What should I look into for a new compact or sub compact carry?

You carry the G2 in your front pocket? That's a trick. I agree with others, try a different position. I also must differ with you that it's ok if someone gains a glimpse of you carrying. No, it's not ok. If you're going to carry concealed, do it well.

With regards to you not being comfortable with the trigger safety, practice more. When you have time to yourself, unload and clear the weapon, practice your draw, aim and "fire." Then, take it to the range.

I own both the G2 and the relatively new slim line 709. Both are carry but I spend more time with the 709 on my hip and the G2 in the nightstand. The smaller pocket pistols are not something that I enjoy but you have to test it out for yourself. I've got a friend who has a Ruger, shot it one day at the range and was happy to return it to him. Again, personal preference.

After re-reading your posts, I'm of the mindset that you not buy anything right now. Perhaps update your holster as a few have suggested and practice. See how you feel after gaining a smoother draw and fire motion. Then decide whether or not you really "need" a new carry. Now, "wanting" a new carry, well, that's a different thread.

Good luck to you.

After re-reading your posts, I'm of the mindset that you not buy anything right now. Perhaps update your holster as a few have suggested and practice. See how you feel after gaining a smoother draw and fire motion. Then decide whether or not you really "need" a new carry. Now, "wanting" a new carry, well, that's a different thread.

I think this is good advice, and you should buy me a new gun while you take your own time doing more research! :D

Holsters and carry positions make a world of difference on what you can conceal. I'm 5'10" and of average build, and I can conceal a CZ P-07 (G19 size) pretty easily even under a fairly light untucked shirt. That's a good deal larger than a G2. How, you may ask? Even if you don't ask, it's in a dedicated AWIB holster that has two design features to aid in concealment. First is a "claw" attachment that's become very popular these days, so that your belt rotates the grip into your body. That's huge. The second is a small foam wedge under the muzzle, that tilts it away from your body, which is more comfortable and also rotates the gun into your body and keeps it from flopping over the belt.

Under a standard "guy's checkered button-down shirt" it's invisible. Under a T-shirt it's not revealing its shape although someone might notice a lump down low, but then why are they looking there anyway?

When I use the same brand and style of holster on my Walther PPS, it's just simply invisible. That's JM Custom Kydex. Expensive and takes 8 weeks to arrive, but worth it.

Not everyone carries AIWB, I get that, but there are dedicated hip holsters with similar features, like Clinger's "No Print Wonder." Goofy name, great design. Again it pulls the grip toward your body. I just don't like holsters with two belt clips.

Why not try this? Order a Light Tuck holster from Vedder for your G2, with the claw attached. I also have one of those. You'll have it in a week and have 2 weeks to try it out. The claw works well and will tuck the grip into your body in any position. I find it works equally well for AIWB as for 4 o'clock.

You may find the gun you already have suddenly disappears under a t-shirt and your concealment problems are over.

First off, I didn't read every post. My CCW is either a Sig P238 or a Glock 43. The 238 conceals well in a sticky holster in my cargo shorts and the Glock 43 does well in my Levis. The glock prints in my cargo shorts so that is why I have the 238.

The Sig has a safety and a hammer. Most of the time, the safety is on and the hammer is down which, if you're in a situation, can mess you up. I practice a lot with it. The Glock is a simple draw and pull the trigger which makes it far less difficult but also reduces your think time which may save your life but could also get you into trouble. I practice with it a lot too.

I chose a Shield 9mm but from your criteria I think you need to have a look at the Kahr PM9 or CM9.
If you are going to look at the Kahr, you might as well look at the SIG P365; same size, higher capacity.

Otherwise, as others have stated, a small revolver, with it's round shape, blends in well with a human's round shape

Tailgator - thanks for the recommendation on the Sig - Sig is where I was thinking of going when I do upgrade to a better EDC that is in the same size range as the Taurus. How big is a 238 - like smaller than my Taurus or the same size?..

Dunno, as I don't have firsthand experience with the G2. The websites for the respective manufacturers tell me that the P238 is considerably smaller. It pockets well for me.

Note that you are comparing a .380 in the P238 to a 9 mm in the G2. The 9mm Sig that is similar to the P238 is the P938. Still smaller than the G2,but bigger than the P238. Nice pistols, but you have to be comfortable with carrying cocked and locked.

Thanks again guys!

