What not to do, Muscle Memory gone bad

"Didn't Bill Hickock kill his friend and deputy like that.
In the middle of a shoot out with some drunks, he heard someone coming up behind.
He spun around and fired, killing his deputy, Dave, who was running up to help him"

Yes, that's supposed to be true. That happened in the middle of an active gunfight. A lot different than "training" yourself to automatically turn, draw and fire at a noise behind you. Mark

1. Do not establish a good stock weld on a collapsible stock as I was trained to do on an M-16. Must keep head Erect like shooting a pistol.

What kind of collapsible stock do you have that doesn't use the exact same recoil spring tube as a standard stock? On every AR or M-16 or M4 I've ever fired you use the exact same cheek weld (nose touching charging handle) whether it has a fixed or collapsible stock.

best to learn things right the first time, I am having a lot of trouble breaking bad habits when it comes to pistol shooting due to "teaching" myself... rifle shooting on the other hand...

I learned on the original M-16. My Instructors taught me to place my cheekbone on the stock. I fired expert. I never fired competitive rifle. I Captained the 5th Division Combat Pistol team. In 1976.

The tube on the Collapsible stock is about 2 inches lower than the top of the original M-16 stock I shot for some 22 years. None of my instructors, all of whom were Vietnam Veterans with 6 bronze stars, 4 Silver Stars, two Distinguished Marksman awards between them said any thing about putting my nose on the charging handle.

Back