What oh what do you say at a time like this.

Thanks for the REALITY check DT Guy!

I am a long time acquaintance with two undercover law enforcement folks and long time friends with several more LEOs who are always armed. This discussion has encouraged me to speak to, call and write to each of them. The summation of the response is that the same people who are not aware enough of the gun and where it is and how it can be discerned; are similar to the people who have negligent discharges and call them accidental.

The situation is one of different degrees of negligence. I know I have been guilty of negligence in some areas as well; spelling, driving, walking at night without really maintaining a high awareness, not washing fruit… but I seek always to not do it again. Different areas of responsibility and/or negligence have different levels of repercussions and dangers.

In another area, to put this into a prospective to one many are guilty of; is not looking both ways when going through a green light or running a yellow light without knowing the consequences. I worked at busy intersections for several months, all over the country. Negligent green light runners were constantly, at every light, hit by negligent yellow light or red light runners. Some died.

Showing a concealed gun may not always be deadly dangerous; but for my two long term acquaintances in deep cover… it probably is. For civilians and regular police who show a concealed gun it is usually a matter of embarrassment.

OR, as one cop I've known since first grade, who has worked all over America and some parts overseas; as that person put it, there are a small portion of CCW holders who want people to know they are “holding” as a show of masculinity or a show that they may be a cop… that person had disdain for those who show.

Personally, I think it is just one more area for a CCW holder to stay alert all the time to self... and self appearance in all ways... as well as surroundings.

I never thought of the problem, consciously, that is, but I just ordered an LFI holster for my K-frame and specified a thumb break without really thinking about it. And when it came time to holster my new microKahr, besides the pocket holsters, I figured I ought to have an IWB just to have one, and I got it straight-up for appendix carry. I'm also thinking about SmartCarry for my G17. There are lots of ways to avoid uncovering or dropping.

I asked a local deputy a question in the neighborhood library (about when they were going to get around to sending me a charity appeal letter, which it turns out they don't do) while wearing a P32 in a front pocket holster and during our talk he pointedly looked at my pocket twice. Probably my microKahr shows even more, but it seems that in general, concealment means having it covered up with no Brownie points lost for "tells."

happens to us all

i think anyone that has carried for awhile has had that happen to them.
i shoot at the range alot most of the time i am good for at least 1000 rounds three times a week, so i spend alot of time there. you can get real used to having MR big shot on your hip. so one time i walked into the gas station with my 1911 still on my hip, the guy behind the counter looked at me like i was the antichrist. i just smerked and giggled, paid and left. it was good for a laugh at work the next day.
i think most people expect to see things like that at some piont in time so just nodding and going about your own business is more than enough. (or you could take it out and show it to the kid simply responding with "teach em while there young"/smile.) lol have fun with this one everyone... joe.

I was at a "party" at a friends house, but didnt know everybody there. I had my pistol in the center of my back IWB. I was continuously bending over, and I'm sure it had been visible for quite sometime whena girl sitting on the couch behind me, shyly and inqusitivly, but without fear asked, "is that real" I immediatly knew what she was tlaking about, reached back and covered it again. I smiled and said "yea, sorry my shirt must have ridden up" Then she asked to see it. Before I talk of what ~I~ did, what would you have done?

The first and last time I was made, thanks to failing to tuck in my shirt and leaving my jacket in the car, I found out when I was grabbed from behind by the local police, in a state where open carry is legal.

I agree with all the "keep it covered" suggestions. Concealed means concealed.

However, the question was, "what would you do?"

I would smile and wave, and say "don't worry, I'm licensed by the State." No need to be more particular than that.

I agree, if you carry all the time, you will sooner or later be outed. Kids are the worst.

I have been outed once. A kid and a soccer mom were my "witnesses". I stated that my license was with the Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections. In Louisiana, this is true. It sounds so official that the person immediately thinks you are a LEO of some sort eventhough you simply state the truth.

The main thing is to stay calm, reconceal, and offer an explanation if one is reasonably requested.

mvpel said:
The first and last time I was made, thanks to failing to tuck in my shirt and leaving my jacket in the car, I found out when I was grabbed from behind by the local police, in a state where open carry is legal.

Did they give you a hard time, or were they just trying to educate you?

Dont say your a cop, if your not one, thats impersonating one and is not a good idea,

What if they ask for a badge, Now your lying and your a bad guy.
Look her right in the eye and say " I have a permit, and I'm here to keep you safe." I would also say that I work in a gun store which is true.
Luckly it has never happned but I have thought about it.
But the best policy is always to be truthfull.

I have carried a gun everyday single day for almost 10 years. I have never spilled my gun or been made and this includes one fight and motorcycle accident.

I'm not picking on you guys but if you are losing your gun and concealment you have not made the commitment to concealed carry. This can be a lot of things but carrying a gun that is too big or using a holster poorly designed for concealment like a OWB pancake with a full size gun while wearing a improper cover garmet.

Some guys don't think being made is a big deal until the SHTF and they are singled out. Concealment has way more advantages than a fast draw.

It kind of sucks but carrying a big gun is a PIA if concealment is a priority.

It is real easy to pick up on the dead give aways of CCW. Most people don't notice but a small percentage do notice.

It is real easy to not show you gun but it is a lot harder to be truly concealed.

Really who are you kidding with the safari vest and a GLOCK hat?

How about the guy with a wind breaker in 90 degree weather.

Or the guy with really out of place untucked shirt?:)

I smiled and said "yea, sorry my shirt must have ridden up" Then she asked to see it. Before I talk of what ~I~ did, what would you have done?

I would have said, "Sorry, it's loaded."

Avizpls: excuse me, what is "being made" Signed, ignorant and appoligetic

"Being made" is someone realizing you are carrying even if you have taken the steps to conceal.

I've been carrying concealed...

...for over eight years, and I have been "made" only one time, as far as
I know. I was driving from Laredo to Corpus Christi when I had to stop
at a Border Patrol checkpoint.
The officer asked me to open the trunk, and as I stepped out of the car
I felt the PPK I was carring in my waistband (no holster) shift, and I
reached down with my right hand and "adjusted" the pistol through
my shirt. Talk about a "Tell".
Of course the officer caught it, and immediately asked me if I was carring a weapon. As he backed away from me with his hand on his pistol.
I said "Yes, Sir", and proceeded to inform him that I had a concealed-carry
license. That said, he proceeded to examine the trunk of the car for
illegal aliens, and when he found none, he let us go on our merry way.
He did ask to see my concealed-carry license, after he was through looking in the trunk. He said he had never seen one before, and just wanted to know what one looked like.

Back