Tailgator - going to pop in the Sig store and see what I think about the 238. If I'm going to spend, Sig is my preferred option being in NH and there are a couple things I really like about that option - ie looks like you can keep it chambered and cocked with the safety on like a 1911, or chambered but not cocked with or without the safety, correct? Is there a de-cocker on it or is it only done via careful trigger & hammer manipulation?

Again though - this is not a replacement for a larger carry, I just want a smaller option available.

Let me start by saying that I do not live in a shall issue state. I cannot carry in my home state. I carry around my apartment for home defense, and I carry when in a state that will accept my non-resident UT CCW (I'm in WV, DE or VA several times a month). That is to say, my personal epiphanies about what works for me have come a lot slower than they probably have for those of you who can FT carry.

One of my recent realizations is how important carry comfort is, but that it doesn't mean what most of us think it does. I used to think the smaller the better for comfort and ease of carry. A few years ago, I realized that with just a little work (think about what you wear- color, fabric textures, fabric weight, etc) even a relatively large gun can be fairly easily concealed with a tuckable IWB holster. I also realized that with a good gun belt, weight doesn't matter all that much. I have carried 1911s of all sizes, a compact CZ 75 sized gun (P01), my SIG P250 Compact (about the size of a Commander sized 1911 but double stack) and all disappear well. However, I am a big guy (fat guy), and with most of my carry guns I notice it can be very uncomfortable to carry the way I like to (IWB- tucked) but I just accepted that as the cost of carry (even with my subcompact SIG P290, the sandpaper like grip texture hurts the "love handles" after a while). Well, recently I finally started carrying my CZ P01 with the softer curves than the 1911 and the rubber grips and it was quite comfortable (no pain or discomfort on my skin when my undershirt rides up). I noticed something similar a couple years ago when I carried my S&W M&P40c (I still occasionally carry that when I want something smaller). All that to say, I don't think you necessarily need to go smaller.

Experiment with carry methods- try different places, tuckable IWB (or AIWB if you arne't fat like me), try different holsters. You may find your gun conceals well in 90+% of your clothing choices. Of course, comfort (as I described above) may mean you still want to shop another gun.

A lot has already been said about how smaller guns shoot. I prefer going as large as I can for quicker follow up shots, more comfortable (and thus more extensive) practice, more recoil control, full hand grip, etc. That said, there are some small guns that have a reputation for shooting like larger guns if you truly want a new gun.

My SIG P290 shoots like something larger. The P365 has a similar reputation. As per my definition of comfort above, if I was looking for a subcompact single stack again, I'd probably get a S&W Shield. They have the reputation for controlability and comfort to shoot of a larger gun, and the gentler grip texture of the M&P line. In fact, for the rare occasions that I want to carry a small gun, I may be replacing my P290 (which I love other than the texture) with a Shield.

Well, I'm using a Keltec PF9. They have a reputation of being hit or miss. Mine is a hit. Very light, very thin. Easy to conceal. Not really pleasant to shoot, but that's not the point. Poor man's Kahr.

When in the woods i usually carry a 1911 OWB.
Anywhere else i carry a Walther PPS. The 1st gen with the Euopean mag release.

When my daughter was looking, after trying many out for fit, then renting/shooting, she settled on a Walther PPS M2. With the "American" button mag release.

I did NOT suggest any one pistol over the other. Told her what she carries has to be to HER liking.

My SIG P290 shoots like something larger. The P365 has a similar reputation. As per my definition of comfort above, if I was looking for a subcompact single stack again, I'd probably get a S&W Shield. They have the reputation for controlability and comfort to shoot of a larger gun, and the gentler grip texture of the M&P line. In fact, for the rare occasions that I want to carry a small gun, I may be replacing my P290 (which I love other than the texture) with a Shield.

About the texture issue on a P290. I have and love my P290RS 380 but the texture really is aggressive with the standard flat inserts. The enhanced inserts though are smooth, add just a hair palm swell and very comfortable. Lots cheaper then buying a new gun.

standard.jpg

jar, where have you seen new inserts for sale? I know when the gun came out it was one of the selling points, but I've never really seen them. Short of more comfortable inserts, I could do a Hogue Handall as well I guess. Other than the grip texture, I do like that little gun

Edit:
I found some G10 P290 grips on Ebay and just ordered them. They are basically yours but with red instead of blue.

Last edited:
I have two Pico's that are outstanding at reliability and so easy to shoot. Love the Kahr, and just received the very light weight Kel-tec 32 for really Hot, Humid Days here in the South. At 6.6 oz's it does not get any lighter.

