What non-pistol caliber rifle should I get for sport?

MarkCO said:
Nathan, do some research, there are some factory ARs with top shelf match triggers.

It sounds like you have done the research….can you share at least one?

MarkCO said:
You can go with a JP, which is where the origin of better shooting, match grade ARs lies, or take a look at some of the others, like Stag and Armalite that come with match grade barrels and triggers and usually a better buffer system.

I looked at all 3 and didn’t really see that. JP seems like the closest, but they are really a gamers gun. They are also a semi-custom build.

I guess I’m saying that if you want a smooth running AR15 with a top shelf barrel, trigger and recoil system, you will have to build and tune it. This is because most AR’s follow the mil spec operating specs geared towards running all ammo, in blowing sand and extreme temperatures. If you want to run premium ammo, in a clean rifle at 60-80 deg, you can dial most of that extra power out of the action.

If you go with a reverse recoil system where springs, buffers and noise are in front of your ears, you will be better off. Then just add a good trigger.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I got the impression from the OP that he isn't interested in building an AR.

Remember, its OK to not love an AR. Some folks just don't like them. And some folks simply don't want to have to buy a gun, then add/change parts to get what they are looking for.

The OP sounds like a casual shooter, has little experience with rifles, tried an AR and didn't like it.

Why he didn't is entirely his business, and I don't think advice about "build it this way" is what he's looking for.

I suggested an M1A, mostly because it's a good rifle, and quite different from anything he has tried before, which he may not like, either. Again, that's his business.

Well sort of late but considering:
In your experience, what semi-auto gun(s) would satisfy these requirements of good trigger/good ergonomics/good feelings? Let's say there is no budget limit.

With semi-auto in mind I like my M1A and my old AR10T. Either should fit what you want but neither comes inexpensive as far as a quality version goes. Then too I am not you and have no idea as to your taste in a rifle.

Ron

I've got a Scorpion that I registered as an SBR. They need a cheap trigger kit out of the box, but other than that they are good to go. suppressed and with an MRO sight it's really fun. It is one of my least expensive options, but would probably be the first rifle I'd grab if I needed something to protect myself with.

In your experience, what semi-auto gun(s) would satisfy these requirements of good trigger/good ergonomics/good feelings? Let's say there is no budget limit.

Thanks!!

M1 Rifle... from the CMP.

74242381_685376521871934_1670500600334254080_n5-1133802.jpg

73306391_534029510725909_519874575358492672_n3-1134164.jpg

... while they last.

Red

A mini 14 will not be as accurate but they don't have the buffer tube under your ear with the sprinky zinging noises. A strut will help with accuracy. They have a cla- chunk sound when the action closes like an M1. They are just as loud in 5.56 as your AR but very reliable. As a self defense plinker, you may like the weight, size and action and the new ones have a low mount red dot rail included. A tactical bolt gun in 5.56 might also be a good choice but otherwise step up to 308, 7.62x39 or the up and coming 6.5 creedmore if accuracy is your goal.

Back