What should I buy next....

Brando1992

Got the gun bug a few years ago and bought a hi point .40 s&w... sold it and have learned a lot since then haha, well me and my wife have an agreement and each week we give eachother a little money we can spend on whatever we want without the other being upset about it. Well I've saved up and its new gun time!

So here is what I have:
glock 19 (which i carry every day comfortably)
S&W pre model 10 5.5in .38 that was passed down to me
mossberg 500
ruger 10/22
mosin nagant
18in AR15

Ive been interested in a few guns, glock 34, canik tp9sa, ruger 22/45, browning buckmark, 1911.

Looking at what i already have what do you guys think would be a good next choice?

My biases is going to show up here. I'm a, life long, died in the wool Smith and Wesson revolver fan.
So take anything I say understand the above.
1- 4" Model 19
2- 2 1/2" Model 19
3- 4" model 66
4- 2 1/2" model 66
5- 3" model 65
6- 3" model 64
7- any 2" - 3" J frame.

Keep us posted.

If there's rimfire ammo available in your area, the 22-45 would be a good choice.
Can't imagine not having a .22 pistol.
Plenty of good practice and maybe, if your wife isn't already interested, that one might do the trick.
My better half was never much interested until I got one.
After that she went to the range with me nearly every time, including for the local rimfire steel matches.

I own and have owned many handguns. My Browning Buckmark and my 1911 are two of my very favorites. It is an easy bet that you would love them too.

My Ruger Single Six (single action 22 revolver) and CZ75 9mm service pistol are also very popular with just about anyone who shoots them.

You could consider a larger caliber revolver. If so, I would recommend S&W in either Model 686 (.357 Magnum) or a Mountain Gun in .45 Colt.

In pistols, I would also agree and think you should seek a good 1911. Then a collection is not complete without a Beretta 92 (recommend a 92FS in Inox). :)

Among other guns, I have the S&W copy of a Glock 19, the Taurus copy of a the S&W model 15, and a Marlin 60 which is similar to your 10/22.

I have a 22/45 Target that I really like. I also have a RIA 1911 full size Tactical in 9mm that is my new favorite gun. The 22/45 was just under $300 and the RIA was under $500. The 22/45 and 1911 shoot and feel very similar with the 22/45 6 ounces lighter and an inch longer. They are both very accurate and the only difference in shooting is the moderate recoil of the 1911. I got the 22/45 first and after a few months, it got me wanting a 1911.

I think everyone should have a good accurate 22 and that is what I would recommend first. It will make you set your sights on a 1911 in the future and it will give you a good gun to practice with affordably.

Go for a .45acp 1911. If budget is a concern, the Ruger SR1911 in either full size or commander is a very nice gun for the money. If you don't want a .45 the Dan Wesson 9mm 1911s are very, very nice (but a bit pricey).

Lots of other 1911s that are very good too, in all price ranges. Some darned good used ones available as well.

I would never tell someone not to buy a gun. I have several different options to choose from for defense or fun. Err I mean I HAD several options before the tragic boating accident where all my guns were lost. But sometimes options can be a hindrance. you'll get a new piece and forget about your other guns for awhile or you'll take 4 or 5 guns to the range and then spend a week cleaning all of them. Personally I've been allocating my gun slush funds for ammo and magazines and hopefully more training come spring. Not to get political but the uncertainty of our next elections are the impetus for my new outlook on mags and ammo. Not that I'm a hoarder but if there is a big run on ammo again I want to have some available so I don't have scrounge around like in the last shortage. And if something happens that limits out magazine capacity I want to have some available.
YMMV.

Last edited:
I believe that the Canik is the low end of your budget. Since I own a Canik Stingray, I'm biased so I'll say its the under-rated performer of the lot that will out perform the lot. Currently, the TP9 is the only weapon being imported and I don't know if and when the remaining models will make their way back into the states. I'll put my Stingray up against the others on the list and will keep their pace.

My friend and I often shoot together, he with a Glock 45 cal (sorry don't know the model) and me with my 9mm Stingray. He's been doing this longer than I and I can keep up with him, sometimes besting his placement. He loves my steel frame but I have a difficult time maintaining control of his 45. I'm sure it's my lack of experience with the weapon and could probably do better with more time. But for immediate results, a simple weapon to own, field strip and maintain with excellent quality, improving on some of the aspects of the CZ which it is modeled after, I'll take the Canik.

The board may disagree, and they can over-spend if they wish. But the Canik will not disappoint and you'll keep within a reasonable budget.

Have fun shopping. Be safe.

So here is what I have:
glock 19 (which i carry every day comfortably)
S&W pre model 10 5.5in .38 that was passed down to me
mossberg 500
ruger 10/22
mosin nagant
18in AR15

Ive been interested in a few guns, glock 34, canik tp9sa, ruger 22/45, browning buckmark, 1911.

Looking at what i already have what do you guys think would be a good next choice?

If it were me, looking at what you have and what you say you want, either a 1911, or a Ruger Mark II or III Target.

Well i was at a gun show today and found a RIA 1911 I really liked and when I tested out the trigger the booth worker freaked out on me for dry firing their gun... I thought I was at a gun show... oops. So I chose not to buy it due to d bag sellers. I found a canik tp9sa at another booth and I absolutely loved the trigger but they were asking a little to much. I was really hoping to find another at a decent price. But I did find a ruger 22/45 for a price I couldn't pass up.

So I finally have the long over due .22 pistol in my collection.

I have a .38 special revolver so I was a little surprised by all the revolver comments. Any specific reason for another revolver?

how about a single action 22lr/wmr? a ruger single six if you want to jump all in and have your grandchildren enjoy it. or, a heritage roughrider if you just want dip your toe into the water. the slower single action makes for a deliberative manual of arms, better aim, ammo conservation and thus is a great teaching/learning platform. unthreatening looking in leftist, antigun zones, it is a connection to another era of shooting, kind of how obiwan first described a light saber to luke ("an elegant weapon for a civilized age"). loaded with handgun specific defensive 22wmr ammo it can be a credible protection piece, especially for recoil sensitive or weak-handed persons.

Last edited:
Back