What rifle would you pick for survival based on...

I'd say a .22 rifle for food getting, and a DA revolver in some large manly caliber for defense. In specifics, I'd say a marlin model 60, (i do like the things, plus, they're light) and a old style (ya know fifties and sixties) s&w .357. But, a good nearly unbreakable knife is a very good idea. as for ammo, two to four bricks of the .22, and maybe a hundred rounds of the pistol. that's for semi-dangerous country. for combat country, take a good long range rifle, so your opponents won't be in great numbers by the time they can get close enough to do you harm. FIND THE HIGH GROUND!

~~~Mineralman

The new H&K OICWS (Objective Individual Combat Weapons System). You've got your .223 for the normal critters, then you got that 20mm for the stubborn critters.

AR15 W/ 22 LR conversion and a Leupold LR scope. Oh ya and a 37 mm grenade launcher.

Giz

"They that can give up essential
liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759.

[This message has been edited by Giz (edited January 11, 2000).]

3 possibilities spring to mind, depending on just how important a consideration weight actually is. All are rifles I would bet my life on lasting a full year with no real maintenance or spare parts.

1. Nylon 66 and 2000 rounds would be less than 10 pounds. Anemic round, but is capable of feeding you and yours quietly and unobtrusively. If weight's the most important thing, this is the setup.

2. AK-47 or variant and 2000 rounds would be about 60 pounds, this gives a better round and better ITSHTF capability, the round will handle most North American game.

3. Enfield #4 cut to carbine length and 2000 rounds would be around 100 pounds, this would also do the job and the cartridge is up to anything on this continent if it's placed right.

Any of these will fit your budget as well. Hope this helps.

------------------
"We all have it coming, kid..." Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven

Marlin .444. It will gut,skin&cook a rabbit. ;) :D

[This message has been edited by JHS (edited January 11, 2000).]

Another good idea is to start scouting for places to cache ammo (and other supplies) in whatever area you expect to end-up if there's trouble (like the election of Al Gore!).

If you're talking about survival (not militia-style defense of the country), then I would go with a .308/.30-06 bolt gun with a great piece of glass on it that mounts high so you can still use the iron sights. Zero the iron sights at 100 yards and the glass at 300 yards. Buy 100 rounds of match-grade 168-gr HPBT. Find a good place to hunt large, four-legged beasts. You should be able to live for quite a while off of even a smallish deer.

Now, if you're talking about killing for food AND defending your country, I would go with the AR-15 since you'd be looking to carry rounds in the 1,000 range rather than the 100 range.

Does anyone know off the top of their head what 100 rounds of .223 weighs as compared to 100 rounds of .308?

Back