What sear/disco set?

To WVSig. I actually really like the pull my stock ignition parts give me. Its the "MIM" thing I was trying to get away from, I have already purchased a few sears and hammers and DISCONNECTORS to work on my self the Harrison kit I was going to drop in and see how it functions then go from there, along with the sear spring he sells on his website. I am only looking for a 4-5lb trigger pull because this is my EDC. I want high quality in everything I do as far as hobbies go especially the one that could save my life some day, god forbid that situation ever come about. I would take that class but am thinking of taking Larry Vicker's class if he even still does it. I have taken the Rifle Dynamics Ak class but already knew how to build those, but I did learn a lot and it was worth every penny.

Yes I am going to be a gunsmith someday soon, have been building and working on my own guns ever since I could pull a trigger. I seem to be bugging some of you with my continuous questions and some seem to understand me a little better. I mean well I am just seeking information from real people who have been there and have done that. I am the kinda guy who HAS to do it himself first-maybe many times, just to learn the HOW-TO. This forum has been of great help and is probably one of the best out there. The b.s. is minimal if at all here and I like it.

I am not trying to be rude but if you have no formal training, no certification, no apprenticeship etc... how are you going to justify calling yourself a gunsmith? Tinkering on your own guns is not the same as being a smith. You say you want high quality everything yet you purchased a SA 1911 with MIM parts, which are not as bad as people think they are & I am not a fan of MIM, if you really wanted the highest quality. If you really wanted high quality I would have started with a platform like the Dan Wesson Heritage or Valor. No MIM and the entry point into truly high end 1911s. IMHO

If you need information from "real people" on the internet I am not sure how you could justify asking someone to pay for your services. I think it is great that you are looking to become a gunsmith but the way you are going about it makes no sense to me.

I personally would never give a gun to a smith who did not have some level of bona fides? Just because you have installed a 1911 trigger and understand how it works does not make one a gunsmith. I have a few custom guns from people like Don Williams, Bruce Gray, AP Cogan, Novak, Jim West, Garthwaite etc... and they were worth the cost of ownership. With these guys you are getting a known quantity. Everyone has to start somewhere but you need to build your skills and your rep on a solid foundation.

If you are really interested in becoming a "real" gunsmith I would suggest heading over to ltwguns.com. It is the Louder than Words forum which is full of some of the top names in the business. People like Don Williams, Jason Burton, Ted Yost, Chuck Rodgers, Ned Christiansen, Patrick Sweeney etc... The list goes on and on. These are master level guys. Artists who happen to work on guns. If you go over there I would lurk before you post. Not a lot of posting but tons of knowledge.

Good luck on your endeavors.

Gunslick said:
The TR sear is the one I am after ...
The true radius sear is best suited for bullseye pistols with very light triggers. You posted that you want your trigger between 4 and 5 pounds. You don't need -- and probably shouldn't have -- a true radius sear. The 2-angle sear is much better suited for your purposes. Especially for a carry gun.

Since the virtual end of USGI surplus parts, I've been using Wilson Factory Plus parts for basic service-grade replacements. IMO their sears etc. are substantially better than what you find in low-end Springfields.

Thankfully, disco has been dead for 35 plus years. No such thing as a 'disco' in any pistol.
Drop in parts rarely fit quite right. Trigger parts require fitting to work properly.

Sarge said:
Since the virtual end of USGI surplus parts, I've been using Wilson Factory Plus parts for basic service-grade replacements. IMO their sears etc. are substantially better than what you find in low-end Springfields.
Agreed on the quality. And, since even their "value plus" ignition parts are MIM, I'm pretty certain the "factory plus" parts are also MIM. I've never had a problem with them.

Got Em!

Okay I got the set. Will be posting pictures tomorrow on what I do. This is a very very polished sweet looking set, John installed the hammer strut which was nice of him, filing on the thumb safety now but gonna give it a break and finish tomorrow. Ill post pictures tomorrow of this awesome set before it goes into the gun. One thing I really like about this medium bow trigger I bought from Harrison is that the take-up stop is set in there and I am filing on that tonight as well. I'm gonna fit it to have just a little bit of take-up, but thus far everything seems to be fitting well, also I have these pins I made that I insert on the outside of the frame so I can actually see how the sear and hammer are engaging. I figured this would save some time.

Gunslick said:
... filing on the thumb safety now but gonna give it a break and finish tomorrow. Ill post pictures tomorrow of this awesome set before it goes into the gun.
If you haven't installed the new parts yet, why are you filing on the thumb safety and how do you know where to file and how much? The thumb safety has to be fitted to the hammer and sear when they are installed in the gun. You may already have filed too much -- be sure to run all safety checks after to install the new parts.

Im sorry let me correct my correct myself. I have put the ignition set it to fit the thumb safety its not going to take much off. Im filing on the part that uh needs to be filed on. Thumb safety shaft fit perfect, slot where safety slides up and down in frame fit tight but well only part needing filing is the lug that bumps the sear.

My Progress so far..

So I have functioned check the ignition set, it was not drop in but in terms of the sear angles it most certainly was, John was nice enough to install hammer strut but the hammer strut pin protruded ever so slightly so I took my sharpy and an hour of time and a small flat file and filed it almost flush, finishing up on 2500 grit sand paper and a block and that took care of that. I pretty much installed ignition set and adjusted sear spring bought from John, all safety checks check out with the exception of the thumb safety for I haven't fit that part yet, but very happy so far. Am going to take my time on this and should have it up and running Saturday and will give you a range report at that time.

Back