What range to practice the most at with handgun?

What range to practice the most at with handgun?

• 3 yards

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 7 yards

Votes: 43 40.6%
  • 10 yards

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • 15 yards

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • 20 yards

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 25 yards

Votes: 13 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No set range for everything

I do not see any point in having a set range for everything. I shoot my hunting handguns mostly at 100 yards, but sometimes 50. I practice most of my small carry weapons at 15 yards because it is a compromise - I'm good at much longer ranges, but realistically never expect a SD encounter to be further than that. Besides, I don't like spending more time walking back and forth to the targets than shooting at them!

Hitting a moving target getting close to you should begin at the closeness of your accuracy. If you practice at 3, 5, 7...you are within 1 to 1.5 seconds of the attack. Become proficient at 10 yards, then bring your practice into 7 yards. Your trigger pull will throw you off every time. Practice squeeze on pistols and rifles. Oh, and do not cross your thumbs, as they are not significant in your hand grip.

I can easily keep shots on a sheet of notebook paper at 25 yards with my LCP.
Anyone who can't ought to choose a different hobby. But that's not to the point. If I am training for a defensive situation, I am training at distances realistic to the range at which the vast majority of SD shootings occur: from the end of my nose to maybe 15 yards out. Any time I am placing handgun targets farther than that, I am training for my next bear hunt or shooting for fun.

You guys are either way more accurate than me, or your LCPs are a lot better than mine. I hope to see someone shoot an LCP this well one day first hand. 75 feet is quite a distance for 8.5x11 paper considering the teeny sight radius of an LCP its general lack of good ergonomics. Anyone who can do this "easily" must be from a different planet than me.

I hope to see someone shoot an LCP this well one day first hand.
What part of VA are you in the inlaws are in Chesapeake next time I'm visiting maybe we could get together, I usually drive through the "show me" state so I'm good with the premise. But I assure you I was born right here on earth.

ATN082268 asked:

What range to practice the most at with handgun? I am a novice shooter and plan to use my handgun for self/ home defense. Thank you.

ATN, Start out with:

Shooting slow aimed fire for both group and POA at 25 yds.
AND faster shooting again for both group and POA at 7 yds.

Practice distances

I practice at 3,7,10,15, and 25 yds. I just shoot a lot faster at the shorter ranges and slow down enough to keep my hits in the A Zone of an IPSC target at the longer ranges.

So far there has been three pages of discussion without any agreement. Old Marksman's post sums the problem up elequently....and he was not even in Walmart to do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back