What should I choose and why?

30-30 is a fine "all around" rifle choice, esp. when stoked with 170 grain bullets. I would not recommend "longe range " hunting past 250 yds with it since the caliber loses velocity quickly past 200 yards.

Having said all that the 30-30 has killed more game in north america than any other cartridge, with the 30-06 following a close second. EITHER caliber would be enough for a black bear in the lower 48 with the right loads. However, when it comes to Grizzly bears and BIG Brownies a much bigger rifle makes sense.

The best all around rifle for the lower 48 is a 30-06, there is no game you can't kill with it from (55 grain accelorator) varmints to (220 grain round nose) moose.

If you are set on a 30-30 lever gun get a marlin (easier to scope) and stoke it with 170 grain bullets. Sight it in to shoot 2.5 inches high at 100 yards and you will have a dead zero at 200 yards. I recommend a variable scope with a 40mm objective for this rifle if you scope it, if NOT paint the front sight bright orange, it will help you work on "point shooting"

The "camp carbine" is a "plinker" designed for defense and varmint control.. not as a main hunting arm, it is DEFINITELY not enough gun for bear, and is questionable for whitetail deer.

Use enough gun for the job, and practice like crazy.

Dr.Rob

I am looking to get a similar rifle. I think a lever action is really a great all around gun, with practice.

I was thinking of going with the .44 Magnum because I don't think my Dillon Sqare Deal will reload 30-30.

What do I lose if I shoot .44 mag instead of 30-30? I don't plan on shooting anything in particular with the gun, except maybe coyotes and tin cans, but in a real pinch, maybe a small deer (likely never).

Ps- people on the Handguns forum insist that they have taken Bear with a .44 magnum pistol. Multiple people claiming to have taken multiple bear. I have never even SEEN a bear outside of the zoo, so who am I to question them?
I think that maybe sometimes people that have NOT hunted large game overestimate the power that is needed. Deer, for instance, are quite small animals around my parts, and people take them with a Glock 17 9mm with no problem. As long as a deep pentrating round is selected, I think that some of the "lighter" calibers are more capable than most people think (eg: taking a bear with a 30-30)

"My question is this. What can I use the Camp Carbine for? They look and handle very well at the store, so I'm pleased as far as quality is concerned."

If that tickles your fancy, get one. Part of the fun in shooting is to shoot what you like.

"With the .30-30 or .44, I plan on perhaps using this as a deer/bear/occaisional varmint rifle for close in work."

Either one should be sufficient, but there are better rifle/cartridge combos.

Sure, an 870 w/slugs should do the trick for close-in deer/bear but it's hardly a 200 yd shooter. Ditto any 30/30 or .44 just because the trajectory's fairly rainbow at the longer distances. Either one for varmits - may be fun but again, there's better choices.

Some of ya'll's answers make me rapidly blink my eyes. The gentleman's asking advise - not what you have. Nice to talk about how "my buddy, Frank" shot an elk at 1000 yds with a .223 but let's be realistic.
He's requesting pretty much an all-round rifle that'll kill (humanely, hopefully, is a requirement) deer or bear to 200 yds and will double-duty as a varmit shooter.

Any suitable bolt w/a 3X9 scope will do the trick very nicely. Figure 7-08 through 30-06
(and everything in between) covers all the bases (assuming adequate bullet placement). The heavier bullets will do any deer/bear ('cept the BIG bears & I don't think that's in the equation right now as the question was posed) & the lighter bullets will do varmits. All bullets (from super-expansive for varmits to premium big game) are readily available factory loaded. None are magnums & recoil is well within reason for all average shooters.

Especially if you're new to shooting rifles, try to get a buddy to take you out & try a couple different types. If you like the Camp Carbine, by all means buy the thing. Just be aware that the "lower powered" catridges will have some limitations based on your criteria. If you are really into just shooting & having a good time w/it - get whatever you find more pleasing to shoot (or to the eye, for that matter).

Other than that, get a Rem 7 in .308. That's what I shoot. ;)

Nufsaid about the 45-70 ,30-30,and.223 if you want a kill everything gun buy a 30-06 class cal. (.280 .270 30-06). If the recoil bothers you get a muzzel brake.If you must have a lever gun you can buy a Browning although it may strech your budget.

Back