what rifle rest?

My "budget" bags are empty 25# shot bags (the cloth kind) filled with sandbox sand. Fill to desired amount, fold over and glue shut with silicone sealant and reinforce with a couple of wraps of Gorilla tape. May not be pretty but for the $5.00 cost of a 40# bag of clean sand, you can make dozens of bags. Stack them any way you like.

One of my rear bunny eared leather bag's is filled with #9 lead bird shot --- Though I heard lead filled bags are against the rules in sanctioned competitions.

The trouble I had with my Trackdrive bag took place at my club range. Due to the height of the bench-rest shooting tables. When sitting on a supplied stool. My T/D bag wasn't high enough to shoot comfortably off of. I've always from day one had to place that bag up on-top of two layers of Lawrence shot bags. And too the Tackdriver bag came pre-filled from the factory. (I assuming the bag was filled correctly) still my rifles always laid a- top of the shooting bag not in any way held steady to my liking. To remove any of the bags tightly compressed black sand to better steady the firearm simply reduced its overall bag height. What I call one of those Catch 22 situation.

So with breathing control and folding one arm and too steadying myself up against the bench table itself supplied the stillness the swollen to capacity Bag couldn't. Happy Days: Dog Gone Good Bag supported my rifles high enough without the need of it sitting atop of other bags and too encompassed enough of the rifle to supply rock solid support.

I would suggest when buying a firearm Rest of any kind. Do some measuring first. Like: At what height above the bench table surface do you need your firearm supported? so to shoot comfortably when seated.
Store bought Bags may not fit that need. And those screw up pedestal mounts often may be a turn or three too short.
Years ago when bench shooting. All shooters having a good supply of homemade shooting bags along to stack-up. "Always seemed to work just fine." ;)

I use a Bulls Bag filled with rice. Like some of the others have stated, you have to raise it up a bit. I made a small wooden platform for mine.

I like to use only a front rest, not both, as it means I'm have to actually aim rather than just direct it. I've had a Caldwell Rock Jr. Front Rest for like 25yrs (it doesn't look exactly like the current version) and it's good enough for me to use my handloads in my scoped AR A4 to shoot medium sized apples with . . . . . . . . . . at 400+yds. :)

Back