What Semi-Auto Shotgun?

MP-44

All-around use; rabbits, squirrels. doves and very, very informal clay pigeons. I want quality & walnut. I have a Benelli M4 so I am covered in the slug & buckshot department. I would like to keep the purchase under 1k

I have considered finding a used, local Remington 1100, used S&W 1000, and a new Beretta A300 Outlander. These choices were mainly due to looks, price and I stumbled across them.

Any reason t stay away from a used 1100 that looks well taken care of? A lot have fixed chokes.

Suggestions, opinions and info would be appreciated...TIA!

I still prefer the looks of polished bluing and the feel of a steel receiver, so I would go 1100 or an 11-87 premier if you want 3" capability.

As a young man, my dad invested in a new Browning Auto 5 in 16 gauge, and it was the only shotgun he ever owned, used for everything from geese down to clays. In 1979, my then new bride gifted me with a Browning Auto 5 Light Twelve for Christmas. It has been the only shotgun I have ever used, except for a SxS double for Cowboy shooting. Beautiful blue, excellent wood, never failed, and I always felt confident shooting it.

Agree, Browning Auto-5 over anything else. Or a Benelli Super Black Eagle, possibly as reliable as an Auto-5.

I had a Browning Auto 5 once, that was more than enough. Nothing wrong with them but not for me. I like the feel and pointability of an 1100 or 11-87. In truth I shoot a Wingmaster better than anything else I have ever owned, and that includes a whole bunch of shotguns.

Been shooting the Beretta AL 391 for a spell....

It is a pleasure to shoot, a challenge to clean, but worth it to me.

Waterfowl seasons over in VA? Only matters because that's the time to be looking at used shotguns in shops.
"...a used 1100..." Probably the easiest to find and to find 'stuff' for than any Italian shotgun.
Like FITASC says, it'll depend mostly on your budget. But also the relative availability of barrels and/or choke tubes. Any waterfowl in the mix? Choke tubes or not water birds need a different barrel length than upland critters.

I'd look for something that is not so much different as it is special, a Browning Double Auto. Still findable and still affordable, this 12 gauge, two-shot only, Belgium-made shotgun, designed by John Browning's son, Val, has a "short-recoil" action which allows it to have one of the shortest, if not the shortest, receiver of any semi-auto shotgun. The receivers were mostly made of alloy but the earliest ones could also be had in steel. The alloy versions came in several different colors and all Double Auto receivers were hand-engraved.

I've had many, many repeating shotguns over the years but none handle as well for me as the Double Auto.

The used 1100 is a hard idea to beat. 12 or 20 would do what you ask of it just fine. Clean them regularly and they will work.

Mossberg just released their 940 JM. Semi automatic replacement for the 930 line. It looks great! First model released has the 24" barrels and 9+1.

I am going to wait until they release an 18"-20" model before I jump though.

Joe

All-around use; rabbits, squirrels. doves and very, very informal clay pigeons. I want quality & walnut. I have a Benelli M4 so I am covered in the slug & buckshot department. I would like to keep the purchase under 1k

I have considered finding a used, local Remington 1100, used S&W 1000, and a new Beretta A300 Outlander. These choices were mainly due to looks, price and I stumbled across them.

Any reason t stay away from a used 1100 that looks well taken care of? A lot have fixed chokes.

Suggestions, opinions and info would be appreciated...TIA!
The V3 is awesome. Leave the S&W alone. I have one torn down in a box trying to find two parts I need to fix it.

i just picked up a browning maxus in a trade a few months back and so far im pretty impressed....i like how easily it breaks down and 2 weeks ago shot a round of sporting clays with nary a hiccup.

Also a fan of the benelli black eagle, you should be able to find either of these either on sale or used for $1k

Remington 1100 in very good used shape are not hard to find.
Cannot go wrong with one of those.

I bought a CZ720 this past spring.
Comes in a really nice (to me) plastic case, with socks for barrel and buttstock/action.
5 chokes with tool in plastic case.

I originally bought it for spring turkey, but just ended up taking it out for walks. :rolleyes:
I've been doing some squirrel, pheasant, rabbit hunting this fall/winter.
Love this gun!
Have been steadily filling the freezer.
Accurate, light weight, soft recoil, easy to clean.
$500.

I highly recommend them!!

Back