Spent a long time trying out Micro 9'mms. For me the search ended when I shot the Beretta Nano. Just like a few others have said. "It feels like you are shooting 380 ammo out of it. Extremely mild and reliable.

I also have the LCR9mm, but have started carrying the lighter Smith 642. Train with the LCR9 and the LCR22.cal.

Last edited:
Im only 5"7 and in vegas summer i carry my cz phamtom (full size) or cz p07 duty both are 9mm. The p07 is smaller but still have 16 +1 and both are carried half cocked. (I dont like regular safety but thats a personal preference)
I carry OWB using mostly leather holster from highmoon holster. They are expensive but IMO well worth the price.

Maybr you could just try a different holster for the gun you already have

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

jar, where have you seen new inserts for sale? I know when the gun came out it was one of the selling points, but I've never really seen them. Short of more comfortable inserts, I could do a Hogue Handall as well I guess. Other than the grip texture, I do like that little gun

Edit:
I found some G10 P290 grips on Ebay and just ordered them. They are basically yours but with red instead of blue.
CDNN also had some the last time I looked. Remember the standard pin is also slightly shorter than the new grips are wide so make sure you watch and balance insertion so it's even on both sides.

Tailgator - going to pop in the Sig store and see what I think about the 238. If I'm going to spend, Sig is my preferred option being in NH and there are a couple things I really like about that option - ie looks like you can keep it chambered and cocked with the safety on like a 1911, or chambered but not cocked with or without the safety, correct? Is there a de-cocker on it or is it only done via careful trigger & hammer manipulation?

It can and should be carried cocked and locked. You can carry it chambered and uncocked, but the safety cannot be on in that condition. There is no double action option, so you would have to cock the hammer manually in that situation, not what I would recommend.

It does not have a decocker, but the slide can be manipulated with the safety on. So the safest procedure for decocking would be to engage the safety, drop the mag, rack the slide to clear the chamber, check the chamber, then to pull the trigger and ease the hammer down.

The P238 is sometimes referred to as a miniature 1911. That is true in the sense that it has a single action only trigger and a thumb safety. The description starts to fail after that, though. The little Sig does not have a grip safety, though, nor a barrel bushing. The above-mentioned ability to manipulate the slide with the safety on is another difference.

Sounds like you just need a new holster.

It blows my mind folks spend hundreds on a handgun, and wont spend more than 19.99 on a holster.

Get a high quality IWB holster, and you can carry full size 1911 comfortably. Gonna cost closer to 100 than 19.99, but worth every penny.

Cross breed, whitehat, etc. They look huge, but are very comfortable. And the gun will not move.

I have a whitehat, and never have to touch my EDC. In and out of cars, stand up, sit down. Doesn't matter.
Gun does not move.

The 238 is a fine weapon. I have one and really like it. I can also shoot it as well as a larger gun.

My preference for carry, though, would be my Ruger LC9 or Glock 43. Although different guns, either one works for me.

It can and should be carried cocked and locked. You can carry it chambered and uncocked, but the safety cannot be on in that condition. There is no double action option, so you would have to cock the hammer manually in that situation, not what I would recommend.

It does not have a decocker, but the slide can be manipulated with the safety on. So the safest procedure for decocking would be to engage the safety, drop the mag, rack the slide to clear the chamber, check the chamber, then to pull the trigger and ease the hammer down.

The P238 is sometimes referred to as a miniature 1911. That is true in the sense that it has a single action only trigger and a thumb safety. The description starts to fail after that, though. The little Sig does not have a grip safety, though, nor a barrel bushing. The above-mentioned ability to manipulate the slide with the safety on is another difference.
Thanks again guys!

Tailgator - I didn't want to say it for fear of chastising but w/ the 238 I was thinking I like the idea of being able to have it chambered but not cocked, without the safety on.

I've never been one to recommend extra steps to get a pistol ready, but if you don't want to carry it cocked and locked, you might be better off carrying it without a round chambered. It might be more reliable to rack the slide than to thumb the hammer. The advantages would be that it is less of a fine skill, and that it would avoid the step of lowering the hammer on a round, a procedure that usually goes right but can go wrong. But honestly, if you don't want to carry cocked and locked for some reason, it might be best to choose a pistol you are more comfortable carrying. I don't mean that as chastising - only honest advice.

Back