what pellets work best

HohnKSa- thanks makes sence dial in the site using the pellets im going to use and im thing about buying a barrel a 24" or shorter do you think the long barrel will slow do the pellet more with the friction form the inside more than a shorter barrel?

tatera- yea i didnt know that i didnt even know what they were but i dont even get many of them

(repeat)- I want to buy a better one/w scope I am willing to spend about 250 more if needed but id rather not. Witch gun do you recommend for me. (No co2 break barrel only) I don’t know if this will help you recommend a gun for me but I live on about a half acer of land.(im a loser and I like that the black and grey CIA looking guns)

(repeat)- i live in california if that helps in the sgv but iv bin looking at the
crosman Tac 1 Extreme by crosman
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=1223

for a .22 cuz that sounds good now and a
viper by gamo
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=1017

for the .177

do you think the long barrel will slow do the pellet more with the friction form the inside more than a shorter barrel?
In a springer, the pellet is given a tremendous "boot" to get it going. Anything past the first few inches of barrel length is actually slowing the pellet down due to friction. The pneumatics (pump-up, single-stroke or pre-charged) operate more like firearms in that barrel length increases velocity--to a point. As with firearms, as the power decreases, maximum velocity is reached in a shorter an shorter barrel. Or, said another way, as power decreases, the friction dominates more quickly.

For what it's worth, 24" is pretty long for an airgun barrel.

One other thing. If ammo cost is a serious consideration, .177 is hard to beat.

I too have wondered why the barrels are so long on springer guns. Seems to me the better setup for a barrel cocker would be a fairly short barrel 12-14" with a longer shroud for cocking. I think a good experiment would be to take one of the cheap Chinese side cockers and start cutting the barrel back an inch at a time and chrono the results.

Please don't shoot a cat with a pellet gun. That is unethical, and gives hunters and shooters a bad name. Use enough gun to put the critter down quickly, commensurate with the animal's size. A .22 short, long, or long rifle is the minimum for a cat.

i only shoot cat because i truly do hate them for one im really alergic to them and second there idiots i always have to pick them up off the ground because they keep coming back into my yard even they know i have a pitbull
and its this long process were i get a bucket put a trash bag in the bucket and then try and use my shovel to make the cat land in the bucket without it touching the sides so i can tie it up and throw in my neighbors dumpster it all could really be avoided if they just stayed out of my yard so i like to shoot em.
my dogs [stats]
103cats 23birds 11goffers 4 posums 2dogs
NO joke either iv bin keeping track since the day i got him he's almost 8 years old now human years

(repeat)- I want to buy a better one/w scope I am willing to spend about 250 more if needed but id rather not. Witch gun do you recommend for me. (No co2 break barrel only) I don’t know if this will help you recommend a gun for me but I live on about a half acer of land.(im a loser and I like that the black and grey CIA looking guns)

(repeat)- i live in california if that helps in the sgv but iv bin looking at the
crosman Tac 1 Extreme by crosman
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/mo...?model_id=1223

for a .22 cuz that sounds good now and a
viper by gamo
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/mo...?model_id=1017

for the .177

I too have wondered why the barrels are so long on springer guns. Seems to me the better setup for a barrel cocker would be a fairly short barrel 12-14" with a longer shroud for cocking.
Some of the more compact springers have barrels that are comically short--the Webley Vulcan is one example.

I have seen the result of a barrel shortening test on a springer--it keeps getting faster and faster as the barrel gets shorter. I can't remember the point (if there was one) where the trend reversed. I'll do some reading if I get a chance and see if I can find the test.

so a longer barrel would work better with a co2 gun why dont they use compressed air i use it in my paintball gun and it way more consistent

Rws

I've got an old RWS I still like to shoot a lot. What ranges are you guys hitting from? I can't ever figure the drop on this thing very well. I got it when I was young, and haven't dialed it in in quite some time.

When dealing with "conventional airguns and pellets" the drop becomes very pronounced out around 50 yards (the exact distance depends on the particular airgun & pellet, but when you get past 50 yards, they all start to fade pretty fast). Just a couple of feet of ranging error past that distance will guarantee a miss on the small targets usually considered appropriate for airguns.

It's not an accuracy issue, it's being able to range the target accurately enough to figure the drop. Then there's the wind. A typical "diabolo" style pellet is not at all wind resistant...

i only shoot cat because i truly do hate them for one im really alergic to them

I don't give a fat flying flip whether you hate them or you drop dead instantly in their presence. Read what I said again. Be ethical and use a .22 long rifle firearm, or trap them, or leave them alone. A pellet gun is not an ethical way to dispatch a cat. And start using PUNCTUATION and CAPITALIZATION on this forum. It is required...go read the terms and conditions of being a member.

Back