Votes: 1 1.1%
  • whatever stance I find comfortable at the moment

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • one handed

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Total voters

9-ball

Hello,

As there were some firing stance related posts the past days, that got me thinking about which stances are the most used. Could you fill in the shooting stance you use the most? I hope this hasn't been polled before, couldn't find anything with the search...

It's been brought up fairly often in the past, but not so much lately.

My own personal preference is the Modified Weaver or "chapman". Throwing in the mix is I'm ambidextrous shooting right handed yet left eye dominant. Overall, I like using it half the time and practice the rest the other half. I'd sure hate to be used to only one style only to be shot and not be able to readily adapt.

Target shooting, or practicing for self defense?

The choices you list seem to be only for target competition.

I'm also cross dominant. Do you cant your head too and let your cheek rest on your arm to get your left eye in front of your sights?

Bingo!
Funny thing is, when I switch to using my left hand, I shoot better for a while. Mainly due to the fact I'm not trying too hard and my brain is in a sense relearning the process out of habit.

Usually, in a modified martial arts stance. I honestly never fell in with a lot of the stances. Weaver is fine, as it's similar to what I use but it's really all me. If I had the chance to practice more, I may try other stances more often but unfortunately I can't.

Since most of my shooting is done in Bullseye matches, I answered "one handed". It also makes all the two-handed shooting seem really easy.

My stance depends on my position in the reactionary curve. If I'm ahead I can stand a deliver aimed fire. For this I use a stance similar to the weaver but more comfortable for me. If I'm even or behind in the reactionary curve I'm gonna be shooting while on the move so stance is out of the question.

Reactionary curve is simply were the firearm of the bad guy is compared to my firearm. If I'm ahead it means my gun is up and out and the bad guys is holstered or reaching. Even in the curve is as it suggests the bad guy and I are both raising guns. Behind is also self explanatory.

Modified Weaver all the time. You can't shoot a hunting pistol standing flat footed and squared off--unless you want to sit down rather quickly. I can't stand to see instructors insisting on one type of stance to fit today's "pop" influences. Revover shooting is completely forgotten.

-7-

a7mmNut, do you include 10mm long slides and .44 magnum revolvers in the "hunting pistols" category?

If so, you can certainly shoot them from isosceles position. But you should do so from a partial crouch. Bent knees allow body weight forward posture. Deeper the knee bend, the more weight can lean forward to soak up recoil.

Flat-footed with knees locked isn't my preferred way to stand, let alone fight or shoot.

When I hear "stance," I think "foot position"...which I think is pretty irrelevant. I typically shoot from a Modern-Iso position as far as my upper-body is concerned. My feet are wherever they happen to be at the time. As long as you're in a "stance" that allows for movement and management of recoil/impact without interfering the other aspects of your shooting, I don't see why it really matters.

And, FWIW, I use the same position for everything from a .22 to a S&W .460 without ever having been knocked on my butt...

Shane Tuttle and other cross dominants:

Good rifle instructors know that a left eye dominant shooter shoots better left handed than right handed despite being right handed and how he/she feels uncomfortable initially. I have seen many times where shooting has significantly improved by doing this.

Although I don't have direct experience, I strongly suspect that the same is the case for pistol shooters.

JimPage,

I agree with you on rifle shooting, I do shoot left-handed. But with a handgun you can use your left eye while still using your most stable hand, seems like a better deal to me. I have frequently shot left handed and my results are far worse then right handed with left eye.

Shooting a rifle right handed (with right eye ofc) at short distances doesn't affect to much, but with a scope the non-dominant eye can produce some parallax, so I generally shoot left-handed.

I switch between one hand and a bastard weaver.

Shooting one hand is more physically comfortable. It's the way I learned to shoot.
I say bastard Weaver because it's mostly self taught with some pointers from other shooters.

JimPage said:
Shane Tuttle and other cross dominants:

Good rifle instructors know that a left eye dominant shooter shoots better left handed than right handed despite being right handed and how he/she feels uncomfortable initially. I have seen many times where shooting has significantly improved by doing this.

Although I don't have direct experience, I strongly suspect that the same is the case for pistol shooters.

As it may be the case normally, I'm always shooting with different stances to be proficient. I don't expect to be in the stance of my choice if the unthinkable happens. To clarify my point I'll tell you what my instructors have always said. And this isn't intended to be sexist:

Instructors I've come across almost always prefer to teach females or novices. Men in general already think they know it yet have bad habits ingrained. It takes time to hit the reset button and "relearn" a new technique. The left side of my brain shooting right-handed can fall into this habit to a certain degree. I already know what to do. Yet when trying to further fine tune my shooting, I kinda feel that side is resisting small changes.

Switching to shooting left handed, it's all "new" to my right side. Following the fundamentals of marksmanship, it's easy to train and perform well in the beginning. The "beginning" is a key term here...

I use a classic, tried and true stance,,,

If it was good enough for James Bond,,,
attachment.php
attachment.php

It's good enough for me,,,

The difficult part was learning to hold my left arm at the perfect rakish angle,,,
After that all I needed was a Walther style pistol,,,
Bersa Thunder 380 filled that need.

The Dalton Variant is much more elegant than the Moore Variant,,,
Don't you agree?

Aarond

Attachments

• JB-for-your-eyes-only-1981.jpg
    JB-for-your-eyes-only-1981.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 298
  • JB-the-living-daylights.jpg
    JB-the-living-daylights.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 292