What range to practice the most at with handgun?

What range to practice the most at with handgun?

• 3 yards

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 7 yards

Votes: 43 40.6%
  • 10 yards

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • 15 yards

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • 20 yards

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 25 yards

Votes: 13 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATN082268

What range to practice the most at with handgun? I am a novice shooter and plan to use my handgun for self/ home defense. Thank you.

Multiple ranges. Seems like taking a poll on multitudes of issues are very popular now but few state the intention of the poll clearly and few publish the result and how it aids the average consumer. Pistols are very effective to great distances depending upon shooter ability. I doubt citizens will be contacted by bad guys at a given (7yd, 10 yd etc.) distance, more likely it will be nose to nose distance but how many of us practice putting a firearm into fighting position and firing at one yard? One foot? It actually is kind of scary and is a bit destructive to the target.

distance

I appreciate the previous post....and the fact that few people practice at the shorter ranges.
I do not. My general advice to a new shooter is to practice at 50 ft. or at 25 yards. The theory there is that if you can hit what you are aiming at at 25 yards, you can hit it at five or seven or one.
The real problem for a new shooter at 25 yards is that it is entirely possible to miss the target. When coaching a new shooter outdoors, I put a large sheet of white butcher paper on the backstop, the target goes onto that. Makes finding the misses easier.
Indoors...i keep the target close and move it out as accuracy improves.
My experience with outdoor shooting and shooters who wish to practice close in is that a) the range rules specifically forbid shooting from in front of the firing line and b) when shooters ignore the rule and move forward to practice, no one else can shoot (unless they, too, want to shoot close in)
For the OP...find an indoor range and start with the target at 3 yards.
(Note: I run an indoor range. I have found that many shooters...maybe new shooters....will shoot "down" at a target that is close. The result is that the bullet does not make it to the backstop; I constantly find "skips" on the concrete pad before the backstop.) Make sure to keep your gun level. Shoot with a coach or an experienced shooter.
Pete

Last edited:
Practice firing at all distances! It can't hurt. I like to start off at 5 yards and move it out as I get zoned in. I always finish my session a far out as I can go. I like to include some fast firing as well; "double taps" and mag dumps...

If you want to practice defensive shooting you may want to look into a class or two. Learning how to handle your weapon while getting man-handled is an important skill to have. Taking those lessons home and practicing or reinforcing them is even better.

Invest some money in a good CO2 blow-back airsoft pistol. You can practice drawing and firing at point-blank. Get some face masks and have some buddies over and have fun bum-rushing each other and practice drawing and firing under pressure...

If you are ever put in the unfortunate position of bringing your pistol into use against another human it is unlikely he will be stationary at 50-yards.

Multiple ranges would be ideal however unless you are shooting by yourself on your own property a lot of times this is not possibly - notably ranges shorter than 7 yards. Many indoor ranges have minimun distances - which is reasonable for safety and range longevity since newer shooters may not think how to be responsible with their trajectory at short range.

I usually end up shooting 7 yards minimum, and if I can set up a target farther away - 10-15 yards. The longer distance is to test my fundamentals after a warmup and to check the sighting on my pistols. My poor vision confuses results at 25 yards and out when it comes to testing loads, comparing sight setups and their impact on accuracy etc so I do that less. Lately my shooting spot has no where to sit too...

For those who can't practice closer than 7 yards, here are the work-arounds I usually end up using.

Mental checklist - after warming up with fundamentals, acknowledge that wider shot groups are acceptable in an in-your-face confrontation. Can you picture that silhouette lunging at you or your loved one?

Accept wider groups - Remember, most targets (unless you are at an indoor range) are not fullsized since it would be quite a hassle to staple on. I run some faster controlled pairs and ask: was that still center of mass? If it's still center mass on a mini torso I should proabably try speed things up so that it would just be center of mass on a LIFE-size target and still be acceptable but I routinely fight the perfectionist in me. Perhaps it's vanity since we all love to show off a tight grouping.

Ride the line - between speed and accuracy while constantly pushing those fundamentals. Incorporate a pistol presentation from compressed ready or low ready (acceptable at most ranges). It feels good when it comes together.

What I still need to work on: shooting at longer ranges (I cannot say i've adjusted my windage to still shoot true at 25 yards. Just out to 15 or so). I've also done very little point shooting.

I voted 10 mainly because that is the distance of the closest target stand at the range I belong to. It is a private range, not crowded on week days, and I can, and do walk up to 7, and sometimes even closer. But most of my shooting with what I carry is done at 10 yards.
I shoot my handguns that are more capable of target shooting at 25, and sometimes move over to the rifle side for 50.
For a new shooter, as the OP mentioned I think extending a CCW handgun to 25 yards may be counter productive, and cause frustration. Especially with a sub compact, or pocket gun that would be difficult to get gratifying results with.

