What Semi-Auto Shotgun?

1100s are great, Berettas are too but you spend some more. No experience with the S&W. If you like it and it fits, you will not go wrong with the 1100 or the A300.

Another vote for the Benelli Super Sport, if you’re going semi auto. Love the 1100 and 1187s I’ve shot. Very nice rifles. Biggest deterrent for me on those were their weight. Not noticeable, when you shoot a couple of boxes, but you rarely shoot 50 rounds when out blasting clays. More like 3 - 400 when I’m out with my crew having fun. The Remingtons are heavy. I’m no weakling, but I don’t weigh a ton either, so weight is a factor when hanging a barrel out in front of me over and over.

There’s a huge difference in how the Remington and Benelli shoot tough. To me, Remington is a bit softer and feels like it pushes back on you longer, whereas the Benelli is a really short pop to the shoulder. My right shoulder is a mess from previous injuries, but the Benelli doesn’t hurt it, so not like the “pop” is a concern. The two shoot way different though. I’ve shot a couple of Barrettes too. Nice rifles, but didn’t get a chance to cycle them as long as the other two, so can’t say how they compare as with the above. Was really thinking about getting my wife one though. She love the 20g she was firing...

semi autos

the breda semi autos are not mentioned i have 3 of them and have had no issues with them they are an excellent gun.

Nothing wrong with that. Over/unders are around 60% or better of what I see. Way easier to carry too. You just break them open and set them on your shoulder. Sometimes I wish I had gone that route, but my bad shoulder thanks me every time I put a softer shooting semi against it.

A Montefeltro with a 28" barrel. It's reliable and easy to clean and maintain due to it's proven inertia system. It has nice wood and blue finish. The Monty will hold it's value better than many auto's and can be purchased below $1000.

A Montefeltro with a 28" barrel. It's reliable and easy to clean and maintain due to it's proven inertia system. It has nice wood and blue finish. The Monty will hold it's value better than many auto's and can be purchased below $1000.

A year to the day that I started this thread and I just ordered a Benelli Montefeltro 26" 3" satin walnut in 12ga

If you can justify spending $1300 I like the Benelli M2. The Beretta A300 is IMO the best value for a semi-auto.

rule of thumb on brownings is, if it has the name lightning in it, its lighter than others. as a hunter, sounds like you got what is needed. bravo.

My money just went for a Fabarms L4S Hunter. The “bottom” of the L4s line, sporting a simple elegant black receiver, “only” 3 steel rated chokes (vs 5), no fancy box, 26” 12 gauge.

On my postal scale 6 3/4 pounds, a tiny bit heavier than my Ithaca model 37 but this modern gun has choke tubes, can take steel shot, 26” barrel (my Ithaca is 30”) and balances for me without thought. I think it’s the perfect do-all shotgun, 100% made in Italy, service through Briley.

Getting a gun with modern features, light weight was an important factor. The gas loading system is also reported to be supremely reliable over a range of shells.

I have a Beretta Xplor Unico which weighs in at 7# exactly and is equipped for up to 3.5" shells. The Kick-Off system makes shooting it very tolerable and it will eat my light reloads.
For a lot of use, I prefer my DT-11 which weighs almost 9#.

I picked up the Montefeltro. Very pretty and very light.

BTW, I bought it from Reed's Family Outdoors. They had the best price I could find and a 10% coupon code. I paid less for a new one than used were going for online.

Back