What scope(s) do you consider the most handsome?

Bushmaster1313

Scopes are made for looking through.
But they also are made for looking at.

What scopes(s) do you consider the best looking?

I like the Weaver brass ring K2.5:

CIMG1592_zps3d14e7ad.jpg

and the Leupold M8 3x

CIMG1667_zps77153bd9.jpg

Overall, the old Leupold Vari-X II series was hard to beat. Plenty-good optics for a hunter. Rugged. Clean lines, moreso than almost any other.

The old steel-tube Weavers also worked well and had clean lines.

Bushmaster, like your rifles and scopes plenty. Partial to the Win 88 and anything Mannlicher stocked. But.....

I don't care for those old big dial Weaver rings at all. The 88 is such a sleek rifle, respectfully suggest you find yourself a set of Burris Z rings or anything else to match that slick lever you've got. The small dial weavers on the Ruger are OK, almost Euro looking, which matches the stock, so that one gets a pass.

Scopes,... the 20mm tube bell scopes look right on carbines and you've nailed the look on your Ruger. And I don't care hardly for any bell over 40mm for sporters. I don't own a hunting rifle that has a bell over 40mm, though the 42mm in the Leupold fixed 6x is a likelyhood in the future.

Lately I've gotten involved with some old USA Redfields with the widefield bells, and think they have a good Euro look. After that, EATMAN has it right regards VARI-X II and the old Weavers. Vintage Weaver glass not up to modern standards, and the steel tubes are heavy comparitively speaking, but sleek lines.

How about this, a Gloss finish scope on a Gloss blue firearm. A Matte scope on a Matte gun and a Silver scope on a Silver gun. Gloss scopes are almost extinct these days.:( Oh and Bushmaster, those are two beautiful rifles!

Well, emcon, when choosing among several items, any of which would function well enough for your purpose, why not go for the best looking?

Well, emcon, when choosing among several items, any of which would function well enough for your purpose, why not go for the best looking?

If that is the case, then I go with the least expensive...:D

Will there judging of scopes in swimsuits in the international beauty contests for them? Maybe bikini size caps covering their two bulging parts.

To look at...

1962 vintage Walther KKJ with a Leupold...

Pre-64 Winchester with an Unertl Hawk...

But the two best scopes I have to look through are these:

Back in the 50's we considered the weaver the bottom of the barrel in all terms including resolution and finish.

These days Leupold is pretty much the leader however there is a aura to names like Swarovski, Zeiss, Hensoldt.

Here is a 15X Unertl Ultra Varmint.

th

Last edited:
Heh. Back in the 1950s, the Tasco was about the brightest scope you could buy. :) Trouble was, the coating evaporated in a year or three and they went sorta dim. :(

But the old Weaver worked okay. My uncle built up a Varminter with a Gebby barrel on a 98. Weaver K-10. I counted the steps, one night, to a trotting jackrabbit he had shot. 239 long steps.

(For the younguns: The Varminter was a necked-down 250-3000, now known as the .22-250.)

Overall, the old Leupold Vari-X II series was hard to beat. Plenty-good optics for a hunter. Rugged. Clean lines, moreso than almost any other.

Art, I agree about the Vari-Xii -- Understated elegance:

cimg0400j.jpg

cimg1308d.jpg

(P.S., the 1957 Winchester 88 in .243 pictured in the first post is one of my keepers. The 4 digit 1955 Winchester 88 in .308 in this post was traded after one week for a 12 gauge Winchester 1987 because the .308 hurt my shoulder and was no fun to shoot at the range. The 12 gauge 97 is a creampuff compared to the .308 88!)

Last edited:
trigger643, is that a box of .264 win mag in your pic? possibly the caliber of your rifle. My first experience with one was fun but not practical. A lot of powder for what she is. Great round though very fun.

Back