what pistols did the 1911 and beretta 92 compete against?

Manta there is obviously some color in that commentary.

The Glock is a quick firing gun though with it's reset. I think the officer was just making that point to a public that isn't very hip to guns.

I'm pretty good with a shot timer, and I can't do 5 in 2.00 from a draw, nor know anyone that can. I can do 3 in under 2.00 if I'm Doing well that day.

Wow a G17 over a Sig 226, price had to be a factor with this?
These competitions are run based on pre-determined requirements and rules. Some of those rules and requirements can seem esoteric or irrelevant to a gun owner.

A really, REALLY good gun can fail a competition if it can't meet one of those requirements. That can even be true if the gun is otherwise capable of outperforming all the other firearms in the competition.

For example, in one of the U.S. competitions, a S&W entry was disqualified because the firing pin energy was too low to meet the pre-determined requirement.

Raimius, were you trained to actually use the safety while carrying the M9?
I will only speak for myself, and things might have changed drastically, but during my stint in Marine Corps Security Forces from '90-'92, then regular infantry units until late '93 we carried our M9's in Condition 2 (round chambered w/safety on), and were trained to disengage the safety upon presentation from the holster. Got very proficient with it but, it's a royal PITA when you have small hands lol!

Now see we did not in training in the Corps in the mid 80's. We carried it round in chamber safety off. Pull gun, pull trigger. We were not security though strictly combat arms.

In the Coast Guard doing LE we carried it the same, no safety. Pull gun, pull trigger.

“Glock was the clear winner,” said Warrant Officer Mark Anderson, a Royal Marine and the project’s requirements officer. “Within two seconds you can put five rounds on a target.”

That's only significant depending on the distance and size of the target.

In any case that tells you more about the shooter than the gun as most guns will do that reliably with a capable shooter. That includes revolvers.

If that 2 seconds includes a draw then it still says more about the shooter.

Not a bad article for pieces of this type. The most significant thing about the contest may be the requirements. There is no mention of what they were in the article and I haven't read about those anywhere.

tipoc

Thanks for the responses on the carry conditions and manual of arms from the service folks. The disparity is interesting, but not unexpected.

Concerning that (forgive me for a vulgar word) Bloomberg article:

as a second armament in case their SA80 rifle fails

and

Every soldier in Afghanistan will have the ability to have a pistol

It looks like there is not much confidence in the UK standard rifle :eek: Actually the H&K upgrade to the SA-80 weapon seems to have made it entirely acceptable, except for the part about upgrading only about 2 of every 3 rifles.

I wonder how the UK troops are carrying the Glock, meaning is there a round in the chamber?

And after viewing this photo of Prince Harry in his Afghanistan service days, I'm surprised they were allowed to replace the Browning, which I notice is not some ancient pistol but rather the MkIII version. And I like his hat! :p

Prince Harry with Browning

Bart Noir

No competition here but double action, de-cock, capacity and caliber. The 1911 is still a finer shooter, though I do like my Berettas!

Back