What round and Smith and Wesson revolver would you pick for long range plinking?

Willy

When I say long range I am thinking in the neighborhood of 150 yards.

And I like Smith and Wessons.

I am leaning toward a model 29 with the 8 3/8's barrel. What cha think?

Both the 10mm Auto and the .41 Magnum are a bit more flat-shooting than the .44 Magnum, so I'd lean more towards a Model 57 or a 610 Classic Hunter for that kind of long-range handgunnery.

.357 Magnum is also not bad for plinking at range, I get pretty good minute-of-rock accuracy at 200 yards with my 19 or 686 out in the green.

110-gr .357's shoot really flat and fairly accurately out at the 225-yd marker from my scoped 8 3/8" 586.

>>When I say long range I am thinking in the neighborhood of
>>150 yards.

That is long range to me. If I were capable my 686 8-3/8 could reach out that far. I'm happy at 50 - 75, but everything would have to be perfect. (Edit: I'm talking iron sights of course.)

justinr1

Last edited:
"110-gr .357's shoot really flat and fairly accurately out at the 225-yd marker from my scoped
8 3/8" 586." -- Tamara

I'm looking for an equivalent .44 Mag load to use in my 629 with equal length barrel.

Any suggestions from the assembled crowd?

My long range handgun is a 586 with 8 3/8" barrel. If I had to have just a handgun with no rifle for any situation, that would be it. :)

>>I'm looking for an equivalent .44 Mag load to use in my 629
>>with equal length barrel.

>>Any suggestions from the assembled crowd?

In factory ammo a quick check nets me:

Federal Classic, 180s JHP at 1610fps out of 6.5 inch barrel
Remington SJHP, 180 also listed at 1610, unknown barrel length.

I could not find a Winchester equivalent, but I didn't try all that hard either.

justinr1

long range weapon of choice

is my 6" barrel Smith and Wesson 686-5; stoked
with any of the available 110grain JHP's.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

When I think plinking, I think "just to see if I can", and not shooting for score or group. I guess my 4" Model 29 w/ a handload cast lead SWC 240 gr running around 1000-1100 fps., and of course open sights and off hand, preferaby weak handed---a scope and a rest would be cheating ;).

If it mattered, I'd go with my 6" Barrel Model 19 and a 125 gr JSP running as fast as I could get it to go and use a seated position with my hands between my knees, and back against a solid object.

.41 Magnum, Of Course!

M657 (.41 Magnum) Classic Hunter (6" Barrel)

225 gr. H&G Keith Type cast of Lin-O-Type over 22.0 gr. 296 for circa 1,300 fps. Bullet weighs same as 240 gr. .429 Magnum bullet, cast of same alloy. Much flatter shooting though!

I moly coat using NECO Moly-Kote process (less wax) and lube with NRA formula beeswas/Alox. Bullet is seated over a NECO P-Wad. NO LEADING!

Yr. Obt.Svnt.

I second the S&W 57 or 657 in .41 mag., with a 6: barrel.

Sweet trigger pull in both single and double action. I use 215 gr JHP with 2400 (don't have the data with me).

With iron sights, anything within 100 yards is toast holding at the 6 o'clock of the target. 100-150 yards is no problem either, just need to hold a little lower. Practice, of course , is the key.

Smith & Wesson Extreme!

pc629a_med.jpg

Robert

Robert the MAG really doesn't have that boat oar.
Well, at least he told ME that anything over
6" or so was a waste. But then again....dewey

* My 629 MagnaClassis .44MAG 7 1/2 can go 150 easy
but I CAN'T ! *

long range smith

I would take a 629 classic dx 8.375 barrel 44 mag 240 gr solid point it has the flattest trajectory of the 44,s put a two power leopold on it and 150 yd 6" groups will be a piece of cake off of sandbags.zero for 25 yds you will be about 2" high at 50 yds right on at 100yds and you will have to hold about 8' high at 150yds if you practice so that you know your trajectory you might be able to hit a soup can now and then at 175yds ,the 44 has as much energy at 100 yds as the 41 mag does at the muzzle it has a flatter trajectory also, by about two inches at 150 yds with the hottest loads listed for each in the speer reloading manual,

You know Redneck, I think every single person that ever bought a 41 Magnum has posted on this thread twice. :rolleyes:

I had a 4" Model 57 41 S&W Magnum in Nickel and traded it away because I already had a 44 Magnum. So, counting my 41 Magnum gun, I think S&W sold a total of about 100 41 Magnums and Ruger maybe the same. Gee, we have some rare antiques and collectibles owned by some of our members. And a fiercely loyal, some would say fanatical, following. ;)

That's also why a box of factory 41 Magnum costs about double of a box of 44 Magnum. Because nobody wants to buy it, nobody wants to stock it, so they charge extra.

However, I have kept my long tom blue 44 Magnum as zealously as a Catholic father keeps a piece of the true cross.

I don't have a lot of use for either the 357 or the 41 S&W Magnum. They are all designed for long tubes, despite what some people will tell you about their hard hitting 3 incher.

The 357 usually comes in too heavy a gun and the 41 is virtually the same heft as the 44, but is a weak sister. There is really no need for it, like the Harley Sportster, unless you want to call it a woman's caliber like the Sportster is a woman's bike. Albeit a hairy-chested woman, to be sure.

I didn't say I couldn't use them, I said I didn't have much use for them.

:cool:

Back