What round and Smith and Wesson revolver would you pick for long range plinking?

I had a 4" Model 57 41 S&W Magnum in Nickel and traded it away because I already had a 44 Magnum. So, counting my 41 Magnum gun, I think S&W sold a total of about 100 41 Magnums and Ruger maybe the same. Gee, we have some rare antiques and collectibles owned by some of our members. And a fiercely loyal, some would say fanatical, following.
Our gun shop has sold 2 .44 Magnums in the last month; a new 629 6" and a used stainless 4" Anaconda. We've sold 2 .41 Magnums in the same time frame; a used 7.5" Blackhawk and a new 6" 657.
That's also why a box of factory 41 Magnum costs about double of a box of 44 Magnum. Because nobody wants to buy it, nobody wants to stock it, so they charge extra.
In the past week, my gunsmith clipped one box of Magtech .44 off the shelf to go test fire a carbine and a Desert Ego owner bought one box of Winchester white box. In the same time frame, I sold 3 boxes of .41 mag 175gr Silvertips and 2 of Federal's 210gr JHP load (all five @ $11.99/box). Go figure. Like the 10mm and .32 H&R Mag, the continuous, droning reports of the .41 Mag's demise are greatly exaggerated...

You really can't go wrong with any S&W in any caliber for plinking at 150 yards. Even the K22 is a lot of fun at a couple hundred yards if you can see the bullet strike, like in dusty soil or, safety permitting, in large bodies of water. Cheap to shoot too!

Whatever one you choose will do fine. Everybody should have a 29 though.

.429 Magnums

are best carried low and in front. That way they can best suppliment an obvious deficency in the Jock Strap Filler department.:p

Caliber Wars

Just because a cartridge isn't POPULAR doesn't mean it's not good.

I have a 32 Remington caliber pump rifle that is built far better than anything you can buy today, except that ammunition is OBSOLETE. The 32 Remington was part of a series of rimless cartridges brought out by Rem to compete with the rimmed Winchester rounds. They came in 25, 30, 32, and 35 flavors. Now the only one available is the 35 Remington, beloved of deer hunters in the brush. The guns even had a tubular magazine (Pederson designed) with a spiral track so that pointed bullets could be used, unlike the Winchester and Marlin lever guns. :eek: Nevertheless, the 30/30 Winchester buried them all except for the 35 Rem which was a better cartridge according to some.

Come to think of it, can you run down to the corner Wal-Mart or hardware store and buy 25-35, 32 Win Special, or 38-55 -- all standard Win 94 calibers? Doubt it. So a lot of those ole smokepoles are nothing more than an expensive paperweight unless you reload and can find brass. Where is 250 and 300 Savage? The 300 was pretty close in power to a 30'06 and came about 50 years before the hi-tech 308 Win. And the Savage 99 was a hell of a lot handier than any bolt action with comparable power.

Like the 41 S&W Mag, the 32 H&R Mag, and 10 mm Auto will be in another generation. Obsolescence does not mean BAD, it means it's OVER.
:(

best long range revolver

Elmer Kieth knew what made the best long range revolver round that is why he developed the 44,it is perfect ,not to much recoil but enough power to get the job done no testosterone defiencency here just know what is best,I think a high percentage of 41mag shooters are new shooters who have been wisely advised that the 357 is not enough for large game ,I know it will kill deer ,but it is not a wise choice,thes newwer shooters are intimidated by the 44,s recoil,so they compromise and settle on the 41 which isnt a bad choice it just aint a 44 and it will never be.

tamara,one more thing on this subject call rcbs and ask them which reloading dies they sell more of,I havnt bought a box of factory 44 ammo in ten years and neither have any of my 44 totin buddies.:cool:

Back