My rule for practice is, pick the distance that you're going to be competing at. Shooting at distances any further would be counterproductive, and a waste of time and ammunition.

How big is your bedroom, how long is your hallway, how big is your living room, how far is it to the front door? These are the distances that you should be practicing. The way my place is laid out, I practice a lot of weak hand shooting, so I may take advantage of cover.

Remember the difference, between competition and self-defense is simple. A dropped point in competition is for ever. Being killed the gunfight is simple, Your dead, get over it.

Last edited:
For a true novice shooter? Start with a B27-sized target, and shoot at 10 yards. You won't miss the paper on a target that big, but at 10 yards, you won't be able to see your groups until you bring the target in.

That's important because new shooters tend to try and drift their shots into the center of the target if they see where they're missing. That's a mistake, because it reinforces bad shooting habits. If you're breaking your wrists down in anticipation of the recoil, you want to learn to control the muzzle rather than aiming high to compensate.

Once you've got some experience under your belt, and can shoot fairly consistently, bring a smaller target in to 5 yards, and work your way back as you improve.

Its not just distance...its a matter of training and shooting tactically as well...so drawing from a holster, ideally from concealment, and firing rapid fire, under the pressure of a timer.../ and speed reloads, and tactical reloads, and malfunction drills, etc....

As an example ...the Course of Fire I set for this week with my buddies...is 2 mags...one with 8 rds in the gun ...and one with 4 rds on your belt in a mag pouch. Chamber a round and holster your gun....at beep of timer...draw and fire 8 rds...speed reload and fire 4 Rds...( total 12 rds / par time goal is 10 sec or less)....for a class B - C shooter....time breaks down like this ( 2.0 sec for draw to 1 shot, split times for each successive shot is 0.5 sec --- speed reload to one shot is 3.0 sec...then 0.5 again for each successive shot ) so 2.0 to 1 shot...3.5 sec for next 7 shoots ...3.0 reload to 1 shot ...and 1.5 sec for last 3 shots = 10 sec for the goal.

Target is roughly 8 1/2" X 11" rectangle center chest ( approx. nipple to nipple ...and down toward belly button / 100% of the shots need to be inside the rectangle...( a shot above or below the rectangle or to left or right is a miss...) if you're over time, add another miss..../ goal is at least 90% ...so you can miss 1 shot out of 12.

Start full sized silhouette target at 5 yds, repeat drill at 6, 7 and 8 yds...( 48 rds )...and evaluate.
--------------
For a twist.....stand with back to target and gun holstered ( same drill ) as timer beeps...turn and face target, then draw and execute COF...and add 1 sec ( so 11 sec ) now....( repeat at 5, 6, 7 and 8 yds ) 48 rds...and evaluate....
------------------------
In my view - distances are realistic for self defense.../ timer adds a little bit of stress../ its a combination of speed and effective Tactical Accuracy ( not bulls eye - slow fire shooting at 25 yds ) that is a different skill set ...and it mixes in a reload. You can develop COF with dummy rounds for malfunctions, COF like putting an empty gun on bench, 2 empty mags, 12 rds...let your buddy load them any way he wants....holster gun / let him put the spare mag on your belt. Draw and fire 12 rds...reload as necessary.../ evaluate !

Beyond 8 yds....its my opinion you will probably have time to leave the threat area vs draw and fire / but if you don't think that is your situation, then practice out to 10 yds...( tactically ). Unfortunately not all ranges will let you shoot like this - which is sad..../ my local range does, if you pass a safety test with RSO ...and prove you have the skills to draw and fire safely..but you have to be a member which is about a one time charge of $ 800 ...and then an annual fee of about $100 to renew / but no other range fees - and you can go as much as you want / I go about 3 times a week...( usually 4 boxes per visit)...and work on whatever I need to ...my reloads, trigger control, my draw time to one shot ...or whatever my weakness has been for the last week or two.../ Master class shooters will laugh at my time goals ( they are significantly faster )!! But the times I use are ok ...for a bunch of mostly retired guys in their 60's....

