What should I buy next....

Well i was at a gun show today and found a RIA 1911 I really liked and when I tested out the trigger the booth worker freaked out on me for dry firing their gun... I thought I was at a gun show... oops. So I chose not to buy it due to d bag sellers. I found a canik tp9sa at another booth and I absolutely loved the trigger but they were asking a little to much. I was really hoping to find another at a decent price. But I did find a ruger 22/45 for a price I couldn't pass up.

So I finally have the long over due .22 pistol in my collection.

I have a .38 special revolver so I was a little surprised by all the revolver comments. Any specific reason for another revolver?

Everyone needs a 22 pistol and the 22/45 is a good choice. After you shoot it a few hundred or thousand rounds, the 1911 but will hit you again and you will have to get one. It is very similar to hold and shoot to a single stack 1911, especially in 9mm.

I also have a 38 special revolver and I bought another revolver because I wanted a "cowboy" revolver to go with my "cowboy" lever action rifle. I got both in 22 (Heritage and Henry) so I could affordably play with the kind of guns I saw in westerns on TV when I was a kid.

If you shot a Blackhawk or Single Six you would no longer wonder why people recommend the so wholeheartedly.

Grats on the 22! I shoot my FiL's 22 Ruger semiautomatic very often and I love it.

.22 pistol so practicing fundamentals isn't so dame expensive. Or maybe a .357 Magnum like a 4" or 6" S&W 686. IMO a .357 Magnum is the most versatile handgun on the planet.

IMO a .357 Magnum is the most versatile handgun on the planet.

I pretty much have to agree, BUT unless your targets are over 200 lbs your pretty much wasting all that power just for paper, yes, you could use 38 spl's in it, but you already have a good 38.

What I don't see is a 45 Auto in that list. While everyone talks about the 1911, there are a ton of other autos that use that caliber that are not 1911's. That would be more practical maybe a DA/SA model that does not have to be carried cocked and locked. Or if you like the 1911 design, maybe one of the new 9 MM in the 1911 design, that would at least let you use the same ammo in two of your pistols.

Just my 2 cents.
Jim

Im sure my first .45 will be a 1911, I just haven't figured out which one quite yet! looking at RIA Springfield and Para. I like ruger a lot but the tolerances seem a little sloppy compared to the Springfield or Para. After I dive into the .45 world It will be hard to keep from buying a FNX 45 tactical at some point.

Im sure my first .45 will be a 1911, I just haven't figured out which one quite yet! looking at RIA Springfield and Para. I like ruger a lot but the tolerances seem a little sloppy compared to the Springfield or Para.

I felt that way but bought a RIA Tactical in 9mm instead, mostly because of the cost of ammo. I am glad I made that decision. It has been totally reliable and is the most accurate gun that I have.

Brando1992 said:
Well i was at a gun show today and found a RIA 1911 I really liked and when I tested out the trigger the booth worker freaked out on me for dry firing their gun... I thought I was at a gun show... oops. So I chose not to buy it due to d bag sellers. I found a canik tp9sa at another booth and I absolutely loved the trigger but they were asking a little to much. I was really hoping to find another at a decent price. But I did find a ruger 22/45 for a price I couldn't pass up.

So I finally have the long over due .22 pistol in my collection.

I have a .38 special revolver so I was a little surprised by all the revolver comments. Any specific reason for another revolver?

FYI - It's polite to ask for permission to dry fire a firearm before doing so.

That 22/45 should be nice shooter.

FYI - It's polite to ask for permission to dry fire a firearm before doing so.

Having gone to many many gun shows and this one specifically many times I have never had any issues with it. guess you gotta learn the hard way.

It did throw me off though, if he hadn't been so rude about it I was actually considering buying the gun... A gentle, please ask or something of the sort would have been equally effective, and not lost him the sale.

Whenever I dry fire a gun at the LGS or gun show, I always block the hammer from striking the firing pin with my thumb, I still get a good feel for the trigger, without the seller needing any preparation H.

A guy I met at a gun show, and see him frequently, always carries a small piece of surgical tubing, that way the dry fire does not leave a mark on the gun. He also uses it during dry fire practice on his own guns, helps to keep them looking new.

Back