What self defense load should I use in my S&W Model 36?

lions, tigers & bears ( oh my)..the sp 101 is 5 whole ounces heavier than a smith 36?...i just didnt realize it was that extreme difference dont shoot me....+ p .38 ( or a sensible .357 load) vs. a mere 5 more ounces of weight to carry in a life or death situation...you be the judge.

Well, If you're going 5 oz heavier to the SP101, why not add another five and get into a medium frame revolver like a M10 or M19?
Jeez, for only five more than that how about a M686?
Or, for a few more, an N frame?
Or wait, how about a Super Redhawk?

Geo, consider that maybe the J-frame is all some can carry in certain situations.
Maybe they're already stepping up from a .22, .25, or .32?
A difference of a few ounces, or a half inch or so, can affect concealability/totability.

Obviously you like the SP101, I do too, but don't knock those of us that chose to carry a J-frame snub.

-Kframe

The 101 is a fine gun...just too much for a 5 shot snubbie...and a bit too much for ankle or pocket....I carry a 442 at 14.5 ounces so it is almost 10 ounces heavier....for 24 ounces I could carry a nice compact 9mm....

k-frame , i never said adding 5 ounces in 4 or 5 increments wouldnt make a difference, it certainly would. adding 5 ounces to 19 in all practicality would make very little difference for the added odds gained

Double WOW!!!

I have heard that question about what ammo to use in the little Chief Special 2"-------- for 30 years!!!
Many old firearms instructors want to pull their hair out over that question.
It is one question I can honestly say I have( dis)cussed with comp Police shooters all over America.
The FBI spent enough money on ammo test when they issued the little gun to have outfitted them with the next 'ANIMAL' up the food chain.
They all had the Chiefs Special-----
They had the 158 grn LSWC round.
They finally thought they were better off with a round that would have some penetrating capabilities since almost no bullet was going fast enough to expand.
I had a LE friend who cooked up his load for the little gun.
He obtained some soft swaged factory hollow base wadcutters.
I think they were Hornady--but they were very soft.
He used red dot powder.
He loaded the soft hollow base wadcutter upside down--big hollow base heading out the tube first.
We were near a commercial meat processing plant.
They had hogs, cattle, ect.
Some of the animals were killed but not processed for human consumption-----the dog food got them.
Anyway we shot one of the dead hogs with the home brew load.
The little 38 really came alive when he fired all five rounds into the deceased sow.
A great long commercial cutting knife and a few bloody minutes later we recovered the bullets. They penetrated deeper than I would have guessed.
All of them mushroomed to 50 caliber.
They looked like the pictures in firearms magazines of some of 'their' handgun ammo test.
In general that gun and ammo is the oldest topic of them all. It is even older than the revolver vs. semi-auto question.
My nerves won't allow me to argue or think too deeply anymore.
Just use what you want to.
More than 99% likely you will ever shoot a dangerous human anyway.
I know standard wadcutters are accurate in the little gun--outside of that I am out of here.
Don Mallard

Back