distance to practice

I'm of the old school that if you can hit your target at 15 yds. then just about 99% of the time your real target is going to be a lot closer like 5-6 yds. I always start off at 15 yrds. fire between 12 and 18 shots, bring it back to see my groupings then go out to 7 or 8 yds. shoot another 4 or 5 groups of 6. Then I switch my target to the one that has 8 or 9 small circle targets and practice
shooting at individual spots at 7 or 8 yds out. By then I've gone thru at least
2 boxes of 50 or more. Since I am shooting a 357 mag most of my loads are 38 specials. I also make sure I fire a couple of mag loads so my hands remember. Hope this helps. This was how I was taught and it works for me. Good luck.
One more thing, I first practiced SA. As I progressed I started shooting more and more DA. Now I shoot almost always DA because i don't think in an emergency that I'll have the luxury of cocking the trigger, sighting, taking a deep breath then firing.
Respectfully,
Doc

Last edited:
I am a novice shooter and plan to use my handgun for self/ home defense. Thank you.

Its not just distance...its a matter of training and shooting tactically as well...so drawing from a holster, ideally from concealment, and firing rapid fire, under the pressure of a timer
:eek::eek::eek:

Maybe some basic shooting @ common SD distance would be advisable before trying to become Quick Draw McGraw!
Being "under pressure" would most likely have an adverse, and possibly tragic effect on a noviceshooter.

Ok, you're right -- a novice shooter needs to take small steps...before they attempt some level of "tactical training". Drawing from a concealment holster is not a novice skill...and the time I suggested should be adjusted based on experience and ability....safety, and proper technique for drawing and reholstering, is always a primary issue over speed.

But at some point....most shooters that are looking for personal defense get involved in concealed carry...and slow fire, bulls eye practice, at long distances isn't the skill set they need...its not "tactical shooting" ....and practice is relative...( practice for what )...home defense, carry, bulls eye shooting, etc.../ with the OP, maybe professional instruction would be a better recommendation....a basic skills class, an intermediate skills class where holsters and drawing a weapon are part of the curriculum - and ultimately some advanced training...before a person gets into carrying a weapon...

But tactical shooting is not a "quick draw McGraw" cartoon either...its a skill set - and to some extent, it is appropriate in my view that it be measured by time as well as accuracy. Slow fire - Bulls eye shooting at 25 yds is a waste of time and money ...if the OP's question is geared more toward "Tactical" practice...which is what I assumed he was asking....my mistake.

I don't sell books...but a good book I'll recommend to the OP and anyone interested in self defense shooting...is called Combat Handgunney by Massad Ayoob.../ its a paperback -currently in its 6th edition and about $ 20 from a lot of different sources...Amazon, gunshows, etc.../ it discusses a lot of Tactical and Defense shooting skills in great detail. The book is a good addition to any shooters library ...novice or experienced...and especially to anyone considering carrying concealed.

I answered three yards but I really wanted a category that was three feet to seven yards.

Oh, I can shoot very well at greater distances but I'm an old man and figure that should I ever really have to pull a handgun, it'll be close and closer.
And I won't really be using my sights as without my reading glasses I can't see them very well or at all any way.

You should have an "all of the above" category.

Begin at 7 yards. Hit what you aim at from there and go from there. Each trip to the range spend some time shooting at longer ranges than normal.

tipoc

You should have an "all of the above" category.
I agree.

You need to practice as much variation as you possibly can, but you need to be realistic about things too.

Practice more up close than at a distance, at least until you start to become more comfortable and proficient. As you get better, then move back until its a challenge, but continue to work on the close range stuff as well.

If your weak in the basics, then practice them (at a distance you can reliably make good hits) until you can shoot without thinking about doing it. You need to have the basics down before you try anything "energetic".

Another thing you need to do is, dryfire and practice presentations constantly, when not at the range. This is just as important as firing live ammo, if not more so. By constantly, I mean everyday.

Understand that what you do on a static "bulls eye" range, is not what youre likely to see when shooting a little more realistically. Dont get all caught up in thinking you need to shoot tiny little groups all the time. Any hit is a good hit, as long as youre not the one taking them. Close enough is good enough, as long as its close enough. ;)

Just realize that if you can keep them in what is generally accepted as a vital zone (on realistic targets), on demand, especially if youre doing so quickly, while drawing, moving, shooting with or without sights, etc, youre doing good.

Having the basics down, and being able to shoot those little groups, on demand as well, makes the above all that much easier, and likely. You do need to understand, that the basics are just that, basics, and dont just get stuck there.

I am an avid "dot" shooter. Whether they are made with a marker or you use the small stick on ones. Once I can shoot one hole groups at a distance, I move out a little further. If your marksmanship is good enough to shoot one hole groups consistantly, the transition to high stress tactical within combat range is almost second nature. You will not be shooting one hole groups but will be more than sufficient for defensive work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back