What scope(s) do you consider the most handsome?

I think its great as well. Was first introduced to the 264 while in the navy my best friend has a model 70 chambered in it and we shot it A LOT. Wish he would sell me that rifle.....Trying to save up to build a house so my ammo/gun fund has been chopped. :mad:

Last edited:
You all must be old, since you all think these old things are "handsome".:D

I've been pondering this question since I saw the thread. I can't quite put "handsome" and "firearms optics" together. The closest I can get is "cool". I think US Optics has some cool looking scope. I just don't see handsome.

Life is way to short for UGLY....Most handsome is a blued steel Weaver, mine is a K-4, but any of the K-series, mounted in blued steel weaver rings.
You can keep all those flat black , painted and rubber coated things.

No if's , and's or but's...Gary

Brian Pfleuger:

You all must be old, since you all think these old things are "handsome".

I've been pondering this question since I saw the thread. I can't quite put "handsome" and "firearms optics" together. The closest I can get is "cool". I think US Optics has some cool looking scope. I just don't see handsome.

We have to send this guy to the reeducation center

customacf5425.jpg

Anything low to the boreline, that most hold its zero. If it looks lean and mean so be it.

I do like 30mm scopes.

The 50mm bell on the Nikon scope provides a wide field of view and lets in a lot of light providing clarity; I like those two features.

Old Redfields look pretty good.The older Lyman and Unertl internal adj hunting scopes have a clean,business like look.(All American and Hawk,etc)

I love the way most Zeiss look. There's something about their sleek and hyper functional design that makes me happy. Nothing fancy... No crazy images or text. Just the blue banner Zeiss and glass on either end. Very classy. Second place would be the gold ring leupolds.

For downright x rated sexiness I have to put my word in for either Schmidt and Bender or US Optics.

Don't know if handsome is a term I would use while discussing the various qualities of an optic.

That being said, I do appreciate the turrets on my Vortex Viper PST FFP optic. I do find it very easy to look at them, especially compared to the forest green turret markings on a Bushnell Elite 4200 I have on another rifle. What were they thinking?

10fcp-6.jpg

Truth is, I don't like the looks of any scope-I think they detract from the appearance of most hunting rifles and almost always adversely affect their handling qualities. Which isn't to say that I don't appreciate the many advantages good optics offer and that I don't have scopes mounted on many (well, most :o) of my rifles. A necessary evil in my mind and, accordingly, I have several wicked rifles. :)

For these reasons, if I am choosing a scope for a hunting rifle based on appearance, I would look for the most compact, streamlined variant practical from a company known for good glass and dependability. I also prefer the finish to match the type of finish on the rifle; which is why I prefer the old Weaver steel-tubed scopes having a blued finish to mount on rifles with much the same type of bluing. I do like the contrast offered by putting a gloss blue scope on a s/s rifle.

For me, it's also important to affix the scope to strong but streamlined mounts and rings. Hard to beat the Ruger "built-in" mount on their Model 77/MKII receivers (and other rifles having the same feature) for keeping a minimalist configuration. I also want a scope mounted as low as practical-which is why I have a strong aversion to "see-thru" type rings.

I always thought that the old Bausch & Lomb design where the adjustments were contained in the mount with the scope having only an etched reticle on the lens was a good idea-except those mounts were necessarily awfully bulky.

Finally, I doubt very much that I will ever mount a scope on a handgun-well, maybe on a Contender...:eek:

This is Leupold's top centerfold. Like being married to a super model that also cooks and likes to wash your truck...:D

Back