What rifle to buy REM or WTBY opinions please !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rem 700 sps tactical comes at 20" barrel, and it's a thicker barrel, so it shouldn't kick as bad as some of the lightweight shorties - it's definitely on my short list.
If you're okay with cutting something down you can also look around for something lightly used - you can turn it into exactly what you want, and might be able to save some money.

If length and weight are a concern then perhaps a Remington Model 7 would be a better choice.

m7-1.jpg

Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine. .308 Win, 20" heavy barrel and accurate right out of the box. Mine came from the factory with about 1.5lbs of trigger pull. I shoot 46grns of Varget, Win LR primers and a 165grn Nosler Ballistic Tip for .5" MOA. And I don't lose that much velocity over a 24" barrel. It isn't a pretty rifle but it definitely gets the job done. Deer, pigs, yotes and paper targets get real scared when I tote it into the woods or range.

For some reason, that same load in the Remington 700 Tactical had more noticable recoil and showed some pressure signs.

I personally have a savage in .223 for a varmint rifle. And it's very accurate. I'd recommend it to anyone, even though the bolt on mine tends to be a little stiff. As for the opinion on your rifle options, I'd go with remington. In fact, I am going with remington when I purchase the 770 in .308.

Howa 1500 Target/Varmint at CDNN $389...

Mine shoots a 5 shot group at .66 of an inch consistently. I use it for paper and varmints. It has become my grab and go gun. Just REALLY like it. I have a 700 standard barrel .308 and take the Howa instead. This shot was over 300 yards...

hog1.jpg

i have 3 weatherby vanguards, excellent rifles. i have 1 remington rifle that i have had problems with. i would recommend the vanguard or move to the savage, remington isn't getting much good press these days.

I have owned Rems and Howas (Vanguards), and both are Damn good guns. However the Remington 700 is a VERY strong action w/3 rings of steel, made in the USA, and the triggers are sweet. Do a search on this forum on both guns (Remington 700 & Weatherby Vanguard) and you will have many hours of good reading, info., etc.

I love my Ruger 77T in 308.

Chose the rifle that fits you best. Use the same criteria you would use for a shotgun. Basically, does the weapon fall in line when you shoulder it. That eliminates the need to position rifle on the target and allows you to concentrate on fine sight adjustments.

Well.......I finally got my rifle,for those of you who helped me thanks again I really appreciate it !

Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 (Barrel reduced to 18" w/ target Crown)
Nikon Prostaff 4x12x40 Scope
Harris SB1 6"-9" Bipod

First shoot,Easter Sunday......Wish me luck....:)

Attachments

• REM 308.jpg
    REM 308.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 40
I have had bad experiences with Remington recently. I bought two Remington rifles last year that had to go back to the factory. The first was a Model Seven, which had head space issues and the second was a 597 which threw an ejector pin and had sights off center. I cannot help but conclude that Big Green has let their quality control falter of late.

I traded in my M7 for a Vanguard S2 in .308. I vote for Weatherby.

That is why I bought a Model 700.....Although to eliminate any potential problems,I had the gunsmith that did the barrel work do a once over on it and found nothing wrong....I don't think Remington has a overall quality issue,rather they had a bad run of rifles,and that can happen to any company that produces the amount of rifles and such Remington does every year.....In the end when making my choice I figured,good enough for the military,good enough for me.....Maybe you got a couple lemons ?? Sounds like it if you bought them in a close proximity of each other and they both had issues.

well I have both a remington 700 and a weatherby vanguard(first gen). weatherby garantees sub MOA out of the box, remington does not. many of remingtons specialty 700s such as the sps have some sort of coating on the bolts that makes them gritty and not all that fun to operate while their more basic 700s(ADL,BDL) have the same old smooth bolt operation.

between the 2 I would say vanguard over 700. either one is going to be hard to be upset with though.

My 700 Buckmasters SPS .270 Win has the black oxide type finish on the bolt and it's smooth as silk. It's also sub-MOA out of the box. Joe Chicago can bitch because he's had actual problems but don't just pass on rumors if you've never had Remington problems.

Saw the OP bought a Remington and I wish him all the best with it...

Just my opinion but I would buy the Weatherby Vanguard 2 or the Savage,,,or maybe the Thompson Center Venture,,,the only Remington I would consider would be the 5R.

My 700 Buckmasters SPS .270 Win has the black oxide type finish on the bolt and it's smooth as silk. It's also sub-MOA out of the box. Joe Chicago can bitch because he's had actual problems but don't just pass on rumors if you've never had Remington problems.

first of all, I meant no offense, I sure wasn't expecting an off the wall comment back.

second. as stated. I own a mid 80s 700 that on a good day with match ammo is able to hold MOA. I like the action on it, however I have played with a number of 700s at my LGS' that have the coating on the bolts and they all feel like running chalkboard through the action. if it smooths out over time then I'm sorry, otherwise you just got an exception to the rule.

either way, apparently OP has already picked himeself up a rifle so this is all moot anyway.
EDIT: now that I have actually read the whole thread, congrats on the 700, I will say the your scope selection is going to be a hard one to beat. I have the same scope on my weatherby and it's one ofthe nicest I've owned.

Every barrel has tight and looser areas in the bore. Some factory barrels are worse than others and cold-forged barrels may be some of the most uniform.

If you're fussy about accuracy, then, prior to cutting any barrel, it should be slugged with lead to find the tightest spot within the approximate length desired. That spot will give you the best chance of obtaining best accuracy out of it. At the very least, don't cut it at a very loose place because gasses will leak past the bullet at the new muzzle and probably not uniformly, tipping it at the most critical location of it's flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back