What skills are most essential?

Skills

The ability to swallow your pride, apologize and get the hell out of there as gracefully as possibly unless you like being in police departments, court and emergency rooms.

Remember, WHATEVER you say immediately prior to a shooting will be repeated to a jury by some witness. Keep it polite. Lots of sirs and pleases.

If all else fails two rounds is the MINIMUM response..

1) Safety is learned...practice safely handling your gun over and over and over till it is second nature. I.E. finger out of the trigger gaurd, being mindful of the direction it is pointing, etc.

2) learn when to shoot (legally)

3) learn to shoot, and then learn to shoot under a variety of circumstances, because BG's usually don't hold still at 25 yards with a handy backstop behind them. Even basic skills puts you at a distinct advantage over the average gun wielding punk, but why stop there?

4) Learn how to be aware.....of where you are, of other people, of surroundings, and practice daily....you don't need a gun to do mental exercises, to judge distances, cover, backgrounds, etc.

To the topic of handgun skills...

My brother in law changed my attitude toward handgun training. He's in the FBI. First time we went shooting together, I was prepared to impress him with how small my groups could get at 15 yards.

Instead, he impressed me mightily with his ability to draw from concealment and get multiple hits on the target FAST. That's what he trains for. Sorta a modern-day quick-draw skill. His point is, if you need to use your handgun, the ability to get multiple hits on the target FAST is probably what will save your life.

So now I do a lot more draw-present-fire drills and spend less time on small groups at long range. BTW, I do most of my draw-present-fire drills in the garage with Speer's plastic training bullets. But range time with real recoil is important, too.

Basic Marksmanship skills practiced over and over and over.

also try to be the adult in a bad situation.......and de-escalation skills.

ftw

Back