what rifle rest?

axis223

looking at Caldwell rock rest for the front of the rifle. I currently have the $30 front a rear bag but don't feel it holds the front steady enough.

someone also recommended the Caldwell bag that holds the whole rifle.

any thoughts?

This one has been great for my use. Steadypoint Rifle Rest. I use it at the range and in the field.

Attachments

• Steadypoint.jpg
    Steadypoint.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 74
Caldwell bags seldom meet anyone's expectations for a steady rest. But this one I propose will.
Dog Gone Good Bags encompasses the front and sides of your rifle or pistol holding it rock steady thus allowing its shooter to pin point his firearms accuracy spot on target. No wiggle, no having to draw a breath before you're squeezing of the trigger. Simply concentrate on your target picture and trigger pull is the usual with this bag. You'll experience those clover leaf groupings instead of reading of.
A super bag for those wanting to shoot spot on accuracy out to 2-300 yards bench rest.
Frankly speaking: I have a Cadwell Tackdriver bag. It sits in the closet collecting dust these days.
Given a try by a fellow shooter of this/his bag of choice. (DGGB) What a huge difference between it and the Tackdriver for aiming accurately.

http://www.dog-gone-good.com/

Take a look at the Bulls Bag . I have a Sinclair rest but I grab my Bulls Bag most of the time when I go shooting .

May I suggest getting a front pedestal rest that weighs at least 12 pounds, especially if your planning to do some serious benchrest shooting. I have a Hart pedestal front rest --- The Sinclair International pedestal {competition/varmint} rests seem to be the best --- The Caldwell competition rest is cheaper than the Sinclair's...and might be a "Best Buy" --- But I never shot off a Caldwell competition rest.

I use a cheap $20 set of Caldwell bags. With my Winchester 1885 in 270WSM, I regularly shoot five rounds at 100 yards into 1/2" or less. Best group so far .317".

Not sure how much difference a more expensive rest would make.

Last week, I couldn't get my .223 to do better than 1.5" at 50 yards.

Didn't blame it on the shooting bags.

stagpanther: Best results are obtained by having the bags under, not in front of the rifle. :rolleyes:

Many overlook the importance of holding your mouth just right as you squeeze the trigger.

I use a sandbag my wife made out of a leg of a pair of jeans my son outgrew. Normally sit it on top of a .50 cal ammo can. Use the same thing as a rear bag.

Seems to work OK:

sako_berger90s.jpg

"...leg of a pair of jeans..." And an entrenching tool makes the best rest there is. Doesn't have to be the leg of a pair of jeans though. Making a sand bag out of an old pillow case or a cloth sugar/flour/etc bag works just as well.
Bag of cat litter, rice or anything like it works as well.

I would recommend you use s bipod and learn how to use it. Load the bipod, you will get better results then a bag. It will help to manage recoil

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

I am getting along with my Caldwell front rest and assortment of rear bags. But I would like to step up to something like the bald eagle some time.

The Caldwell Rock is running 50-60 bucks. Short money, easy to justify.

The Caldwell is a big step up. You will be satisfied. The eagle is another step. You may choose to take two steps at once. The problem is you dont know what you are missing. First crawl, then walk then run. You are ready to start walking.

FWIW:

https://www.google.com/search?q=eag...X&ved=0ahUKEwjzlNSz88fMAhXDpB4KHWReAZUQsAQIOw

The actual sale price / retail on the bald eagle is around 200. Or maybe there have been even better deals. These are discussed and popular on other forums.

I would pay attention to Erno's suggestion of sinclair. I have no experience there but it sounds worth considering. I think these run 300-600 dollars. I dont recommend, just say consider. I am still a walker, myself.

Not wanting to make a federal case of it, I might just go with the bald eagle. Me, not you. You need to decide for yourself and be practical with the budget & needs.

I suggest you pass up the 1/2 way shortcut suggestions and get a real rest. Life is too short.

If you're looking for something for range use, take a look at these.

http://www.inrangesupplies.com/range-management/range-supplies/dura-bloc

They are a little heavier then bags but they are great. You can flip them over and get several heights. Steady suckers. About the most steady I've found. You can use them on a bench or prone.

The CMP started using them instead of sand bags at their range for the Vintage Sniper Matches.

Not something you'd want to pack hunting unless you're hunting from a blind.

Totally indestructible.

I use a Caldwell Rock rest and also a Bulls Bag that I filled with cat litter. I like them both,but with the Bulls Bag,I always have to put two sand bags under it to raise it up in order to use a rear bag on my rifles.

Txhillbilly that's my concern w Bulls bag, the dogonegood bag looks higher but not sure if it locks in like a bulls.

what rifle rest?

Depending on budget and expected use, you may want to consider a Wichita Rifle rest. I've used one for many years to develop hunting loads for a few rifles.

Last edited:
Back