What qualities matter the most in a handgun?

What qualities matter the most in a handgun? Pick your top three.

• Weight

Votes: 17 10.7%
  • Concealment

Votes: 14 8.8%
  • Caliber

Votes: 42 26.4%
  • Ammunition Capacity

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Reliability

Votes: 143 89.9%
  • Accuracy

Votes: 80 50.3%
  • Durability

Votes: 59 37.1%
  • Looks

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 19 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caliber (the one I'm looking for)

Reputation (a well-known manufacturer)

Overall size (physical)

When it comes to ergonomics, I adapt to the gun, the gun doesn't need to adapt to me. I learned all about that while serving in the military.

It's not the gun in hand that assures any measure of accuracy, but rather, the hand on the gun. ;)

Last edited:
Accuracy and reliability were my top 2, I equate reliability with durability so that was out as my 3rd choice and then I struggled because after the first 2, it starts to depend upon the intended use. I ended up voting caliber, because sometimes a .380, .32...etc won't cut it, or they am be totally appropriate if the alternative is a rock or a sharp stick. Fit makes sense as others have mentioned, and a low bore axis makes for more rapid follow up shots, so that may be my "other."

wayneinFL, all I am saying is that if a gun breaks because it is not durable, it isn't very reliable either. I will agree that an unreliable gun could be very durable and last forever.

I think the safety system, including the parts that people interface with (trigger, levers) are incredibly under-rated in their importance, as well as outright misunderstood. Safety mechanisms didn't even make it to this poll - yet we're talking about deadly weapons.

Weird.

Reliability, trigger, grip size / angle, ammo cost / availability....

(personally found all the above in my old German P226 fwiw)

1. Reliability
2. Durability
3. Accuracy

I only need it to shoot "accurate enough" to save my butt. Above all, though, it must shoot and not break if I'm thrown to the ground.

Reliability and durability kinda go hand in hand. How can you have a durable gun that is not reliable, or vice versa?
I'd concider a Charter Arms Bulldog to be reliable but not real durable. And if I put the lightest trigger spring in my Redhawk it'll become quite unreliable but remains extremely durable.

UUUHHHH...This is hard!!!!

I really, really, really wanted to add looks to my list of things important. But I couldn't

I had to pick in this order

1) Caliber: Pick the right one for the job at hand. I'm not going into bear country with a 25 acp. I know shot placement is king but I'm still not doing it.

2) Accuracy: someone else on here said it best "I'd rather be shot in the foot with a 50 cal BMG than in head with a 22." If it won't hit where your aiming, why bother?

3) Reliability: I'll take malfunctions at the range but no where else.

I really did want to put looks on there. That's the first thing that catches my attention, then I look to see if they have it in a caliber I want. I keep thinking of Glocks as I take this poll and I won't buy one because they are too ugly. I can't get past it. Ironic isn't it.

If somebody says that an item is durable, I would expect it to work when needed. If it doesn't work because somebody screwed with it, it is no longer durable, unless you are using it for a hammer.

I don't want a durable gun that don't work.

For me:

1: Reliability
2: Accuracy (to whatever degree you expect for the purpose)
3: Other

#3 depends on what the gun is for, there isn't a universal for me. Carry guns gotta carry, range guns get to be pretty, or strange, or whatever.

For a gun that will be or may be used for defense, only reliability counts. Most SD use is at under ten feet, so accuracy is basically irrelevant, as are sights and trigger pull and, within reason, ergonomics.

Now for a collector gun, the criteria will be different, but I don't think that is what the OP meant.

Jim

For a gun that will be or may be used for defense, only reliability counts. Most SD use is at under ten feet, so accuracy is basically irrelevant, as are sights and trigger pull and, within reason, ergonomics.

I would agree with the above. At close range you are going to point and shoot, you won't always have time to take careful aim so basic sights are good enough. As for trigger pull if bullets are flying past your head you won't know or notice if your trigger pull is 4 lbs or 10 lbs. Reliability has to be number one, as for those that are saying the firearm has to fire every time the trigger is pulled there is no guarantee that any firearm will not malfunction.

For self-defense: Reliability

For target shooting: Accuracy

For "survival" scenarios: Durability

Which isn't to say that you can't get all of these requirements in one handgun.

1. COOL FACTOR:> It's not enough that it performs well in every way, as it should, it has to look great as well. If it has some history, mystique, or cachet, all the better.
2. PRICE FACTOR:> Value matters. It has to be a really good deal.
3. FUN FACTOR:> I have to really enjoy shooting it, showing it off, even cleaning it and taking it apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back