonly taught stances!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now, the first time out, it was a bit chilly and I had on a cotton shirt with flannel lining. After a couple of shots, and hey, I was mighty proud of myself with the new found accuracy, I noticed that my shirt WAS ON FIRE...lol.
But I was undaunted because of the bulls eye holes in the target at 50 yards.
I bought an arm guard, its leather and has elastic top and bottom, like a tube that slips onto your arm. I think it is a welder's thing.
Try this stance, ONLY WITH LONG BARREL HANDGUNS or you may shoot a hole in your arm.
disclaimer: anyone stupid enough to try this with a short barrel or without dry firing numerous times to (1) lock in the necessary safety aspects and (2) practice safe firearm practices who becomes injured using this stance is on your own. I am not liable for any resulting injuries.
Its like Robert D. Raford says, "You cant pass enough laws to protect the stupid people and its God's way of weeding them out anyhow."

This may be the first place you will see this because Ive never seen it before.
Hard to find something new. I set an army field jacket on fire in 1973 shooting a friends brand new 44 magnum like that. He had bought it and a Marlin 44 mag for bear hunting. I found I did better one handed and it was easier on my clothes. Today I don't think I could hold it up in the air one handed. I learned to bring the hand of the support arm higher up on the bicep of my shooting arm if I'm wearing col weather clothes or rest it on my shoulder if in light shirt or T shirt. That got the front of the cylinder forward of my elbow. Awkward but it works.

Back