What Security Measures Do You Take at a Public Range?

I'm a member of a large range that has 6 separate ranges . 3 of them have 30 lanes each and on the weekends there is often a waiting list in the mornings . Mostly because the weekends are also the days many of the ranges have competitions going on so you often only have half the lanes available until about noon .

Anyways , there has been 2 guns stolen in the 5 years I've been a member while the range was open and there are RSO on every range. With the main 300yd range having at least 3 ( often 4 or 5 ) with any other having no less then two . The RSO can't watch your stuff because they don't know who has what . These are all out doors ranges with gun racks behind the line that are quite full on busy days . You'd have to have some big ones but I figure it would not be hard to steal a gun from the range . The best place to keep your guns ( other then your car ) when down range checking targets . Is on the shooting bench . Although when the range is cold you are not to handle ANY firearms . The shooting line is completely off limits so if someone grabs a gun off a bench , IT IS NOTICED . While if you grabbed one off the rack and put it in a case real fast . You'd get a few stink eyes and maybe someone says something but your chances would be much better off a rack .

I was shooting one day with my dad there and a few friends . My friends wanted to go shoot some pistol and so did I . So I left most of my stuff down at the main range ( 2 AR's , 308 target rifle ) and my range bag , rest etc with my dad at the bench next to his . That very well may have been the dumbest thing I've done at the range next to shooing a bee away with a loaded 1911 . Nothing was stolen or anything but all I could think about when shooting pistol was the firearms I left down the road about 250yds away . Not likely to happen again .

Gun stores get robbed fairly often.

We had a guy use a fake ID at a indoor range here in San Diego that rented a FN Scar . He went in to shoot for awhile then put the Scar in one of his cases and walked right out the door with it . I don't believe they ever caught the guy either and they had good security video of the guy .

I just found this . Turns out the guy was robbing/stealing from a few stores and the owner of one recognized him and called the police while he was still in his store
http://fox5sandiego.com/2015/12/20/gun-store-owner-helps-police-nab-suspected-gun-thief/

Last edited:
The range I use is secluded and although the access gate has a lock, the range can be accessed in other ways if someone plans a dirty deed there.

I read a Massad Ayoob book about very dangerous criminals and famous shootouts. It had a chapter about two guys, ex special forces boys, that caught a shooter unawares at a secluded range, surprised him, shot him and took his guns! They then went on a murderous shooting spree.

Ever since I read this, when at the range, I am always "looking over my shoulder" it's called SITUATIONAL AWARENESS!

When shooting a long arm, I am always armed with a concealed handgun and always sling my rifle on my shoulder when checking, setting up, or arranging targets down range.

When it gets close to hunting season and the once a year guys frequent the range to check zeros, etc. I am nowhere to be found near that range as the breaking of safety rules are unreal and I'm thankful and not a little surprised that there hasn't been a tragic "accident" up there during this time.

Back